New springs? And other junk.

-

1963dartgt

Reaction score
Well as the 225 is at the machine shop im contemplating what i still need. Hes gonna order a kit ordered for me with everything but the cam and lifters. Im ordering a cam from oregon cam grind 2106r. Should i get 340 spring or are stock springs good enough. Im gomna pick up a headpipe from TTi and build my exhaust from that.Im gonna get the head milled an unknown amount as i still have to measure. Also need recommendations for good assembly lube cam lube and break in oil. Thank you

Use whatever spring they recommend, that is the best policy, I forget the specs for that cam,.....but no old-school stk slanty spring is good for much. 340HP springs will handle most slanty grinds easily. Stock 318 springs are an improvement over the stockers.......

The head was rebuilt about a year ago for some guy that was using it on an irrigation pump motor. The old guy i bought it from installed new seats,valves,guides,springs and retainers then the dude never showed up to pay. I picked it up for $60 ive heard they havent had slant springs for a while. Ill email oregon cams in the morning for a recomendation cam specs are:214/210 @ .050”, 254/254 adv, .444”/.434” lift, 108 lobe sep

The stock 340 spring or the Comp 901 would get the job done.

I sent my cam to Oregon for a regrind. I told him what I had and he recommended 2 grinds. I went with the milder one because it's a driver. #818, don't have the specs handy. I never did upgrade the springs but should probably do it. Stiffer than required valve springs will just rob power. I also used the stock pushrods. 8,000 miles later and everything is good.

Comp cams has a break-in oil and the warranty for their cams is void unless used. Maybe try that. I use Lucas Hot Rod oil that I pick up at Summit. It has higher levels of ZDDP in it.

Mill your head 0.100 and don't look back. Charlie says there are no downsides.
Don't forget unless you use a steel head gasket, you'll lose some compression if using a composite. Something like 0.020 vs. 0.045?

My engine build is here
Not Fast, just "Less Slow"

Mill your head 0.100 and don't look back. Charlie says there are no downsides.
Don't forget unless you use a steel head gasket, you'll lose some compression if using a composite. Something like 0.020 vs. 0.045?

My engine build is here
Not Fast, just "Less Slow"

Whoa there partner. I said there is no downside to raising compression on a slant within reason. I would not just mill the head .100 without measuring, to see what compression ratio you would wind up with. The bigger the cam, the higher CR you can run, without getting into detonation. Gear ratio, car weight, also have a bearing on how high to go. For a mild street engine, I would shoot for about a true CR of 8.5-8.8 to 1. I have a 170 engine that is a true 9.5 to one and it was a "bear" to tune. The cam is actually too mild (Mildest MP cam).

Well i emailed ken at oregon cams and all he told me was he had a "better" spring with retainers for $130 So i guess ill go with stock 340 springs. Im still gonna cc the head as i have no idea whats been done before. Thanks for your time everyone. Im sure ill have more questions.

-
Back