New smoker

-
I did that once in our QC lab (mostly unused lab), it had a hood and a stove I built in my shop, Safety first ya know. About 9am the aroma was very evident floating around the yard. Come quitting time and coincidently end of cooking time I pull the lid off to put the roast in the ice/insulating chest to transport it home. I'll be dipped if a third of that roast wasn't gone! Not shrunken as meat does as it cooks. Gone! Rotten co-workers never did thank me :rofl: Sure was tasty.

AD3427EC-28B1-4776-BDE4-881626F9C427.jpeg
A2E9FF5D-ED91-4939-815E-98D4174510AB.jpeg

Anywhere near a good smoker I dare you NOT to inhale! Got mine for Christmas last year and my waistline has never been the same. Enjoy.

Gotta love those water smokers. Heat stays even, meat doesn't dry out. I never tried it myself, but other liquids can be used in the water pan for cooking. Might wanna keep them below 20 proof for safety reasons :rofl:

Now you're hooked! How hard is it to refill your charcoal for a 12 hour smoke on one of those little Webers? Here's a shot of my Oklahoma Joe's smoker. It's not a big one either but the side fire box makes it easier to add fuel on long smokes.

memorialday08001.JPG

Last edited:
Congratulations !!!
Bon Appétit.
Here's my homemade 15 year old smoker....

20171203_075107.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to get an Oklahoma joe but after reading up it doesn’t hold heat for more than a couple hours. The weber can go at least 10 hours using the minion method. There is a door on the front that allows easy access to the charcoal pan. I bought a bag of apple wood chunks off amazon for $7. Used 4 chunks. I had to add a gallon of water after 4 1/2 hours. I tried filling it through the front access door but it didn’t work very well (will be purchasing a funnel). Ended up taking the top grate out and just dumping it through the bottom grate into the water pan. While I was in there I sprayed them down with apple juice. Ended up taking 15 hours.

I had a Brinkman smoker that I couldn’t get to work for a couple years. (Didn’t hold temp)

Then I built a mini wsm (same as the smoker I bought except tiny)

Worked very well but had to trim everything to fit.

Pretty excited to try a brisket and some ribs (no trimming)

I bought a Pit Boss from Walley World earlier in the season. I have had many successful cooks. Butts for pulled pork, pork loins, beer can chicken. reverse seared steaks, brisket and the list goes on. I like hickory and mesquite for pork and beef. Apple works good with chicken. There are quite a few "smoker" groups on Facebook that are fun. Sorry to plug up your thread with all the photos. Smoke on!

2017-08-28 001 1153.jpg

2017-08-28 001 1268.jpg

2017-08-28 001 1294.jpg

2017-08-28 001 1612.jpg

2017-08-28 001 1613.jpg

D3C4BC6E-B3EC-494F-A424-F6A49540439D.jpeg
9CA94333-124C-4840-8A82-BDAD1FFCAB30.jpeg

If you zoom in on the fridge there is a delicious spam casserole recipe hahahaha

If I had a slicer I would do some Jerkey. Try a PaPa Murphys pizza sometime. The crust doesn't pick up the wood taste but the toppings do. Hard not to burn the crust. It takes a bit of practice.

2017-08-28 001 1266.jpg

I was going to get an Oklahoma joe but after reading up it doesn’t hold heat for more than a couple hours.

I should have mentioned that mine was one of the first one's built back in the late 80's not the cheap ones that are being sold now that Oklahoma Joe sold out to Char-Broil. It holds it's heat fine.

I should have mentioned that mine was one of the first one's built back in the late 80's not the cheap ones that are being sold now that Oklahoma Joe sold out to Char-Broil. It holds it's heat fine.

Not many things have gone up in quality since the 80’s. I mean look at that sweet rampage hahaha
97633A02-DEE4-4EDB-AD13-F00B41C1BB95.jpeg

I should really turn the camper around to make it look like the rampage is going to pull it Hahahaha

I was across the street at the neighbors yesterday for a birthday party.
FF808342-15B5-4891-A7BE-DE2DDC864F84.jpeg

It read in his kitchen.
I’ve had it for roughly 5-7 years. Works great every time.

:D:DGet some stainless steel welding rod 1/8" the tig variety, a couple pairs of side cutters, a container of choice of your favorite adult beverage and build some little racks to stand the ribs on end. More ribs per square inch of grill space. Fruit woods work really well on fish (never tried citrus), the nutty woods good general purpose choice. Most of the smoke flavoring happens in the first couple hours of cook time. Close the lid .. Let'er smoke. :D For charcoal burners, the charcoal in the big blue bags that we were probably all raised on, very consistent in the burn rate department. On the cold windy days, shelter it from the wind.

-
Back