New to Mopar here..

-

vince99frc

Reaction score
My dad purchased a 67 Barracuda back in the early 90's. He started to work on it, but due to poor health it ended up sitting. He gave the car to me and my plan is to restore it and give it to my son when he turns 16.

When my dad purchased the car the internet was not as popular. He was told the car was a Formula S 383, but when I checked the VIN # the car appears to have been an original 273 car..

BH29D72194426 is the VIN on the car. The other weird part is when I showed the car to a friend he swears the car is a 68 Barracuda. You can tell the car had previous front end repair. I am wondering if someone decided to make it a 68 Formula S clone then? What do you guys think? Here are some pictures.. The ONLY VIN left on the car is inside the driver door. All the other VINs information on the car is gone.

Picture078.jpg

Picture079.jpg

Picture080.jpg

Picture081.jpg

Picture082.jpg

Picture083.jpg

Picture084.jpg

Picture085.jpg

Picture088.jpg

Picture090.jpg

Picture091.jpg

Picture092.jpg

you can tell because it has round marker lights on the side,for one thing.67s didnt have any side markers at all.nice looking car though

Odd, all the sheet metal is 68. interior is 68 as well. The lower dash pad is a 68 only item. Vin is for a 67.

I fear b4 my dad got the car something shady went on.... I have the title in hand and it has the same VIN as the car.

Or maybe the door is from a '67. The rest of the car sure does look '68. Have you looked for broadcast sheet, or look at the VIN stamped on the rad support. Something is "Fishy" pun intended.

I wonder if it could be a 68 model year produced late in 67?

My buddy was thinking the same thing since the car rolled off the line 94426th..

Seems someone went through a whole lot of trouble to make it a Formula S. Front disc brakes, hood, and badges..

Or maybe the door is from a '67. The rest of the car sure does look '68. Have you looked for broadcast sheet, or look at the VIN stamped on the rad support. Something is "Fishy" pun intended.

Where exactly on the radiator support. I looked at it today and did not see any #'s. I was told the build sheet in under the rear seat, but when I pulled it up I did not find any build sheet on the floor of the car when I removed the sheet. I agree something is "Fishy" going on here....

VIN BH29D72194426 decodes as follows:
Description Interpretation Code
Model: Plymouth Barracuda B
Price Class: High H
Body Type: 2 door sports hardtop 29
Engine: 273ci V8 2bbl (LA motor) D
Year: 1967 7
Assembly Plant: Hamtramck, MI 2
Sequence Number: 194426 194426

Vin on rad support is stamped on the drivers side, on top, between the battery on the rad.(under the the antifreeze label), another place is the trunck lip or rear speaker deck.

I will check those tomorrow. I really appreciate the help. If it is a clone I am going to put a 6.1L Hemi in it and use the entire wiring harness out of a late model. If it is actually a Formula S I am going to stay with the 383.

Im thinking the door was changed to one from a 67 273 car. Was the VIN still on the door in 68 ?

The car has a factory dual exhaust valance as well.

Welcome!

Nice cuda!

I wouldn't give it to your son when he turns 16. I would wait to he gets a little older unless you don't care much about the car. I wrecked my 68 Charger I had three different times when I was 16 and 17. My dad would get pissed and I mean pissed. My best friend just got over his son rolling his Rodeo 4 times. And yeah he is 17. LOL!

Im thinking the door was changed to one from a 67 273 car. Was the VIN still on the door in 68 ?

The car has a factory dual exhaust valance as well.

The question is if the door was changed then why was the title changed along with the door?

Welcome!

Nice cuda!

I wouldn't give it to your son when he turns 16. I would wait to he gets a little older unless you don't care much about the car. I wrecked my 68 Charger I had three different times when I was 16 and 17. My dad would get pissed and I mean pissed. My best friend just got over his son rolling his Rodeo 4 times. And yeah he is 17. LOL!

You have a point there... I might wait till he gets out of college..

The question is if the door was changed then why was the title changed along with the door?

Im wondering the same thing. It may be better to not ask that question though.

Everything about that car is 68. The marker lights, tail lights and trunk trim. grills and header panel are all 68 only.

Has your son expressed any interest in how special the car is? I'd wait even longer that when he gets out of college. I'm in process of building a '69 Dart and my son told me he wanted to help because he wants the car someday. But everytime I mention working on the car he has something else to do - and he's 26!

Has your son expressed any interest in how special the car is? I'd wait even longer that when he gets out of college. I'm in process of building a '69 Dart and my son told me he wanted to help because he wants the car someday. But everytime I mention doing working on the car he has something else to do - and he's 26!

I'll help you Dad !

Its a mystery, perhaps someone innocently lost the title or like has happned many times it went from hand to hand without being registered. My guess is, Someone got it who had a clear title to a 67 parts car so yanked the 68 info and put the 67 #s on the door. No good reason to pull the dash tag off a perfectly complete car like that. Not that I can think of.
We need a good close up of the vin tag on the door. can you tell if the door is different color underneath the current paint?
also if you don't feel like peeling up the trunk lip seal, you can lay in thetrunk and look up at it from the bottom. sometimes its stamped deep enough you can make it out in mirror. On a Road Runner and Duster its on the drivers side about 5 to 8 inches forward from the corner. At least the 194426 should be there somewhere.

That's what I would do. I have a 67 Fastback myself and I'd like to keep it in one piece if I can help it.

I said 3 times. That's the ones that my father new about because he had to help me fix the fenders. The other time well... I'll just say that I'm lucky that the car landed back on all four wheels! It had a 383 and I would fly everywhere I went because I was bad.. you know... baaad! LOL!:toothy10:

I'll help you Dad !
Thanks 'son', but it's gonna be a loooong time before someone pries my cold, dead fingers off of this Dart!!! I've waited too long for it and I'm gonna enjoy it!!!! LOL

Does the car have the fender tag still ? Check under the front seats for the broadcast sheet.

-
Back