New vs Old

-

03JeepJeep

It's a hoot!
Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope you all are having a fantastic day.

So recently I got promoted at work and I have moved into a career, I like to think of it as one at least. So with said promotion came a nice increase in pay. So as a gear head I naturally start thinking about all the parts I get to buy, until recently I have been thinking about getting a new car. My daily is doing fine for now but it is going on 14 years old. Naturally I want something that has horsepower and looks good. (Scat packs) But is that not being a responsible adult?

So my question for you folks is put money into my duster or dart?
Or look into get something newer and more practical to drive?

Thanks folks!

newer doesn't have to be 30 or 40k - 5 years ago I paid about 15k for an 08 Silverado - it had under 100k on it, has everything I wanted and has been a great investment. I have had zero issues with it and it still books for 10k+. Since then I have purchased and upgraded my Scamp. Of course no two situations are the same but, if you're careful about the newer daily ride, there'll be $$ to invest in the hot rod too. - BTW, the banks have plenty of $$ and interest rates are good right now.

Put the money into the duster..I wouldn't buy any of the crap mopar/fiat has put out!!!

I say put the extra money away for retirement and continue to live in what you were living on before.

You must be single or you wouldn't be asking the question. Just kidding, my thought is basic needs first. Reliable transportation, then the hobby. These builds tend to drag out and go way over the perceived budget. Whatever you do, best of luck.

Here is my take on your dilemma. Put some money away in a SEPARATE account for a newer car, but don't buy a brand new car. Wait until your 14 old car is giving you enough problems that you don't want to fix it to replace it. Also put some money into a separate account for your older car, the Duster. Also put some money into a third account for retirement. I would not throw it all into retirement because you never know if you're going to die next year or not. Enjoy your life now and have a little fun with it but don't go overboard. make plans to live longer though and not run out of money. You might surprise yourself and live into old age years. :)

Yeah, make plans to live longer!
But here's the thing; It seems the older I get (63 now), the less things I want to do. So even tho my body is still healthy and strong, I'm finding it harder and harder to find the motivation to go out and do stuff.
I few years ago, I thought nothing of swapping the entire drivetrain in my 68S; twice a year! Or pulling the tranny out two or three times a week, or spending an entire day on the alignment rack.
Now, IDK. My priorities have changed for one thing.But mostly I think I'm getting lazy,lol. And that's a hard thing to accept. I'm only 63, so not looking forward much to a life of laziness. I was hoping it was just a phase I was going thru, but I'm starting to think otherwise.
The point is, if you are currently full of energy and drive,take advantage of it. You don't know how long that situation will continue. Do not start saying "it'll get done when it'll get done", like I did. Time has a way of melting away,

My Dart has rescued almost every newer car we have at one point or another.
As a matter of fact the only car we have that it hasn't rescued is my Wife's 72 Dart.

What's that tell ya?

Reliability? You wanna hear about Reliability? I'll tell you anyway; 3rd gen GM 3800 with a 4spd auto. I got one in a 2006 Buick.Had it since 08.It's never let me down, and other than tires and oil-changes, has cost me just; rotors and pads,wipers and bulbs, baddaboom.It currently has 205,000Kilometers/ about 127,000miles for most of you. That's 8 trouble-free years.
I love that 3800-4spd. The rest of the car,not so much.

Tells me you need to choose better newer cars. :)

Yea, well there isn't lot you can do when a sensor goes out on a BMW or any of the other cars either. :D
Zero car payments is kind of nice as well.

Yea, well there isn't lot you can do when a sensor goes out on a BMW or any of the other cars either. :D
that's it??!?? damn - you tired or somethin'? I really was looking forward to good shot across the bow there... wait, who are you and what have you done with Greg?

Honestly I'm considering getting out of my newer vehicles and just running older ones. Once I get my 89 Ram truck on the road, I may sell everything but my Duster and the 89. If I wanted to go for a real long trip that I didn't feel I could take either of those on, I could always rent something for a couple weeks. It would likely be cheaper in the end. But on the other hand, I don't know if I could give up my 2010 Cummins Ram either.

Cley

Sell your projects .Take that money along with some more and buy a older mopar that is already done with resto mods such as air, overdrive and drive it and it will hold its value for many years to come

that's it??!?? damn - you tired or somethin'? I really was looking forward to good shot across the bow there... wait, who are you and what have you done with Greg?

Well, Joe always gets a pass from me pretty much whatever he says because he doesn't say much in the first place and when he does it's worth listening to. :D

Sell your projects .Take that money along with some more and buy a older mopar that is already done with resto mods such as air, overdrive and drive it and it will hold its value for many years to come

That's kind of where we are at this point.
Why go buy something that you practically have to take to a shop and pay through the nose for about anything that goes wrong with it, (which seems to happen way to often) and then trust some kid you don't know from Adam to actually fix it.
I get 25mpg on the hiway with my Dart and that's what it's really set up for with everything from the cam to the OD.

A sensor:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:..aren't those German shitboxes throw aways anyways:D:D

try to stay american built vehicle , and hell yes on doing a duster or dart . and just remember career jobs aren't just given , you have earn it , and will work for it as well . i never got more money unless there was more that came with it .

-
Back