New to the forum, warning, long post.....

-

Elwood67

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Adam. I'm from Ohio, about 20 mins from the Mopar Nationals. My brother told me about this site. Going with the name Elwood67 because I was reading about Elwood Engel, Chrysler's design chief from 61'-74' & I always liked Elwood Blues & his 74' Dodge Monaco.
This spring I bought my first Mopar(well, old one, I had 89,93, & 97 Dakota's.) It's a 67' Dart 270,Slant six,auto, factory POSI 7 1/4" as noted on org. dealer window sticker from Parkersburg, WV. Not really a rust bucket. Was told this car spent it's life in NC until 2005, car is very solid, great trunk & right quarter, left has some mud in it. Bad windshield seal (& or wiper arm seal, I'm told) rotted the driver's floorboard about the size of my foot or so from the top down, so I'll need to patch it & a little baseball sized hole on the other side. Thanks to factory undercoat the rest is good!
Almost good paint on it. Needs carpet & seats. Perfect dash top & org headliner is good. Not really restoring it exactly, just getting it fairly nice.
Previous owner blew head gasket and neglected to properly seal up the engine for I'd say at least a year, the cylinder walls were questionable because of the rust pitting that occured. Putting in another slant six for now from a 74' Duster that I found out is a 198 cu in. I had heard of a 170 but not a 198. I'll probably modify it to go faster, or do a V8 swap.
My brother is a ASE certified mechanic and helping my out a ton on this. Got the engine painted red a few weeks ago and pretty much ready to drop in. No insulation & just a small heater in my Dad's shop where I am working on the car so I am not touching it until probably late March.
I grew up around Mopar's. Uncle is a die-hard, I mean die-hard, Mopar guy. He has had a 67' GTX 440 since 85, the year I was born & had a 73' Road Runner until about 92 or 93. He just bought a 05 Ram SRT-10(yeah, the viper V-10 engine!) he is restoring a one owner kinda rough shape 78' Lil' Red Express & has a 76' Ram club cab.
I rode in his friend's 65 Satellite 426 HEMI drag car at the age of 5,(he popped a wheelie on a country road) and have always wanted an old Dodge or Plymouth since then. That's all it took to get me hooked! Here's a few pics of my Dart, talk to you soon!

Attachments

• 080.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 220
  • 060.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 065.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 214
  • 102.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 208
Elwood Engel also styled the suicide-door Lincolns, as well as th '67-up Darts. Love some of his stylings.

From one 67 owner to another, looks like you have a good starting point!!

Welcome to FABO!

You will enjoy this site - Lot's of good people and information.

Your car looks very solid and a good basis for fun. Enjoy working on it with your brother.

I grew up in Upper Sandusky Ohio, but now live out in SE Wisconsin. Made the trip home and then to the Mopar Nationals last August.

Plan to take my new 67 Cuda in 2012 and do a little drag racing at the Nationals. Maybe will see you there

Ma Snart

More pictures in my gallery for your viewing pleasure

Attachments

• B3 Drag Race #2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 142
Welcome to FABO, great story and a good project car you have there.

-
Back