(Newbe) 273 to a 340 and tremec 5speed swap.

-
yea im trying go build an awesome car for me and not for whats in my budget for the flip. the good thing is i haven't committed to anything yet, witch means i still have all this time to decide were im going with the car. thanks so much anyway!
All right, then- I'm not saying anything more until you decide where you want to go with this. It just sends the thread spinning off into too many different directions.

thing to know is 273 318 340 all internal balance engines should interchange easily I kept a 318 for years as a backup in case my 340 grenaded. I recently built my second 340 and passed the 318 on. 360 youll need a felxplate and converter that works with that external balance setup. Cheapest is a 318 swap.

The waffling around, indecisiveness, can't decide is usually what I do over a period of years to finally land on a decision for major projects expenditures. Too many factors, too many pros cons, need to save up more funds, costs too high requires more thought, not sure what goals are etc. But I don't post up letting everyone know I can not make a decision. That I keep to myself while I wander aimlessly around in circles for years not knowing which end of fork is supposed to go in my mouth. Then at some point a rock solid decision gets made, funds are set aside, work areas prepped, and I move forward. Then everyone thinks I know what I am doing....

thing is none of it is going to be cheap if it isnt a direct bolt in swap (318) and if I was anewbie id go cheap and easy to cut my teeth on wrenching.

i think its just to much money for everything and the car will be to modded out. think im just ganna rebuild 273 myself ‍♂️

Let me know if you go this route. I have plenty of good parts and have hot rodded 273's and kept them running sweet for 50 years. No special parts required. Just beef what you have up, maybe a Quicksilver ratchet shifter for the transmission.

You'll have $4k wrapped up in rebuilding the 273. I wouldn't bother at least not for a flip car.
so what should i do, everyones telling me different things and im just confused and a bit overwhelmed. i have 700 in 273 parts already from before i had go pull it.

so what should i do, everyones telling me different things and im just confused and a bit overwhelmed. i have 700 in 273 parts already from before i had go pull it.
So what do you have for the 273? Everyone thinks everybody wants a drag racer. It just is not so. Make a nice driver out of it. That 273 is sweet. No different trans, no different rear. All money holes you do not need to go down. It just snowballs to ridiculous.

So what do you have for the 273? Everyone thinks everybody wants a drag racer. It just is not so. Make a nice driver out of it. That 273 is sweet. No different trans, no different rear. All money holes you do not need to go down. It just snowballs to ridiculous.
i have a 318 intake so i can put a 4 barrel carb on it, and i also have a 600 4 barrel that has been rebuild and long tube headers.

i have a 318 intake so i can put a 4 barrel carb on it, and i also have a 600 4 barrel that has been rebuild and long tube headers.
What carb, Holley, Carter? What intake? Pictures, or numbers on the carb and intake? If I were you I'd ditch the headers and use the stock exhaust with the "67" 273 Factory high performance exhaust, nothing cooler.

What carb, Holley, Carter? What intake? Pictures, or numbers on the carb and intake? If I were you I'd ditch the headers and use the stock exhaust with the "67" 273 Factory high performance exhaust, nothing cooler.
there was no headers on the 273 when i got it. holly carb old referbished one and an original 318 intake thats been painted

You know the saying. Opinions are like assholes.... everyone has one.

I think, very bottom line here, you need to be clear about what you are trying to accomplish.

You should just straight swap a running engine in it and drive it or flip it while you rebuild something or acquire parts for a 440 swap. That way its running and driving and you don't have to spend a whole lot of money real fast. Drive it around town with a "for sale" sign in the window...318s are a dime a dozen and according to some on here the car will "run like a bat out of hell" and what ever you do don't buy a 1966 or earlier "318" :)

Everyone is going to continue to tell you different things cause humans all have different opinions. Natural to be over whelmed due to a thousand different directions you could go. Some times there is no black white right wrong definitive answer. Its fuzzy grey area at best and the right direction is depends, depends on a thousand things. To muddy waters further you say wanna flip wanna build dream car change interior to black tear car all apart buy used unknown carburetor and headers that prob wont fit etc. Then you done paid to much for car to ever be a successful flip etc etc. So now we are in deep muddy waters and what should one do no one knows....because these are all real hard decisions and depends on thousands of things etc etc etc....maybe let car sit in garage save money and noodle on it over time....one does not know....

It costs alot of money tearing an old Mopar completely apart...trust me. The guys on YT doing it have grandpas farm and junk pile to work from they bought these heaps cheap in the 90s...lets give this kid some real info or else all hell do is tear the car apart and there it will sit.

lets give this kid some real info or else all hell do is tear the car apart and there it will sit.
90 percent or more that tear car apart let them sit forever. He been given real info, all different opinions, he is gonna have to narrow down goals budgets time frames ect and figure it out. Right now deep muddy waters everyone will keep putting their two cents in and swirl will continue....

Dare I say it but he's better off with a Mustang or something cheap where parts are in every boneyard...:)

Mopar stuff depending on what part of the country you are in isn't on every corner and its definitely not cheap.

id bet a running 5.2 Magnum from a used part yard is over 500 dollars ( not a pick a part)

OK I'll try some positivity on this thread, as my perceived reality was taken as negativity.
How quick do you wanna make $$?? I would say with the majority of muscle cars flipped, that the majority of the "better" profits are made when the LEAST amount of work is done to them.
Diagnose WHY the 273 won't run. It may be something relatively cheap to do.
While engine is out clean tidy engine bay.
Then elbow grease to the entire car. Doors/windows operate. 67 is 1yr only windshield gasket/trim, same with rear. It's a notch right? Well to convert over to the MUCH better 68 and up stainless ws trim requires finding ss trim(good luck $$$), removing glass, installing new clips and new gasket. Right there the trim gasket and clips would probably put u close to $800. Can u remove glass on your own? If not, add another $200 or so.
Most people on here can do their own normal maintenance, brakes etc.
Make it running(not necessarily driving) and presentable.
There are A LOT of members who have helped me and vice versa in the "parts department", trades, great prices etc. Most of that comes from respect and willing to help each other knowing it's going towards a members car that he/she is planning on keeping. If someone comes on here looking for deals(remember these are Mopars, so ANYTHING aftermarket as well as oem is limited), and prospective sellers know ahead of time the car is going to be modded, flipped by a 1st timer, do you think "pricing" may be different?
Get engine running, if ya gotta swap engine go for another small block and try to get 69 and earlier as pumps/pulleys will interchange.
I'm not an expert here but my Mopar focus/experience has been with 67-9 cudas for over 30 years.
Good luck.

Ya sell it and let the new owner fix all the nit pick stuff if that's the business you are in most classics sell "as is" that removes all legalities...lets face it you have to be pretty attached to a classic to tear it al the way down and see it through you almost have to love the car and want to save it for lack of a better way of putting it.

OK I'll try some positivity on this thread, as my perceived reality was taken as negativity.
How quick do you wanna make $$?? I would say with the majority of muscle cars flipped, that the majority of the "better" profits are made when the LEAST amount of work is done to them.
Diagnose WHY the 273 won't run. It may be something relatively cheap to do.
While engine is out clean tidy engine bay.
Then elbow grease to the entire car. Doors/windows operate. 67 is 1yr only windshield gasket/trim, same with rear. It's a notch right? Well to convert over to the MUCH better 68 and up stainless ws trim requires finding ss trim(good luck $$$), removing glass, installing new clips and new gasket. Right there the trim gasket and clips would probably put u close to $800. Can u remove glass on your own? If not, add another $200 or so.
Most people on here can do their own normal maintenance, brakes etc.
Make it running(not necessarily driving) and presentable.
There are A LOT of members who have helped me and vice versa in the "parts department", trades, great prices etc. Most of that comes from respect and willing to help each other knowing it's going towards a members car that he/she is planning on keeping. If someone comes on here looking for deals(remember these are Mopars, so ANYTHING aftermarket as well as oem is limited), and prospective sellers know ahead of time the car is going to be modded, flipped by a 1st timer, do you think "pricing" may be different?
Get engine running, if ya gotta swap engine go for another small block and try to get 69 and earlier as pumps/pulleys will interchange.
I'm not an expert here but my Mopar focus/experience has been with 67-9 cudas for over 30 years.
Good luck.
This is my plan that has been in the making for the last two weeks. I've been doing non-stop research, and this is an update for anyone who has been following me or this thread. With the help of many people on this site, I have gotten deals on countless parts, knowledge, and friends along the way. We are going with the original 273, having it rebuilt by a local machine shop, and then I will put most of it back together once it is rebuilt. I never found out why it wouldn't run well, but after replacing everything, it shouldn't be a problem. I think many people have a negative look on (flipping). My intent isn't to make lots of money; my goal with this (flip) is to get to work on this car, have fun building it up, and get to enjoy it for a few months, then sell the car to someone who will love it, and I will move on to my next cuda haha. The fun part for me is building them, and that's what i will attempt to continue if i ever get this one finished lol. I would love any recommendations for swapping to a center console shifter. I wouldn't say I like the collum shifter. I'm going to try to die the interior black. i have had lots of help with this, but any more recommendations would be appreciated. Dash will be a struggle, but I will figure that out when the time comes. thanks for everyone who helped and i will be making more threads in the future!

-
Back