New transmission guy

-

AmericanPwrtrn

Reaction score
Hello all. I am a 5-Speed and 6-Speed nut with a passion for Mopars. I currently drive a Coronet 440 Convertible, but I am looking for a nice 68/69 Dart GT to have some fun with.

You can ask me anything and everything about putting a manual transmission in a Mopar. I look forward to becoming an active contributor to the forum.

Welcome! I am currently putting a 4spd in my 69 dart.

Welcome aboard, good luck with your search for a nice Dart GT!!

Welcome to the site and can I be the first to ask your advise?I have 340 4 speed 833,sometimes my car wont go in gear and i have to get under and move shifter rod on tranny(I have it marked so i can tell it,s not in proper position)so i move it back and I,m on my wAY.IS MY SHIFTER DONE??

Welcome to the site and can I be the first to ask your advise?I have 340 4 speed 833,sometimes my car wont go in gear and i have to get under and move shifter rod on tranny(I have it marked so i can tell it,s not in proper position)so i move it back and I,m on my wAY.IS MY SHIFTER DONE??

Sounds like your linkage has gotten loose,which happens over time. Look for a wear pattern where the rod meets the transmission link. You may find that there are fittings there that can be replaced if they are worn out. Also, if you have a HURST shifter with adjustable stops, make sure the stops are not limiting the travel of the shifter. These stops are just big bolts with jam nuts and they sometimes shake loose and adjust themselves too close to the stick. Brewer's and Passon both have linkage solutions for the 4-speed if you need parts. Hope this helps. AP

Welcome! I am currently putting a 4spd in my 69 dart.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. If you are in need of a flywheel, clutch, bell or any odd parts to get the swap done, let me know. If my company does not have the part I will surely know who does. Good luck with your swap.

Hey, welcome to FABO!!! I don't know how I missed seeing your post before -- especially since we're almost neighbors! -- but didn't want to pass up my second opportunity to throw a big wave your way. We can always use tranny guys, and especially those with motor swap knowledge. You'll no doubt be an invaluable member here.

(If there's any chance your customers need those parts you sell powder coated, don't hesitate to let me know. It would be an honor to work with another FABO member to mutual benefit.)

Glad to have you here!

Thanks For The Advise,i,ll Have To Check In Spring.the Cars In Storage For The Winter Now But I,ll Give It A Shot In Spring.thanks Again.

Thanks For The Advise,i,ll Have To Check In Spring.the Cars In Storage For The Winter Now But I,ll Give It A Shot In Spring.thanks Again.

Let me know what you find out. We'll get you fixed up when you haul that sucker out in the spring. AP

I keep asking about this,because i have 2 t5s,out of 4 cylinder mustangs,1 out of a v6 camaro.I know the internals are weaker than v8 t5s,im planning on using all aftermarket internals anyway,if i can find the other info i need,like wich bell housing,clutch set,etc i need.Thanks in advance

Welcome from Canada! :cheers:

2052882_1.jpg

Great to have another great tec on board :cheers:
Welcome and good luck on your search.
I will keep an eye out for a 68/69 Dart GT for you too.:-D

Welcome American Powertrain, it`s good to have someone with intimate knowledge of the in`s and out`s of manual transmission swaps. A lot of people here are installing 4 spds. in automatic cars and could use some direction. I have a 5 speed in my Barracuda and have to say it was the best mod I ever did to the car, hands down! I can`t imagine the car without it now. Glad to have you.

Welcome aboard!

I love it! A guy that like to row his own boat. I as well love a good oar in the ride.

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too am a big fan of 5-speeds in mopars. Had my fiasco already but looking forward to the tech you have to offer. I'll have some questions about my 4-speed car as well.

FABO is a great place. ENJOY!!!

I keep asking about this,because i have 2 t5s,out of 4 cylinder mustangs,1 out of a v6 Camaro.I know the internals are weaker than v8 t5s,im planning on using all aftermarket internals anyway,if i can find the other info i need,like which bell housing,clutch set,etc i need.Thanks in advance

All right, here goes. We sell lightweight steel bell housings to mate the Mustang V8 t5 to either a Mopar small block or a big block. We can suggest the right clutch, and the stock 130t Mopar flywheel will work fine. Here's the bad news. The 4-cylinder Mustang t5s were so weak that I can't imagine one living with any Mopar V8. The most pansy 1975 318 would likely torch one. The Camaro t5 has other issues. If it has a mechanical speedometer output then it is non-world class, which means it is rated for about 180ft-lbs of torque. If it has an electronic speedo output, then you have about a 240ft-lb rating, but you either need an electronic speedometer or a $350 converter box to run you mechanical speedo. Also, notice that the mounting area on the bottom of the Camaro transmission is ****-eyed. These transmissions sat at a 17-degree counter rotational position in the Camaro. Leave it to GM. If you mount them straight up then the mount is 17-degrees off horizontal, which is an absolute pain to deal with.

Best path, given the relative expense; sell the wiener schnitzel t5s you have on hand, get a world class Mustang trans from a V8 car and start from there. You will have many fewer headaches and in the end, will spend less cash, and may have a lasting solution in an A-body with less than, say, 300ft-lbs of torque and normal streetable tires.

Whew. AP

-
Back