New Small Block Headers

-
I bought several sets from A/Z over the yrs, and also had a coupla sets from Jegs price matched after A/Z declined my Canadian C/card, - their loss .

Last edited:
1. No real header will fit power steering. Ever.
2. What Hooker or Hedman header part number are you talking about? I don’t care what name is on the box, a 1.875 tube will hang lower than a 1.625 tube. It has to.
3. I don’t do step headers and a 1.750 tube is good for a pretty much dead stock 318-340-360. You want to make power you use a 1.875 tube.

If you are buying your headers from a parts store or some off the shelf junk from Summit or Jegs you are wasting power. It looks like they make a great header. The price doesn’t bother me. The dumb step design does. If they made a straight 1.875 tube header that would excite me.
Power steering and 4 speed. "DOUGS" I couldn't believe it myself. Steel mounts they don't hit or make any noises

100_0129 (2).JPG

100_0130 (3).JPG

100_0033 (4).JPG

100_0034 (3).JPG

These headers are a pain.
rubbed on the Mopar mini starter on driver side, stud was buggered up anyhow, went down to the auto parts store and looked at 92,98 and 99 Dakota starters. 98 looked marginally smaller than the others, all three were different one way or another. Been a long time since I bought one of they indeed are, didn’t remember them being any different.
now have little better than a 1/4 inch clearance where it rubbed before. This starter has like octagon beveled edges on it, the others didn’t. Didn’t want to have to beat on the tubes.
Shorty Wix filter( no 90 degree fitting) fits about like the Doug’s did, snug to the filter diameter but it clears.
Headers are snug to the passenger side torsion bar, and two tubes on each side go over, and two under the drag link bars. Not all over like I thought. Ground clearance looks Ok though…I hope.
have to figure out what to do with mufflers up on a lift at a guy I know’s shop who does a lot of exhaust work.
With a buddy( good mechanic) doing most of the grunt work, getting close to done 6 hours later. Thank God, no way I could get under the car and back up 800 times like he has.
Tons of room, really more than expected/ needed around the oil pan( Kevco.
Will post some pics when I get it on a lift, probably within next week or so.

EDIT..with the passenger collector on( it’s a bitc—) because #8 is touching it lightly….the oil filter won’t go on. It’s a 1068 Wix
does anyone make an oil filter that is a bit less circumference. This one looks about 1/4 too big around to work.

not a happy customer. What I paid for these, they fit nowhere remotely as nice as the Doug’s I took off.
issues with starter, issues with passenger side torsion bar( driver side has TONS( probably 4 inches) of clearance. And oil filter won’t fit. And last thing I want is a 90 degree adapter.
another thing, on most every slip tube collector, the tubes are cut a bit different lengths to make it easier to get the tubes in. These all 4 are cut off even/ straight…DUMB
SO…it isn’t done, need to hopefully find a smaller oil filter

Last edited:
These headers are a pain.
rubbed on the Mopar mini starter on driver side, stud was buggered up anyhow, went down to the auto parts store and looked at 92,98 and 99 Dakota starters. 98 looked marginally smaller than the others, all three were different one way or another. Been a long time since I bought one of they indeed are, didn’t remember them being any different.
now have little better than a 1/4 inch clearance where it rubbed before. This starter has like octagon beveled edges on it, the others didn’t. Didn’t want to have to beat on the tubes.
Shorty Wix filter( no 90 degree fitting) fits about like the Doug’s did, snug to the filter diameter but it clears.
Headers are snug to the passenger side torsion bar, and two tubes on each side go over, and two under the drag link bars. Not all over like I thought. Ground clearance looks Ok though…I hope.
have to figure out what to do with mufflers up on a lift at a guy I know’s shop who does a lot of exhaust work.
With a buddy( good mechanic) doing most of the grunt work, getting close to done 6 hours later. Thank God, no way I could get under the car and back up 800 times like he has.
Tons of room, really more than expected/ needed around the oil pan( Kevco.
Will post some pics when I get it on a lift, probably within next week or so.

EDIT..with the passenger collector on( it’s a bitc—) because #8 is touching it lightly….the oil filter won’t go on. It’s a 1068 Wix
does anyone make an oil filter that is a bit less circumference. This one looks about 1/4 too big around to work.

not a happy customer. What I paid for these, they fit nowhere remotely as nice as the Doug’s I took off.
issues with starter, issues with passenger side torsion bar( driver side has TONS( probably 4 inches) of clearance. And oil filter won’t fit. And last thing I want is a 90 degree adapter.
another thing, on most every slip tube collector, the tubes are cut a bit different lengths to make it easier to get the tubes in. These all 4 are cut off even/ straight…DUMB
SO…it isn’t done, need to hopefully find a smaller oil filter
Quaker State makes one that is really small in diameter. I got one once out of necessity and honestly thought it was wrong when I got it out of the box it's so skinny. Sorry no part # if I find it I'll post it up.

Quaker State makes one that is really small in diameter. I got one once out of necessity and honestly thought it was wrong when I got it out of the box it's so skinny. Sorry no part # if I find it I'll post it up.

51348 WIX ended up working. It’s SMALL. Dont want to have to use a 90 degree adapter.
can’t believe how “ lopsided” these headers are.
Driver side has adequate room, except very, very tight around starter.
Passenger side…wow. All 4 tubes are wrapped around the torsion bar on that side. #8 practically touches, and the collector comes over so far it nearly hit’s the rocker. Tons of room around oil pan.
gonna have to really “ cut over” with a 45 I think to get the mufflers/ and short 3 inch pipe through the cutout on that side.
Interestingly, on the driver side, what I had behind the Doug‘s will work, just don’t have the 3 bolt flange to bolt to is all.
I suspect the guy with the 70 4 speed Duster they used to build these headers is the only car they worked the headers up on.
And it wouldn’t surprise me if he had a 90 degree adapter on his car, otherwise they would have been out and out negligent with the room they left to screw a filter straight in.
and my motor is sitting perfectly where it’s supposed to be, that isn’t/ wasn’t the issue.
passenger tubes were so close to the torsion bar it was nearly impossible to get the collector on, loosen this tube, tighten that tube, yada, yada.
Hopefully they work better than they fit, they have zero over Doug’s regards fit….. and two over and two under the link on both sides, not all four over.
so the guy with the Duster who posted up thread about how they had more clearance than anything he had seen…. Hasn’t seen much..lol
i will post pictures at some point soon when I get it on a lift, which admittedly would have made pounding the collectors on good bit easier, not an hour of cussing each..lol

-
Back