Newbie 360 info

-

Tool505

Reaction score
I'm having a la 360 getting put together right now for my 74 dart swinger. I'm wanting to know what power level and quarter mile time you guys would guess for it here in colorado.

70's era block
Cast crank .10 over
Kb 107 10.5.1
Eagle sir rods
J heads home ported w/2.02 and 1.60 valves
3 angle valve job w/ dual springs
1.5 roller rockers
Comp cam 20-812-9 ( xr280hr10 ) 541/537 lift 230/236 duration
Rpm airgap intake
Edelbrock avs 650
1 3/4 full length headers

Stock 8 1/4 rear probably 2.76 ish

change the gears in rearend 391 or at least 355 ,youll be a whole lot happier with you times,tim

2.76 gears ...and what converter?

maybe 14s in Colorado air...

Machine shop messed up and used a magnum 360 block instead of the La. They bought me a set of EQ heads since the J's would no longer work. Will I have any additional power gains with it being a magnum block and the EQ heads with all the same parts listed below on the build.

I'm having a la 360 getting put together right now for my 74 dart swinger. I'm wanting to know what power level and quarter mile time you guys would guess for it here in colorado.

70's era block
Cast crank .10 over
Kb 107 10.5.1
Eagle sir rods
J heads home ported w/2.02 and 1.60 valves
3 angle valve job w/ dual springs
1.5 roller rockers
Comp cam 20-812-9 ( xr280hr10 ) 541/537 lift 230/236 duration
Rpm airgap intake
Edelbrock avs 650
1 3/4 full length headers

With otherwise unported heads, you just might be better off with a Magnum instead of an LA. But you WILL have to use a Mag intake...........

And I don't recall off hand the difference in the pan. Seems to me an LA 360 pan will fit a Mag but someone chime in?

Stock converter?

If so I can tell you from experience you won't be happy. It needs a converter specifically built for your combination AND you will want at a minimum 3.23's, I would go 3.55's.

I had stock converter and 2.76's and it was an absolute pig outta the hole. Once you got into the power band it took off pretty good.

It's a 3 speed manual, I will eventually change rear ends. The heads are set up for a la style intake. What hp levels do you think it will be at

I'm no good at the HP game, but I agree with these guys, it's gonna need a ton more gear to get into the RPM range of that cam... With those gears I'm betting high 14's as well.. the thin air up here really doesn't help anybody, especially NA cars...

Welcome to the boards, tons of good info and advice and lots of racers who can chime in more

Joe

Check out LXGuy's website
http://www.magnumswap.com/

hit the magnum swaps section
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/forumdisplay.php?f=131

As per Magnumswap Website:
"Oil Pan
To install a Magnum motor in your car, you will need a car-style mid sump oil pan and matching pickup tube. All Magnum motors have rear sump truck-style oil pans. If you’re putting the Magnum in a truck or SUV, the existing pan will work.
The Chrysler LA 360 oil pan will bolt-up to the Magnum with no modifications, but you aren’t stuck with the typical leaky four-piece 360 Gasket. The Magnum uses a one-piece oil pan gasket. If you use the Magnum timing cover, you can use the gasket as-is. It is possible to use the Magnum gasket with the LA timing cover, but modifications to the front of the gasket are required. Details here: Oil Pan Gasket"

This is the pan we have on it righ now, thinking it will work

Attachments

• image.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 151
-
Back