newbe

-

maxie

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello, as I am new here, but not new to the mopars. I am usually on another mopar board. I have a B body mopar now and i am partners with my Dad in another car. I am wanting to build a hemi 67-69 barracuda and I hope to learn somethings from here for that project. Thanks Scott

Thanks.

I have been wanting to build a hemi powered A body for a while. I have started gathering pieces, but dont have a car yet to put it in. I lean toward a fastback barracuda because i had one many years ago. I will be honest it wasnt pretty, but it was reliable as all get out. It was a 273 hipo, 904 with a 3.23 sure grip. Rust everywhere. I had it as a daily driver and at that time I had a 70 six pack mr norms bee with under 19k miles on it. Wow that was 17 years ago.

I debate if it is cheaper to build a dart though. My thinking is the dart has less trim to worry about finding, replacing or restoring. What do you think?

my current ride
croppedhemi.jpg

newcovers001.jpg

Scott, howdy from central Texas. Glad you found us. Nice car you have, and a great sounding project idea. All I have done is help my son with his Dart Sport and Duster projects, I have not had any for myself. Guess I'll have to get on the ball and find me an A-body soon.

Come back often,
Jerry

Thanks.

I have been wanting to build a hemi powered A body for a while. I have started gathering pieces, but dont have a car yet to put it in. I lean toward a fastback barracuda because i had one many years ago. I will be honest it wasnt pretty, but it was reliable as all get out. It was a 273 hipo, 904 with a 3.23 sure grip. Rust everywhere. I had it as a daily driver and at that time I had a 70 six pack mr norms bee with under 19k miles on it. Wow that was 17 years ago.

I debate if it is cheaper to build a dart though. My thinking is the dart has less trim to worry about finding, replacing or restoring. What do you think?

Funny I replied to your post on Moparts too about S/S clones.

I've owned a 68 Barracuda for 13 years and a 68 Dart for 5 years. I hit the swaps around here. And used to hit the junkyard when they were decent.

The 68 Barracuda is much more expensive to get parts for. There are a lot of Barracuda only stuff on those cars. And of course they made a lot less Barracudas than 68 Darts. The barracuda speciality trim is a killer.

The cost to get into a starter car is more with the Barracuda too.

For example the 68 Dart grille is not that hard to find in real good undented used condition with turn signals that might need the lenses replaced, about $150-$225. They are protect pretty well. They do repro the hood molding.

Barracuda grill surrounds are tough to find and get real banged up. And the plastic grill inserts get broken sometimes and the turn signal surround are usually pitted. You've just got more parts to go bad and deal with. There is no nosecone or lower valence on a Dart. Those are $125-$175 each used.

68 Barracuda trunk inserts are like $400-$500 restored. Dart S/S car didn't even have trunk inserts. Compare BEA parts repro lenses and tailight housings. 68 Dart tailight lenses are not too hard to find good used, so you might not need those new anyway.

Rearquarter sheet metal is more on a Barracuda and rear glass trim is probably $50-75 more than a dart.

Interior is going to be close. BEA rallye fascia is like $700 all new no core. You'll have to take your Dart dash, radio, and glove fascias to CVplaters. Guessing at $200 difference if you have good cores.

There my little rundown. Maybe it helped??

Interesting that I see a lot of people looking to make 68 S/S clones. There was someone are here on FABO back east that seemed to be lining up these cars to do one after the next.

what i really want to do is find a decent car that is presentable and put the hemi in it. something that if I wanted to hop in and go to work or grocery store and park in the front row would be no big deal. I got a buddy here with a 69 dart 270 with a gernaded slant six that is all original, f8 green with green interior. I would like to get it.

Welcome,

Glad to have you. My current rides, 70 Plymouth Duster,72 Dodge Demon, 75 Dart Sport.

Tod

I have been visiting here when I can and reading the tech archives on the b/rb installation tips. I need to hit the loottery and build a dart and a barracuda.

Welcome maxie.
Glad to have you and that great looking RR.

-
Back