New to the A-Body scene. 73 old lady Duster

-

Crusty Duster

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm new to A-Bodies (not just the site!) I've been looking for an older project car for a while and recently stumbled across this '73 Duster. She'd been sitting in a building for roughly a decade. It belonged to the same family since it was new. She's all original, 225, automatic, still has bias ply tires up front that were installed in the mid 80's! I'm still trying to decide which direction to go with it, leave it stock or lightly customize it to my liking, nothing extreme of course. It's far from perfect, but I believe it'd be a good start.
dusterfront.jpg
dusterrear.jpg
First time it's seen the sunshine in years!
sunshine duster2.jpg
sunshine duster.jpg

Last edited:
Baby sh1t beige, with a brown roof and a poopy colored interior.

Deluxe vinyl side moldings too!!

That's a 70's gem :)

Holy crap I love your car. I've got a modern 5.7 hemi sitting on a stand if you want to go that route

Great find. Fair warning If you wait til the slant dies to upgrade the power you gotta long wait.

I'm a firm believer that every duster needs a 440. Blown if possible.

Thanks everyone, Both sides could use the lower quarters replaced but the trunk and floor pans are solid.
Baby sh1t beige, with a brown roof and a poopy colored interior.

Deluxe vinyl side moldings too!!

That's a 70's gem :)
Im going to have to set a box of tissues in the front seat and an umbrella in the back seat. My buddy did that in his old lady Nova!

I'm a firm believer that every duster needs a 440. Blown if possible.
Are all 440s the same? I have easy access to a low mileage 440 that's sitting in an old RV. I know its not a direct bolt in. Guess I should do some research :D

Welcome aboard. That is a beautiful time capsule there. How about a couple shots of the interior.
C

welcome to the fray - best bet for now anyway - do the basics and get it running and stopping properly - see what you've got and go from there

Welcome from Texas, clean the old gal up,& drive her around while you decide which direction you want to go.

Here's a pic of the inside when it was still in storage. It does have the "Space Duster" option. The guy selling it said it was a "Gold Duster" but I couldn't find any indications of it on the window sticker. I Still need to fix the brakes before it can be driven. Even though the tires still have great tread, I'd say they'll need replaced too. I may go as far as to find another set of wheels and tires that way I can preserve the ones on it now.
duster sticker.jpg
dusterint.jpg

Thanks everyone, Both sides could use the lower quarters replaced but the trunk and floor pans are solid.

Im going to have to set a box of tissues in the front seat and an umbrella in the back seat. My buddy did that in his old lady Nova!

Are all 440s the same? I have easy access to a low mileage 440 that's sitting in an old RV. I know its not a direct bolt in. Guess I should do some research :D
Bolt in wise,no..? Start a post of your own,in the big block forums....Do the research first,save your monies.. NICE FIND!,& Welcome...

Hello this is a great site for any car info you desire, the first thing to do is to get rid of those old tires as they are likely rotten and ready to blow!!
That 5.7 would be nice but I am partial to the 360 for some reason.

-
Back