New smoker

-
I have an electric Cook Shack with programmable temps. Its got a wood box that sits on the heating element for real easy clean up and a built in temp probe too. So far I've done about a dozen briskets and about 40 turkey legs. I've run across wildly different times in getting past the stall on the briskets. After the cook I wrap in towels and put in a cooler for about 3 hours to finish. Still learning.

Heads up! Walmart online has Pit Boss 700 FB on sale today for $200 with free pickup at store. This is a great smoker and a smoking price. I had bought one on ebay last night and was checking on pellets when I ran across this so I ordered it too. Wish I hadn't paid almost twice that for the one last night.

Went to Walmart in Tuscaloosa this afternoon after the snow because I saw online that they had Pit Boss in stock. Finally got someone to wait on me and showed manager where I had bought one at Northport Walmart for $200 and asked if he could sell for the same price. He agreed so I bought last two at $200 each for the kids Christmas.

My Hemi orange UDS smoker, with chrome dual exhaust!!! I love doing briskets on this baby!
20171006_074205.jpg

looks awesome

I was going back and forth on building one of those. Ended up pulling the trigger on the weber because of a cyber monday sale.
You can't go wrong with a Weber product. My gas BBQ is a Weber, 15 yrs old and still perfect! Enjoy your new smoker my friend.

Second time smoking a brisket. Put it on last night at 10:00. Trying out my new (to me) camera. canon power shot sx410 si. had to put it on the lowest resolution setting to get a picture to load.

IMG_1937.JPG

Dang, looks nicely finished with the perfect amount of fat cap. You're gonna make a lot of new friends.

I also bought a Pit Boss this summer. Absolutely love the convenience of using this unit. I do however still love the taste of charcoal of off the UDS smoker. I just love smoking food in general, lol. I'm even doing some open flame cooking now on a fire pit with a removable cooking surface. Happy cooking!

20191005_045226.jpg

20191005_044738.jpg

20191018_172259.jpg

20191018_155242.jpg

228*? What is the plan, to warm them to they are done? Run that sob up to 325* and get that sh*t done. The only thing "slow & slower" does is create a thick, nasty, chewy bark. I have not "cooked" anything at 225* in years. Using flavored wood with briquettes made from "charcoal, coal, starch (as a binder), sawdust, and sodium nitrate (to make it burn better)" just does not make much sense to me, especially given the fact that you bent over buying the things, at least around here. I burn real wood charcoal, Lazzari premium cooking fuels include mesquite lump charcoal, gourmet hardwood logs, charcoal briquettes, hickory chips, smoking wood chips, mesquite charcoal sawdust for gourmet BBQ and grilling....

No whining about the price of a Big Green Egg. Buy it new it has a lifetime warranty. No reason to "shelter it from the wind"....nor "cover it with a welding blanket to keep it warm". You just light the damn thing, figure out how to get the temp where you want it...or buy a controller...and cook on the damn thing. Those metal charcoal smokers rust away. That...or all you want is a kick *** smoker go out and find yourself a used 60 gallon compressor tank, buy some .250" plate and some high heat insulation, fire up the plasma cutter and welder and build yourself a stick burner...

For those doing briskets, do you cook in a pan, or directly on rack?

I cooked mine directly on the rack. fat cap down. till it stalled at 160 than rapped it in foil until 200.
no water in the water pan.

I cooked mine directly on the rack. fat cap down. till it stalled at 160 than rapped it in foil until 200.
no water in the water pan.
Interesting, fat cap down. I have always heard to have it up.

Did a couple racks of baby backs last night on my akorn! One glazed, one dry, both delicious!

2DC600B3-CEAE-4E21-8998-01988E2123A7.jpeg

I figured it would protect the meat from the heat. Could be wrong but worked for me.
For sure a worthy idea. The rational I had always heard with fat cup up, the drippings baste the meat as the fat melts/break down.

I figured it would protect the meat from the heat. Could be wrong but worked for me.

I’ve heard it both ways, up or down. I personally go fat cap down because that’s where my heat is coming from on my particular smoker, and like you, figured it protects the meat more down there...but I’m no brisket expert by any means. They do taste good when I’m done though!

-
Back