New to V8's. 340 or 383?

-
And I get branded a 318-hater,

Go figure.......

That’s because when someone wants help with a 318 you go right to ......

Get a 360....

No worries, we all know your a closet 318 hater...
Oh! That twitch on your leg... yea.... I’m pullin it .....

Hi ho
I have and doing a restore 70 Duster, I had bought 2 440 cheap had one clean up and some machining,
With that said after tring to get the 360 out of the car, and its a small block, its tight, and after researching the torq and power are real nice, the 340 would be great for an expensive and extensive build. The 360 is relatively cheap to get and rebuild. But a tight fit but I know it fits cause I got it out. 383 , 400, 440 blocks are heavy. And are going to add bucks and fitment problems.
Your call.

Last edited:
Someone has asked if anyone has ran a 360 4 barrel against a 340 4 barrel. Well back in the mid seventies I had a valiant charger that I used to take to the drags with a hot 360 in it but my brother kindly blew that motor up in it so I had to borrow a motor to keep going. Now the engine I put in was a very low mileage (6000mls) 360. I used my alloy manifold with 650 spreadbore carb with my home made exctractors and dual exchaust, otherwise was bone stock.It was a 4 speed manual with 323 diff. Ran real good and reved just fine to six grand for a few months until the valve springs got a bit weak. My mate had a 340 charger all stock except dual exhaust but was auto. Both ran the same times, 14.4 sec qtrs.

-
Back