Newb with a 225 needs assistance

-
Just remember, if you go 318 route you have to get a tranny and conversion mounts. Which will add to the cost. If I were short on funds I would just get another 225 and swap them out (if needed).

You will need a transmission; the 6-cylinder item won't bolt up to the V8. Also, the whole rest of the car is set up for 6-cylinder power and weight. Brakes, suspension, cooling, etc. Not a good match with V8 power. More $$$ to upgrade.

Well, I bought the Pontiac as a daily driver(GM defection!!!) so I can retire the Valiant and work on it. Now that it's not as critical I get it moving again, I'll likely put another 225 in it.

Well, I bought the Pontiac as a daily driver so I can retire the Valiant and work on it. Now that it's not as critical I get it moving again, I'll likely put another 225 in it.

:cheers: keep the /6 :happy1:

ditch the six...:)....go V8. Anything happens to my leaning tower of power...I'll go V8...varoooom...

ditch the six...:)....go V8. Anything happens to my leaning tower of power...I'll go V8...varoooom...

I think my GMobile quenches my V8 lust for now.
It may be just a 305/4bbl, but I got on it on the highway and just started giggling. I'll definitely do a V8/A body in the future, but probably not this one.

I think my GMobile quenches my V8 lust for now.
It may be just a 305/4bbl, but I got on it on the highway and just started giggling. I'll definitely do a V8/A body in the future, but probably not this one.

i love walkin your maro's and screaming chickens with my slant... so much fun to watch their faces...

I would like to build a six for just that reason. My dad new a guy with a 62 Belvedere with a /6 that was outrunning 289 Mustangs.

Here's a good one; How does 127mph in the quarter mile sound to you? Turbocharged slant six with 1 4bbl...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzUfV8iTpQ"]Turbo Slant Six 10.74 @ 127 mph 7-19-10 - YouTube[/ame]

I wish I had anything that would run a 10.70. The Road Runner sitting under the shed outside can't even do that.

That car is amazing, as is Tom Wolfe's car that makes about the same amount of power (probably 500HP + or - a few...)

My partner and I are newbies at this turbo slant six game, so we just did our best to build a copy-cat motor to those two KILLERS, in hopes tht some of their expertise would rub off on us...

With our lack of experience, we'll be lucky to run within a full second of either one of them... but, we're doin' our best!:banghead:

Here are some pictures of our car; it's nearing completion.

:wack:

Attachments

• 100_3613.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_3622.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 162
  • js640_100_3490.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 145
  • js640_turbofront.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 153
  • js640_turboside.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 100_3720.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 143
That's a beautiful car. I might finally get around to doing that with my /6.

Thanks for the compliment! Most people just think it has two too many doors... LOL!:blob:

I like 2-doors, too, but this old car was available at a reasonable price ($700.00) and is only 25 pounds heavier than a 2-door post, so we just said, wotthehell... let's go for it. LOL!

I think it's a cheaper build than an equally-powerful small block, if you already have the /6 engine.

I may be talking through my hat about that, seeing as how it has not run yet, but if it runs anything like it should, it would take a reasonably-strong N/A small block to outrun it.

The most expensive thing about the engine was the pistons (Wiseco forged) and rods (K-1, forged.)

The header cost us a lot, but needn't have; there are cheaper ways to do it than what we did.

The head, big valves, and porting are important, and relatively expensive.

Most other stuff is really not "that much" money; machine shop boring, crank-turning, balancing and a good valve job...

Most of the hardware on our engine is just stock slant six stuff.

The oil pump, water pump, distributor, and bearings are all stock.

It does have a "Bullet"-brand cam. Specs are 210/210 @ .050"-;ift with .484" total lift with stock pushrods and rocker arms. It is ground with 115-degrees of lobe separation. Very mild, with a stock-sounding idle.

The rerason for that is, these engines don't seem to like overlap... and, the way around that is, short-duration and wide lobe separation.

I'm only repeating what I have heard about the cams that are in the turbocharged engines in the cars that run the best. No personal experience here at all...:prayer:

For anything but an all-out race car, I am pretty sure that a stock torque converter would work great with one of these engines. They have loads of low-end torque, due to that mild cam.

I think you could put together an engine for not a lot of money, that would run low 12's on the street, in a 2,800-pound a-body.

I'd love to try it, but I'm a little busy with a previous project, right now... LOL!

Thanks for your interest!:cheers:

Attachments

• slantsixfred4.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 119
that wont work due to the fact that the ring gear is on the converter...

Oops. Good call. I was thinking of when I recently tested a Mercedes 300D engine by running it on the ground without a transmission, but it has the ring gear on the flexplate.

By the way, if you are thinking about swapping to a 318, I'd advise against it based on your admitted low financial situation. The 318 is not a "bolt in" job. You will have to either change the K frame or buy/make conversion mounts. Also the exhaust, the pulleys, brackets, linkages, wiring, throttle cable and possibly the driveshaft (if your 318 has a 727) will need replaced or modified. It's not a hard thing to do, but you can sink a lot of time and several hundred dollars making changes. In the long run you'll save time and money with another slant 6.

-
Back