New to me, old laptop help

-

nothingbutdarts

Reaction score
I have a Gateway laptop that someone just gave me, I'm trying to clean it up and hopefully make it faster, my problem is:

It is a Windows XP syst. and it has a few HP items on it it won't let me remove from the add/remove function.

HP Customer Participation 7.0
HP Document viewer 7.0
HP Imaging Device 7.0
HP Photo Smart Premiere 6.5
HP Photo Smart Office Jet/Desk Jet 7.0A
HP Solution Center 7.0

When I try to uninstall I get an Error message stating HP installer/uninstaller encountered a problem and needs to close.
I went in and deleted the HP printers from The printer side and went back in and tried again to remove all the HP programs, still says the same thing.

HELP??????? Thank You!!!!

Typically instated programs don't slow a computer down unless it's a space issue. When they slow things down is if they auto start with windows. If you look next to the clock in the task bar is it full of icons or just a few? If it's loading up a lot of unneeded programs then click

Start
Run
type msconfig
then click on start up

That shows you what programs are set to automatically run when Windows boots, some you can figure out what they are some might need a Google search to see if you can disable them. If you do disable some you will get a prompt, click don't show again and go on and restart.

Also some OEM computers have a separate hidden partition that you can use to reinstall the OS and start from new, sometimes that is your best option.

If you need a hand on anything feel free to pm me.

This is likely proprietary HP software that someone installed when they got a new HP printer. I believe some of this stuff, you either need to run the uninstaller from the HP program or have the CD. Google around for the HP stuff.

I can remember when HP knew what they were doing. I'm not freekin' talking about computers, either

This is likely proprietary HP software that someone installed when they got a new HP printer. I believe some of this stuff, you either need to run the uninstaller from the HP program or have the CD. Google around for the HP stuff.

I can remember when HP knew what they were doing. I'm not freekin' talking about computers, either

That's exactly what it is.
You can also download that printer software again and install it, then it will uninstall.

Someone probably deleted the programs instead of uninstalling it and now the uninstaller is gone so it throws up an error.

go to run ...type in msconfig

look at the tap that says start up.....uncheck anything that looks it is not necessary to start with windows...alot of software went installed wants to start and run in the back ground...

went i used to use windows...only thing I let start with windoze is antivirus software...

http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

and if you really want to get brave..dump windoze and down load a copy of mint 15...it is free...

and have running it on this laptop for 3 yrs now...

-
Back