new torsion bars, 1.05 car way too high,

-

mikess68

Reaction score
just had new front end rebuild kit with new t bars 1.05 i think is what they were sized. had stock ones that were getting too limber. problem, the lowest i can adjust the new ones is still 1-2 inches too high. that stopped me dead in the water. 1972 dodge dart small block. i have the air shocks raised up all the way just to try and level the car. have 15 inch slotted wheels, getting ready to put on 14 rallie's afraid that will make the front look even too much higher like a gasser or something. is there a way to get it back down a couple of inches?? im stuck. and putting the old ones back on don't sound like a good choice due to their loosing tension or spring strength .

just had new front end rebuild kit with new t bars 1.05 i think is what they were sized. had stock ones that were getting too limber. problem, the lowest i can adjust the new ones is still 1-2 inches too high. that stopped me dead in the water. 1972 dodge dart small block. i have the air shocks raised up all the way just to try and level the car. have 15 inch slotted wheels, getting ready to put on 14 rallie's afraid that will make the front look even too much higher like a gasser or something. is there a way to get it back down a couple of inches?? im stuck. and putting the old ones back on don't sound like a good choice due to their loosing tension or spring strength .

The bars might be indexed, most of the ones over 1" diameter are "twisted" from the factory about 20 degrees iirc to prevent the issue you're having. You could try swapping the bars side-to-side. Pull one of them and look at the hex ends, the flats likely don't line up looking down the length of them.

@JoePole1 no no no lol, do NOT use drop spindles. They do bad things to the geometry.

@BergmanAutoCraft @Mattax @72bluNblu might have more input.

Last edited:
IMO if you are going to pull them to flip or swap sides, I would just drop down one size (.96?) and sell yours. I have the .96 bars with a small block, albeit a B body, and the car handles great. Stance is perfect. Others may chime in using the 1.05 bars. If you are shooting for handling ditch the air shocks. Bilsteins if you can afford.

Road Runner Cemetery4.JPG

ok, went back and read the description better. what i ordered are 1.03 bars for big or small blocks. WITH a 20 degree twist to make them stock or lowered. so apparently i need to reverse them and see if it gets down to normal or sky hight.
funny,... i got to start reading these useless fine print words like instructions, etc. life might get easier. so in two weeks they will be reversed and them i'll pay some more money for the mechanic as i'm too old and fat to get under anymore. :( thanks guys, ill post the results.

the air shocks are on as the back is a little low. with the fater 15 inch tires.
the ride is fine, as it but looks crappy like a gasser. hate to see what happens when i put on the 14 inch wheels like that!.

Have you moved or driven the car with them installed yet?
^^^ this. Take it for a drive it will settle out and drop down a bit.
Also stupid question - were the nuts on the LCA pivot pin tightened up with the car on the ground?
If the car has rubber bushes and the pivot was tightened with the suspension at full drop the bush might be binding and holding the car up a little

Reversing the bars front to back will accomplish nothing, if they’re clocked for left and right then must be installed on the correct sides.

Check to make sure you’ve installed them on the correct sides.

Are you running stock LCA’s? And what position were the LCA’s in when you installed the bars?

I just put 1.03 bars in my 68 Bcuda. Had the adjusters backed all the way out and suspension at full drop. The new bars were marked left and right. Car completely off the ground. Put them in, put a jack under the lca and jacked it up to approx mid way of suspension travel, tightened lca pins, then ran the t bar adjusters in until it almost wanted to lift the lca off the jack. This had also put the adjusters bolt mid way, so I have plenty of adjustment left either up or down.

Sounds like you had this done? Also make sure they tightened all the suspension fasteners with the weight ON the tires. If they did not, it could be in a bind literally holding the car too high. I would check THAT before doing anything.

is the adjuster all the way down? The finger should almost touch the thru nut.

What brand are the t-bars?

Otherwise, try the next clock/hex position.

-
Back