New TrickFlow vs Edelbrock Victor340 intake testing. Numbers are in.

-
But to go deeper if you have a ported Victor340 that loses very few cfm on a ported set of 300 plus heads there’s a very small window to beat out.
For sure that almost 90 degree plenum to runner (top) is going to get a nice radius. If you look where my finger is at the top of the runner it feels very small. And if you look at my finger in the bend the bend feels sharp. Remember I usually test an inner port because 9 times out of 10 if I can get those 4 inner ports to flow nicely the outer runners are a cakewalk. Something that hit me when I grabbed the TrickFlow intake out of the box last night. It feels lite to me and that may not be a good thing. I will be breaking out my sonic checker when I work this one. I’ll try to grab my nitrous scale and weigh both these intakes today or tomorrow.

View attachment 1716157742

View attachment 1716157743

Ok guys I told you the TrickFlow intake felt lite to me. Well it’s very lite.

Victor340——-17.63 pounds

TrickFlow———12.95 pounds

Great stuff John. I just wish you could/would do the same tests on the 440 super Victor and trick flow.

Well let’s just say I could give them a good test platform. I have my old 440-1 Indy heads sitting at 370cfm and I started updating them for 2.225 valves and threw them on my shelf. I have one or two Indy intakes but no others. I quit at 420 on my B1 heads that are sitting on my 572 as I thought I was in a hurry to get that car out. Yaaaa right.

I quit at 420 on my B1 heads that are sitting on my 572 as I thought I was in a hurry to get that car out. Yaaaa right.
Man I wished you'd get that car going, I'd like to see what she does, It sounds like it could be a real beast.
But than again, you're doing pretty good with the small block. Real good.

Here is some as cast flow numbers John did on my MoPar single plane M1. Then the intake was ported. A 1 inch TQ spacer is also part of the porting.

Ignore the words “Trickflow” up top.

IMG_1390.png

IMG_0353.jpeg

IMG_0243.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is some as cast flow numbers John did on my MoPar single plane M1.

Ignore the words “Trickflow” up top.

View attachment 1716162104

Ya I shouldn’t crop those down so much or write smaller. That’s a stock TrickFlow head. With some issues I may add or the M1’s numbers would not have stalled probably. The intake only reflected what the head was doing.

No worries! Some of that picture cropping was my doing.

The stock TF head does what it does and the intake and only hinder it. The intake has to flow more than the head. But that’s about impossible, save a well designed tunnel ram or a hand fabricated tunnel ram.

For those interested in the M1 single plane porting work;

Some M1 porting pictures and flow numbers

Last edited:
@pittsburghracer

The intake only gets so good. What a lot of people forget is;

1; That intake was designed for a stock OEM iron head. It was modeled after the Holley Strip Dominator.

2; There was no after market aluminum head except the oval port W2 by Diamond and Batten.

3; At the time, those aluminum heads were a rich man’s game. Not the average Joe like you and I.

4; As time goes on, advancements are made and the ceiling of performance goes up. Everyone forgets the past and compare the last item to the new standard. This happens over and over until the item is obsolete. But when it gets used again, some people balk at what it does because they forgot the past.

Us older fellas remember when you could get the Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic as a new manifold, follow it he DC instructions and have the baddest intake possible. Today, it’ll only be used for nostalgic reasons or to save a buck.

It was bad *** then, but obsolete today.
Can it perform? Heck yea. But it does have a ceiling and a modern intake should hand the old intake a real pasting in power return.

I’ll be running the M1 with the spacer (if it proves worthy on the application) with a TQ for fun in the street. At the track, better options that are available will be used.

IMG_0651.jpeg

@pittsburghracer

The intake only gets so good. What a lot of people forget is;

1; That intake was designed for a stock OEM iron head. It was modeled after the Holley Strip Dominator.

2; There was no after market aluminum head except the oval port W2 by Diamond and Batten.

3; At the time, those aluminum heads were a rich man’s game. Not the average Joe like you and I.

4; As time goes on, advancements are made and the ceiling of performance goes up. Everyone forgets the past and compare the last item to the new standard. This happens over and over until the item is obsolete. But when it gets used again, some people balk at what it does because they forgot the past.

Us older fellas remember when you could get the Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic as a new manifold, follow it he DC instructions and have the baddest intake possible. Today, it’ll only be used for nostalgic reasons or to save a buck.

It was bad *** then, but obsolete today.
Can it perform? Heck yea. But it does have a ceiling and a modern intake should hand the old intake a real pasting in power return.

I’ll be running the M1 with the spacer (if it proves worthy on the application) with a TQ for fun in the street. At the track, better options that are available will be used.

View attachment 1716162110

I think a square bore M1 ported like yours would be the prefect intake for my son in Colorado. He has a 360 That is supposed to be slightly modified in his four speed 1973 Cuda. He also has two 340 engines. I have a set of Speedmaster heads for him that need finished and I think that would make a nice street combo out there. I had talked to Jim at Racer Brown about a nice hydraulic cam but my son had a house built so we put the brakes on that idea for now.

Ok guys this post has come to an end. Because of the slotted holes Bill decided not to go ahead and have me gasket match the TrickFlow intake and port it so I’ll be sending it back to him. I’ll never touch another one so don’t ask please. This joined my list with new sets of bare Edelbrock heads I’ll never port another set for any customers. Being that I usually devote at least part of Sundays towards my projects I may start a new post with flow numbers from a ported Super Victor intake if there is any interest.

Ok guys this post has come to an end. Because of the slotted holes Bill decided not to go ahead and have me gasket match the TrickFlow intake and port it so I’ll be sending it back to him. I’ll never touch another one so don’t ask please. This joined my list with new sets of bare Edelbrock heads I’ll never port another set for any customers. Being that I usually devote at least part of Sundays towards my projects I may start a new post with flow numbers from a ported Super Victor intake if there is any interest.
Remind me again why the bare eddy heads made the list? I forget.... lol

Remind me again why the bare eddy heads made the list? I forget.... lol

I probably have 3-4 days of free labor in this set of heads. Valve guides are all in need of major clearancing and lots of chamber work compared to a Speedmaster heads.

Why did the intake make the list?

Every mounting hole is slotted. About the only way to locate exactly where the intake should be gasket matched would be for the customer to test fit it on his engine. I can move the intake on the head between 3/16-1/4 inch up and down.

Every mounting hole is slotted. About the only way to locate exactly where the intake should be gasket matched would be for the customer to test fit it on his engine. I can move the intake on the head between 3/16-1/4 inch up and down.

If the engineers that came up with this slotted hole idea would have just slotted the inner two on each side it would have been a great idea

I am going to do the bushings like we talked about and maybe afterwards, we can talk about trying it again.... lol

Locate the intake, weld up the holes and redrill them round.

-
Back