(Newbe) 273 to a 340 and tremec 5speed swap.

-

TheCudaKid

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
ive had a few diffrent posts about diffrent swaps i was considering. I found a 340 paired with a tremec 5speed that i was wanting to give a try. my car is a 1967 Barracuda 273 notch back colum shift auto. im hopeing to get rid of the collum shift and have the shifter come through a cener console that i have. can someone build me a list of the things i would need, like the engine mounts ext. want to know everything that will go into this swap, im fine getting a new driveshaft but want to keep my rear end. this is a flip car, but the 273 is out of commission and i was quoted 5k by a rebuild shop. the prive of the engine and trans togther is 6,500 but im sure i can get him down a bit, he has all the paperwork proveing that its been rebuild buy a shop, with a complex pully system, im going to reply with pictures when i get a chance. if someone will find me a tunne i can weld for the trans and all the mounting stuff for a tremec and for the engine that would be greatly appreseated. im only 17 sorry for any grammatical errors, im also open to a phone call to help me understandm more. shoot me a dm if thats something your intrested in.
Thankyou,
-George

ive had a few diffrent posts about diffrent swaps i was considering. I found a 340 paired with a tremec 5speed that i was wanting to give a try. my car is a 1967 Barracuda 273 notch back colum shift auto. im hopeing to get rid of the collum shift and have the shifter come through a cener console that i have. can someone build me a list of the things i would need, like the engine mounts ext. want to know everything that will go into this swap, im fine getting a new driveshaft but want to keep my rear end. this is a flip car, but the 273 is out of commission and i was quoted 5k by a rebuild shop. the prive of the engine and trans togther is 6,500 but im sure i can get him down a bit, he has all the paperwork proveing that its been rebuild buy a shop, with a complex pully system, im going to reply with pictures when i get a chance. if someone will find me a tunne i can weld for the trans and all the mounting stuff for a tremec and for the engine that would be greatly appreseated. im only 17 sorry for any grammatical errors, im also open to a phone call to help me understandm more. shoot me a dm if thats something your intrested in.
Thankyou,
-George

IMG_0831.png

IMG_0832.png

IMG_0833.png

IMG_0834.jpeg

IMG_0835.jpeg

I would pass on the five speed swap, but go for the 340. Your'e looking at a lot of floorpan work and may also have to modify the torsion bar mounting crossmember to fit the Tremec. That's every bit as ambitious of a project as swapping in the big block you had mentioned in an earlier post. What are your goals and intended purpose of the car? It's possible to build a car that you can have a whole lot of fun with and not have to go crazy with modifying it. Oh, nice choice, too! I love a '67 barracuda notchback.

I would pass on the five speed swap, but go for the 340. Your'e looking at a lot of floorpan work and may also have to modify the torsion bar mounting crossmember to fit the Tremec. That's every bit as ambitious of a project as swapping in the big block you had mentioned in an earlier post. What are your goals and intended purpose of the car? It's possible to build a car that you can have a whole lot of fun with and not have to go crazy with modifying it. Oh, nice choice, too! I love a '67 barracuda notchback.
He`s gonna flip it, and wants everybody else to do his legwork for him.

Do you already own the 340 5-speed?
At 17, shouldn't you still be in school?

It's highly unlikely that you'll get your money out of this swap
IMO, that car is light enough that for a street car, it doesn't need a hotrod340, nor a 5speed.
It would be fine with a 318-4speed, and proper street gears
or a 360, 3+1 A833-overdrive, and any street gear.
But , I guess if the 340/5speed drops in your lap for cheap .......... I mean I would build a car around that combo......
but I'm 70, have the tools, the knowledge, and the skills, to make it work.
Good luck young George.

he said its ither a tko or tkx. whats the difference?
Tremec t-5 would break almost immediately behind a 340 but he said it's not that so that's good.
TKO is a good trans but it's big, be ready for lots of fab time and cutting out the trans hump/making a new one or spending the $$$ on panels.
TKX is a newer trans and it's compact, I believe it should "fit" with minimal mods but may still need custom parts such as a crossmember (maybe)
As you can see it's important to know which one you might get because they're radically different to swap/make work

For a "Newbie" you seem insistent on biting off more than you can chew, coming up with elaborate swap ideas for the most work and fab imaginable in your efforts to do a cheap flip. Just get a 318, a crank flange bushing for your pre-'68 transmission, bolt it in and sell it. Other than the flange bushing, it's a straight-up "unbolt the old and bolt in the new" swap; no parts chasing, fab or custom work. Done.

so, 6500 for a 340 5spd setup that maybe you could get for 55? i see a bell, and headers but unless that stuff comes with or is a-body specific there's another 1~2K plus all the other stuff you'll need: z-bar, shifter, pedals, trans hump, mount... so let's call that another 1K

so maybe you get it all together and in for about 9K on the high side and 7 on the low side.

you've got 14 in the car already, so now you're looking at 21~23 for a car that would probably sell for 18~20, unless you addressed the cosmetic issues on the interior. which, maybe you can spruce that up for 2~3 grand. so again, you're at 23~26 on a car that's worth about that.

maybe you clear 1~2K on the flip. brother, that's a lot of squeeze for some bitter juice.

He can't rebuild a 273 but can swap in a 440 or a 340 with 5 speed?? Lmao. Oh yeah you all should list everything he needs, and where to get it....oh yeah and he's gonna flip it? Yoooohooooo reality check.

Don't let the naysayers get you down.

I agree regarding the transmission swap. A lot of work into that. But the 340 is not a bad deal. But again if you're gonna flip it...I'm not sure it adds more than the 5k you'll put in it. In my opinion the easiest way to a solid flip engine is find a 5.2 or 5.9 to swap in.

He can't rebuild a 273 but can swap in a 440 or a 340 with 5 speed?? Lmao. Oh yeah you all should list everything he needs, and where to get it....oh yeah and he's gonna flip it? Yoooohooooo reality check.

Do you already own the 340 5-speed?
At 17, shouldn't you still be in school?

It's highly unlikely that you'll get your money out of this swap
IMO, that car is light enough that for a street car, it doesn't need a hotrod340, nor a 5speed.
It would be fine with a 318-4speed, and proper street gears
or a 360, 3+1 A833-overdrive, and any street gear.
But , I guess if the 340/5speed drops in your lap for cheap .......... I mean I would build a car around that combo......
but I'm 70, have the tools, the knowledge, and the skills, to make it work.
Good luck young George.
I really appreciate this comment, i am still in highschool. im a junior and still focused in classes but have been flipping cars to make money! im on here learning as much as i can from all of the professionals on these forums. i have the tools and still around 10k left to finish this car. that being said i work a job after school and work on the car on weekends, so hard to find time witch is why i like to get as much help from people here as i can. the 340 and tremec combo was a facebook find, i was hoping to be able to make this car stick shift, and with the current engine needing a rebuild it was a perfect excuse to go all out. im hopeing to get the pair for 4ish so i would think i could at least get some money out of it, but at the end of the day i'm doing this to spend time with my dad and build memories, again thanks for your comment ill be posting plenty more on here i'm sure so stick around and share some of that knowledge lol.
thanks,
George.

Tremec t-5 would break almost immediately behind a 340 but he said it's not that so that's good.
TKO is a good trans but it's big, be ready for lots of fab time and cutting out the trans hump/making a new one or spending the $$$ on panels.
TKX is a newer trans and it's compact, I believe it should "fit" with minimal mods but may still need custom parts such as a crossmember (maybe)
As you can see it's important to know which one you might get because they're radically different to swap/make work
ok thank you very much for this comment. so i should hope for tkx, and if not then i'm should skip on the swap. don't think its a good idea to waste my time dealing with fitting it all in. once again thank you for clearing this up for me.
thankyou again,
George.

Don't let the naysayers get you down.

I agree regarding the transmission swap. A lot of work into that. But the 340 is not a bad deal. But again if you're gonna flip it...I'm not sure it adds more than the 5k you'll put in it. In my opinion the easiest way to a solid flip engine is find a 5.2 or 5.9 to swap in.
ok thank-you, the 340 and tremec are in a kit together, should i just buy the hole kit and sell the trans. maybe i could get 1500 for the tremec and only be in the engine 3500?
thank you,
George.

First, i never said i couldn't rebuild my 273, I'm avoiding spending 5k at the machine shop. (do it yourself) I'm attempting to get a warranty through a shop because its hard to sell a car with a rebuild engine done by a 17 year old. i know this because i rebuilt an m20 out a e30 and had a hard time selling it, because people don't trust a kids work. (rightly so is some cases) it would be easier to swap in something like a 340 for the same price and have the added manual transmission. and shop warranty's.

Second, im asking for people go build me a list so i can see what they use, how they did the swap, and what i can be expecting price wise. i mean no disrespect towards anyone im just trying to figure out the best way to do the swap, from people who have done it.

Third, I see you have lots of past messages on forms so i would assume your very well rounded in this field, i hope next time you spread some of your insight and recommendations.

Fourth, I dont appreciate you coming onto this thread to spread negativity towards me or what im trying to do with my money and time, furthermore i would appreciate it if you would keep to yourself within the thread i created yo asking questions and for recommendations. please leave out the hate and discouragement.

fifth. thank you for any help u had with my 440 swap questions, i will politely now be asking you to avoid my threads if you have nothing important to say.
Thanks,
George

so, 6500 for a 340 5spd setup that maybe you could get for 55? i see a bell, and headers but unless that stuff comes with or is a-body specific there's another 1~2K plus all the other stuff you'll need: z-bar, shifter, pedals, trans hump, mount... so let's call that another 1K

so maybe you get it all together and in for about 9K on the high side and 7 on the low side.

you've got 14 in the car already, so now you're looking at 21~23 for a car that would probably sell for 18~20, unless you addressed the cosmetic issues on the interior. which, maybe you can spruce that up for 2~3 grand. so again, you're at 23~26 on a car that's worth about that.

maybe you clear 1~2K on the flip. brother, that's a lot of squeeze for some bitter juice.
thank you for your comment, you have been more help than i could possibly imagine. im doing this not only for the experience but also to spend time with my dad and have the coolest car ever at 17 haha. if i make 2k that would be awesome! i will attempt to talk to guy down in person when i see him tomorrow. but i truly do appreciate your comment, i have learned more in the past few days than the last 2 mouths of rebuilding all the front suspension and breaks. lots of the stuff i’ve learned being form you. goodluck in life brother and talk to you sooner than later!

For a "Newbie" you seem insistent on biting off more than you can chew, coming up with elaborate swap ideas for the most work and fab imaginable in your efforts to do a cheap flip. Just get a 318, a crank flange bushing for your pre-'68 transmission, bolt it in and sell it. Other than the flange bushing, it's a straight-up "unbolt the old and bolt in the new" swap; no parts chasing, fab or custom work. Done.
i understand completely were your coming from. but i have a problem with going a little crazy on all of my projects! you sound just like my dad witch completely proves him right lol. i just think haveing a 340 360 or bigblock with (especially) a stick shift would be so much fun and such a cool talking point. if i can build my dream cuda and still make money on it then thats a hard thing to tern down. i appreciate your comment, being completely grounded in reality is very helpful for me. stay safe,
George.

He`s gonna flip it, and wants everybody else to do his legwork for him.
im trying to learn what everyone else prefers, and build a list of things that i think my specific situation calls for! avoiding mistakes others have made. thank you for your comment nun the less, if you have anything useful to add that would be very much appreciate. thanks,
George

having read thru your other replies, i'm still firmly in the small block camp. it'll be the cheapest, easiest way forward and you'll realize and easier sale with potentially a little money on the back end.

don't let the old farts around here get you down. they can be a pretty salty crew, but it's a really great group of folks (most of the time), and you won't find a better collection of people that know the in's, out's and what-have-you's and are willing to share that info anywhere.

**** man, i'm more than double your age and they still think i'm a youngster-- even though i've been a mechanic for 30yrs.

being a greenhorn with mopars is especially treacherous: everything is more expensive and specific than ford or chevy. parts are more difficult to find. buyers are more fickle. even the weirdos who are dyed in the wool mopar nuts are weirder than other makes (well, except for AMC or jeep guys, but they've all hit their heads too many times). it's a steep learning curve and it's certainly not for everyone. but there's a reason for that, mopars are the absolute best vintage cars.

anyway, i'll leave you with this pearl of wisdom: if you really want a big block car, buy somebody else's project. you'll probably still not make any money on it, but at least you'll be able to scratch that itch without going entirely bankrupt.

There have been ppl who have posted up TKO and TKX swaps in this forum. The TKX is slimmer and does not require as much cutting welding to make tunnel wider taller.

If you found someone with 340 and 5 spd you can have then put flywheel, bell housing, starter and do a compression test while you watch. My son bought a 2.4 Honda K engine and we watched all 4 cylinders get compression tested before we handed money over. Engine should have oil in it prior to cranking of course.

Your right a manual trans will appeal to more buyers and boost value. But its a lot more time and money to swap from auto to manual.

I jumped through hoops to modify a 4 spd console shift handle to hook to a 6 spd out through 4 spd top plate. If you dig though my thread you can see pics. A lot of ppl just slide console rearward several inches which is a lot easier then the way I did it.

There is a thread on here '68 barracuda convertible 426 hemi he swapped in a TKO pieced up all the parts and showed how he made shifter come out of console. He talked a lot about bought this part here, that part there cause a TKO dropped in his lap he had to go round everything else up.

-
Back