New Standard Brand Ignition Switch

-

Jim Kueneman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just installed a new ignition switch on the '72 Duster. The original did not have that black wire in the third from the right position. It had the light for the shift indicator there. The outer two are the key in buzzer switch. Anyone know what this black wire is for and it is necessary for the new ignition switch? Do I just cut it and wire in the light so it matches what the main harness is expecting?

DSC_0079.jpg

You need a wiring diagram. You an download either a service manual free or an aftermarket diagram from MyMopar

That extra smaller gauge black wire not used in your model. The orange wire goes to column shift indicators light bulb. The factory poked it in a unused port of switch connector in some models. I put male and female spade terminal on the orange wire to make it up outside the switch connector. This keeps that extra wire in a safe place. I could have picked the terminals out of the connectors and moved them around. too much trouble IMO.

That extra smaller gauge black wire not used in your model. The orange wire goes to column shift indicators light bulb. The factory poked it in a unused port of switch connector in some models. I put male and female spade terminal on the orange wire to make it up outside the switch connector. This keeps that extra wire in a safe place. I could have picked the terminals out of the connectors and moved them around. too much trouble IMO.

Thanks RedFish that is what I figured. Any idea with the black wire is? Is it switched battery power or an extra ground?

lighted ignition was either pink or red wires. I'm don't recall was the extra wire on the aftermarket switch hot or ground but it didn't matter to me. It dead ended in the connector.

-
Back