New to V8's. 340 or 383?

-
This is way I see the engine set up in cubic inch form. All for which can be used in the car differently and quite well.

318's make excellent grocery getters for sure with very good mileage, but, they can also get going real well if built right. It'll take more effort to go fast with a 318. But it is possible to get it screaming.

340's are fine for street & probably the best for racing. Also being a short stroke engine, you'll rely on RPM for power that hangs in there at high RPM levels.
340's are a little more expensive to build. Not to mention you still have to purchase one.

360; the longer stroke engine provides a bit more torque in the small block family than the others . Power peaks a few hundred RPM's earlier. This means you shift earlier.
They make great street, street/strip engines at a cheaper price than a 340.

383; the underrated street warrior hero of yesteryear where they were the front linemen fitted into nearly everything MoPar offered to drive. There very much like a 340 being a short stroke big bore engine. The beauty of the 383 (or the 400 if you fix the low compression issue) is they can really rev high, have bigger ports and valves that can no be fitted into a 340.

The 440 is like the 360 vs. 340 comparison. Just at 57 cubes instead of 20, there is a huge gain by going with a 440.

There is also a good reason for going with a big block besides mad cubic inches over a small block. They can be made light as a small block. Nose heavy? no, not really if you exploite what could be done. But the big catch is expenditure. It'll cost ya plenty over staying with a small block. If your wallet is a limiting factor, there's nothing wrong with a 318. They can be made to go and go quick.

Reading what you wrote, find a 340! I have had 360 and 340, my choice is for a few extra dollars you don't have to worry about fooling anyone or try fitting 10 lbs into a 5 lb bag. Plus your resale value with a 340 puts you way ahead of the 360!

340rules, comments directed at me?
I also do not understand how you can say that "stuffing 10lbs. Into a 5lbs. bag." Statement. That actually works if your embarrassed that you have a 360 (or 318)

Considering the question was a comparo between a 340 vs. a 383, I myself would go 340. I'm all ready doing a 400 in a '71 Duster.

Reading what you wrote, find a 340! I have had 360 and 340, my choice is for a few extra dollars you don't have to worry about fooling anyone or try fitting 10 lbs into a 5 lb bag. Plus your resale value with a 340 puts you way ahead of the 360!
Dont listen to this guy, Hes biased! Just look at his username: 340RULES! LOL!:grin:

So Mr. 340RULES, whereabouts in the great state of Georgia are you?

I also do not recall him wanting to race it. But drive it.

Get what ya want and never end up feeling or saying to yourself, "What if?" Or "I should have."

See, this is what kinda ticks me off. I love the 360 just as much as the next guy. The longer stroke makes it a superior street engine. However, just strolling down to your local junkyard and pulling a 360 out of a 70's, or even 80's whatever, just isnt an option anymore. The sad truth of the matter is that there ISNT anything older than mid 90's in the wrecking yards anymore. Its gotten to the point where older vehicles are worth more in scrap value than they are in parts value, and yard owners cant afford to have a bunch of old junk sitting around taking up space where they could have a 2003 impala or whatever.

Around here, you literally have to buy a CAR to the engine, and then scrap the car, provided you can actually find one with a 360 in it.

Im going through this right now myself. Im almost being forced to build a 318, because its what i already have. Not that i really mind that, I happen to like the short stroke of the 273/318/340 engines.

Not everybody will agree with me here though. Ive got a good friend who is giving me hell about building a 318. He keeps saying "Oh, Id NEVER build a 318 when you can build a 360 for the same price". My response to him is "Find me a buildable 360, and ill build one". He has yet to be able to deliver on that one.

Build what you can get your hands on. With the right parts, none of them are going to be slow. Not even the lowly 318!:D

I live right off of Buford hwy in Duluth Ga.
Just south of me about 1/10 of mile is a place called pull-a-part.
They have many 360's and 318's right now.
They have roller cam 360's and 318's. Right now as I type.
I can price one for you tomorrow and even show you location in yard!
Lets get this 360 for you to build!

cudamike13

What the heck, I will throw in my $.02 worth. A 340 is far superior to a 360 due to forged crank, full-floating rods, windage tray, 2.02 intake valves, etc. Yes, the slightly longer stroke of a 360 will give you a little more low end torque, but in my case ('65 cuda with small wheelwells) the last thing I need is more low end--my tires are already overwhelmed beow 4,000 rpm, so I would rather have the hp on the top end.

I built my 428 HP 340 With edelbrock heads for rite around $2300-$2500. If I went with my X heads it would have been about $500 cheaper. I say 340, but I also have 9 spares with tons of 340 parts. I thought about building a 360 because the longer stroke will deff. produce more torque. As far as cost the 340 is not that much more to build. Only extra cost is the cost of the block. I know up this way 360s are a dime a dozen but you mention 340 and peoples eyes really light up. All personal preference, but id go LA all the way. I just sold a 70 375HP 340 ported 2:02 Js, steel crank, forged pistons, 10:1 comp., 280/.480 cam with only 1000 mi on it for $1800. Guy put it in a barracuda and is happy as heck.
* You gave it away! You are a good guy!

I say if you find a decent 340 block with heads.. $3,000 should build you a crisp motor that will make you happy and be reliable for years.If you have no intentions of racing,or really care if a buddy beats you..You are safe with a budget of $3,000.

Cudamike, the offer on the roller 360s sounds very tempting for sure. You big city folk got it all up there! However... Im kinda worried about the same thing as 65cuda340; the car this combo will be going in is a 65 valiant. Its got skinny little 215s on the rear, and 3.23 gears. Street only duty. The 318 with the ported heads that the car had was already on the traction borderline. The heads are where I dont want to spend anymore money, since i got a buttload tied up in those already. Still may consider it though. Send me a PM. Or, if i can figure out how to do it, ill send you one.
What the heck, I will throw in my $.02 worth. A 340 is far superior to a 360 due to forged crank, full-floating rods, windage tray, 2.02 intake valves, etc. Yes, the slightly longer stroke of a 360 will give you a little more low end torque, but in my case ('65 cuda with small wheelwells) the last thing I need is more low end--my tires are already overwhelmed beow 4,000 rpm, so I would rather have the hp on the top end.

Cudamike, the offer on the roller 360s sounds very tempting for sure. You big city folk got it all up there! However... Im kinda worried about the same thing as 65cuda340; the car this combo will be going in is a 65 valiant. Its got skinny little 215s on the rear, and 3.23 gears. Street only duty. The 318 with the ported heads that the car had was already on the traction borderline. The heads are where I dont want to spend anymore money, since i got a buttload tied up in those already. Still may consider it though. Send me a PM. Or, if i can figure out how to do it, ill send you one.

There's nothing like hijacking the O.P.'s thread. :wack:

There's nothing like hijacking the O.P.'s thread. :wack:
How so? The O.P. never stated his intended purpose in this engine choice, and since the O.P. is "New to V8's" as also stated in the title of the thread itself, I happen to think that this is fairly pertinent information. Its all about the intended usage and the resourses at hand. If I had intended to FULLY hijack the thread, i never would have requested the P.M. But that is no longer relevant, as the P.M. has already been sent.

Either way, Im sure the O.P. is sitting back laughing about how his simple question got so far "off topic".

Dang, a 360 just went for $100 down here....wreckers still have 360's, look in Vans and trucks. Even a Magnum 360 is a good motor. Hey, a 318 will out rev a 360 any day. Build it with R's in mind and a tall rear gear and you will suprise many small block fans.

When they were new this would be a valid point except anybody with half a brain is rebuilding the engine for higher power a d not trusting a 40 year old engine for anything.

So since a rebuild is coming down the pile, all advantages the 340 has is a moot point except the forged crank, in which the only advantage there is IF your racing it. Otherwise the 360 can be built with all the good points of the 340.

The. Again, every oxy keeps missing the mark by arguing between the 340 vs. 360 when it is really a question of 340 vs. 383.

I'm going to buck the trend: why not keep the 273 Commando? It was the equivalent of the 340 for 1967, it has the same kind of built-in goodies that 65cuda340 was talking about, and it's a hell of a sweet-running engine. If you're not street racing or just throwing money around for bragging rights, the driving experience is just fine. Match it with a 4 speed and enjoy the way it revs. I mean, if you don't even know enough about V8s to know if you want a SB or a BB, give it a try. You might be happy as it stands.

He did say in the first post that he allways wanted a 340 a d did not need any performance mods he is not racing it. He seemed to be describing a daily driver and IMO, one that looks stock.

It is them 360 guys.He wanted a 340 or a 383.It is he is money let him do what he wants.Every time someone wants to do something different hear comes the 360 guys and take the thread way out of hand.He said he was not a 360 fan so let him do what he wants.Give advise on a 340 or a 383 and let him go from there.No one answered his question just started talking 360,s.answer the mans question. Mark
He did say in the first post that he allways wanted a 340 a d did not need any performance mods he is not racing it. He seemed to be describing a daily driver and IMO, one that looks stock.

Rumble fish 360, my apologies if I offended you! I think it was just bad timing when I posted, the most important choice has already been made (MOPAR) I live about an hour north of Jacksonville FL, transplant from up north.

Dang, a 360 just went for $100 down here....wreckers still have 360's, look in Vans and trucks. Even a Magnum 360 is a good motor. Hey, a 318 will out rev a 360 any day. Build it with R's in mind and a tall rear gear and you will suprise many small block fans.

true, a .060 over 318 with 'real good' heads, cam and gears will make big power too. all great motors and it just depends on whats available to you which u use. stroke a 318 to 390, only weak point is the main caps arent as beef as the 340/360

Hey guys I've had my slant six Duster for 10 years now but I just recently bought a 67 Barracuda fastback with a 273 commando. The car came with a SBP 7 1/4" rear and 10" drum brakes. I plan on swapping the rear for at least an 8 1/4" and the fronts to discs.

I've just began researching V8's but I've always wanted a 340 ever since I was a teenager. My question is, how much can I expect to pay to get a 340 and just have it rebuilt to regular factory specs? I'm not interested in racing it so I don't need performance mods or anything. I just want a nice looking car that looks like it could be original. If I buy a 340 block for $500, how much can I expect to pay for heads and to have it rebuilt? I'm just looking at ballpark here.

Some of these Barracuda's came with 383's so I've been wondering about those as well. They almost seem cheaper than 340's. What's a ballpark number as far as buying one and having it rebuilt?

Also what are the pros and cons of a 340 vs. a 383 in this car? The 340 seems like it would just drop right in. Are there certain mods needed to drop a 383 in or would I just need different motor mounts since some cars originally came with them? I'm a total newbie when it comes to V8's so I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions.

1.340- heads done real nice ' tank/mag/guides/guides cut for positive seals/VJ w/11/32 2.02/1.60 .550 lift springs light mill=$490-$575....with porting add $250-$800'ish depending how much.
Block around $400-$500 bucks for a clean/mag/line honed/decked/bore&hone w/ deck plates/clean..+$150 balance...
So around $800-$1225' plus parts $2500-$2900?

2. Price between the two? About the same when both going with KB hyperutectic pistons and what ever price in bearings if more is offset by cheaper gaskets for big block

3. 383's makes more power than a 340 and like the 340 has a good rod ratio/steel crankshaft...-but are heavier and take up more room, diff k frame or needs adaptors, also needs a big block trans that uses a shorter drive line and different convertor, all different from the small block stuff, tti headers are close in price, go look to find out.

340 rev's quick, good bore stroke combo, good/equal heads as 383, smaller in size leaves more room in compartment/lighter in weight headers are cheaper if you go with headmans, hookers or dougs, more intake choices.
Still n0t 383 cubic inches worth of power though...

-
Back