New to the A-Body thing

-

70DartSedan

Not Banned - just hiding
Reaction score
I'm John and I just plunked down a deposit for a 1970 Dart Sedan with a 225 slant 6 and a 904 TorqueFlite. This car is a basic machine. It has manual steering, manual brakes, and just a heater and AM radio. This car is a one family car so far and it is an original Illinois car. It is unrestored with one repaint and has only had the fenders replaced, only 53,787 miles on the odo.

Wow. Looks like all your restoration needs can be handled by some degreaser and a big soapy brush and you're done. Sweet score.

Yeah right :D I was thinking a good power washing to the underside, and repaint a few things but other than that, it is superb.

Welcome aboard! Great looking Dart!

Thanks, I'm told, it's a grannymobile by my friends. The original owners were the grandparents of the seller so in a way "grannymobile" is really what it is but I like it. It is pretty powerful, something, I've found out is that the 225 is really an underrated engine and people just take it for granted.:)

Here is the window sticker too:

Wow, nice car..... that will make an awesome cruiser for ya, some TLC here and there, you'll be ready to go and enjoy your car:D! Anyway's, welcome to this fine site.

Welcome. Amazing condition for Illinois.

The slant six is considered about the most rugged domestic engine ever made. They put it in trucks and vans, so the 3.7L is plenty for a compact car. There are a few guys who run 11 sec quarter miles with slants, albeit with a turbo and other special parts added, but that is faster than any current Corvette, etc.

In addition to the forum on FABO, check out www.slantsix.org for much advice. We have some slant experts on FABO who will answer any question you have.

My advice for the first things to consider would be:

1) Change to electronic ignition. Several choices. Some you can add to your existing distributor (Pertronix, Crane Cams XR700).

2) Stop rust now. Look at photos of rusted Darts to see what yours will look like if you aren't pro-active. Whenever you have the door panels off, scrape rust in the far bottom corners and spray in rust converter. Ditto for the recesses of the trunk and tire wells. Also, the bottom of the C-pillar and under the rear window.

Thanks for the reception guys, have any of you run a fancy restaurant, and organized this site to be like one? (that's a bad joke) XD. Thanks, for all the comments on the Dart. My plan was to pick her up in the Spring and take her home, the sellers don't want her out on the salty roads, I agree so I'm waiting. I'm going to repaint the air cleaner, get a repop dated voltage regulator, repaint the horn, replace the flasher, and detail the engine a little. I am going to order Eastwood HD Anti-rust and spray it on the inside of the quarters in the trunk, after fixing the surface rust in there.

Welcome to FABO from SoCal. You're going to like it here!
Great find on your 'survivor'. I think it needs to come out to SoCal for the winter to get a little exercise before heading back to Illinois. No salted roads out here. LOL!!!

Nice find, and really looks well preserved and original.
Keep us posted on your progress in "cleaning" it up a bit, which looks as though that's all it needs.

Great find; don't use Eastwood, buy ospho at ace hardware, and 3m coating from local paint supplier-save a ton of $. Get Haggerty insurance on it.

Real nice clean car you have there.
Looks like now you are a "Historical Caretaker"
Keep it well maintined and enjoy.

I've got a $400 deposit on it now (10%) and I have to come up with the rest by June 12. I'll make it by then. So $4000, it was originally listed for $5500

-
Back