New to engine rebuilding

-

Elís Máni

Reaction score
------
Ok first off this is not a mopar engine but im sort of practicing with an old lada 4 banger before i ever even think of rebuilding a mopar v8. So i thought i would just ask you guys since i dont really know any other forum.
-----
I just finished puting together a small 4 cylinder engine. Honed cylinders and changed piston rings (and other stuff but that is not important to this question i think) when i turn the engine over by hand (sparkplugs intalled and cam timing should be correct) i can hear hissing sound from under the pistons as they compress air in the combustion chamber. Engine has not been broken and i did put oil into cylinders.
Might be a stupit question (sorry) but in this normal? Or did i do something wrong...
Thank you in advance.

sounds like what you are hearing is air escaping from the rings which arent fully seated
they wont seal untill after the break in

sounds fine to me

what kind of engine is this?

the mopar V8 is old school
pushrods and in block cam
very simple really, chances are, if you can rebuild a modern 4 banger, the mopar LA , or even the magnum, will be a breeze

sounds like what you are hearing is air escaping from the rings which arent fully seated

sounds fine to me

what kind of engine is this?

the mopar V8 is old school
pushrods and in block cam
very simple really, chances are, if you can rebuild a modern 4 banger, the mopar LA , or even the magnum, will be a breeze
Well its not excactly a modern 4 banger but its much more modern then a mopar v8 :) its an overhead cam 8 valve 4 cylinder. Not much power but car its from is rwd, so fun in the snow.
And Thanks by the way that really helps! :D

sounds fine to me
Ditto, dyi nailed it.

just for giggles you could run a compression test B4 and after break in
or a leak down B4 and after
but as said
DIY nailed it

If the OP is wondering, the expression 'nailed it' means 'he was 100% correct'. (I learned to be careful with using common American expression when conversing with those overseas. It does not make sense to talk about carpentry with engines... LOL)

Yes... for a fact I know that Iceland (!!!) has more premium Mopars than other much bigger countries in the EU... xcept Sweden! :)
Must be those long winters.

Wasnt wondering that, quite familliar with the phrase but thank you anyway :)
No problem. I have worked for almost 20 years with some German made products, and I have to be careful how I say things when speaking to the factory. If I use an American expression, there may be a bit of dead air time on the phone while the person at the other end tries to understand my meaning LOL.

Since their English is far better than my German, I figure I owe them the courtesy to speak in clear English.

Yes... for a fact I know that Iceland (!!!) has more premium Mopars than other much bigger countries in the EU... xcept Sweden! :)
Must be those long winters.
Or perhaps because Mopars are 'cool' cars...pun intended LOL

-
Back