New switch is shot

-

highflyer

Reaction score
I PUT A NEW STANDARD [NAPA ]SWITCH IN A YEAR OR SO AGO.....I went over to pick up some brake cleaner at the store yesterday and came back out and the car duster would turn over but not catch..checked squirters ,had fuel..after a couple cranks it still wouldn't but it tyred to run when I 22went to turn off finally after this it started and I got home..put a light between wire and plug and cranked motor..no light in window..then lite showed and it fired off..did it again no lite..after a few seconds of cranking no lite soon as the lite showed up it fired..went to put it in the garage it lit off but couldn't stop the starter from engaging..no spring tension and couldnot stop starter...I guess its safe to say the standard ing switch is toast...SO after a long story a short question..who ,what company is now making the best switch for a column mount[73 duster] switch.also,iv had motor missing probs since new and lights flickering.maybe questionable switch????.tx,,j

A bit hard to follow. Sounds like you installed a new ignition switch and think that is the reason your starter latched on. More likely, you have a connection in the wiring runs between the IGN1 (green) and Start (yellow) wires. One strong suspicion would be in the bulkhead connector, especially since you lose spark erratically and your lights flicker. Many, many posts on this. Your starter relay could also be bad.

How many keys on your key ring ??

If you have one of those monster key-rings, - swinging back and forth on the switch, can wear it out prematurely.. and cause intermittant probs like you describe..

If the switch in your car lost its spring tension and you couldn't turn the starter off and you had starting probs with it what would you think..havnt time to look yet,busy with front wheel bearings on sons tercel.but when I do ill post.forgot ign and trunk and gas key on a split ring..no weight...j

-
Back