Newbie from Iowa (Need Some Input/Advice!)

-

w.miller

Reaction score
Hello from Iowa! New to posting, but been lurking around for awhile. Figured I'd register and introduce myself and hopefully get some advice from some other knowledgeable members! I'm not sure what I want to do with the Dart. Either keep it and frestore it, or sell it the way she sits.

Hopefully someone can give me some advice or input. Thanks in advance for any info!

I have an all original 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger with a 318 auto. It's a 2 door hardtop, and is an all matching numbers car. The bad part is it has some rot, and is currently not running. It needs passenger fender replaced, both front floor pans, and possibly some rear quarter skins. The interior is complete, and is still in decent condition, but has a rip on drivers side from dry crack, and dash has a few cracks. It's been sitting for some time now, and I don't know if I'm up for the task of restore project on this old Mopar.

I think I'd maybe like to sell it, we'll try to? But I don't really know what the value is the way she sits. All body parts, and interior, and motor parts are still there and in pretty good condition. I will have to post some pics later.

As stated above, she currently isn't running. It's been sitting not running for about 4 years but the motor is free. Haven't tinkered or tried messing with it yet, so it might not need anythingmmajor. It has a current clean title, and is up to date on registration.

Sorry for the first long post and asking what the car would be worth. I just don't think I'll ever have the time to restore/repair it.

Thanks again in advance. Cheers!

Welcome "W"!

From your description, I understand your thoughts. The fact that it's a complete car matters. I hope it's saleable as is. Posting the pics, when you can, will help a lot. Maybe someone here will take it off you hands???

Welcome.Post some pictures,if possible. That way ,we can help you figure out a game plan. A 70 Dart,is one of the more popular models.

Welcome! All things considered, you are always better to start with a clean (or cleaner) shell. Ask me how I know...

Post some pics.

Welcome to FABO from Waterloo. We need pics! tmm

I used to purchase cars like this all the time just for the challenge of it.

Step one, get it running.

Step two, correct mechanical issues. Front to rear.

Step three, is electrical issues.

Step four is one body part at a time.

Never set a time frame, just do it as time allows.

Yeah I'm working on pics. Maybe later today I can get them posted. I've thought about maybe restoring it but when I look for replacement panels, and parts it gets pretty pricey! I thought about selling it as a whole, or maybe parting it out. Just can't make my mind up though.

Like I said earlier it's all original, and numbers matching all the way down to the oem hubcaps! In fact it still has the dealership badge it came from on the trunk.

Toolmanmike - I'm from Waterloo also! That's pretty crazy, never thought I'd run into someone on this forum that lives within 5 minutes of me haha.

Thanks cuda, nice to see yet another one from Iowa. That's awesome! Oh and by the way, I fixed the pics so they all show now.

I'd say $800-1200 as it sits. I bought a very similar car, same year and color but it was GT with an 8 3/4 rear and bucket seats for $800!! No motor though, but very comparable!! JMO of course, but a semi-informed one!!

From your initial post, I'd say your best bet would be to sell it and find a running driving example that you can enjoy and work on at the same time!! Welcome to FABO and good luck with whatever you decide to do!! Geof

Welcome to the site. I have to agree with cosgig's thoughts.
I personally would shop around for a rust free (as you can find) body and use you car as a parts donor.

How about this 72 for $1000? "Tons of extra parts" I don't know exactly what is with it.

Attachments

• 00Q0Q_g03gvwAVMvG_600x450.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 00S0S_5l0YP3u7fpL_600x450.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 00i0i_1kHwKnJ4xiO_600x450.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 153
Thanks for all the info guys.

Cosgig - That price range seems alright for a selling stand point. As for the motor it spins freely, and I ewill hopefully have it up and running sometime soon. I probably will replace all the floor pans before anything, then maybe go from there. I do have to get some newer tires for the 14's also.

Well I think I'm gona have to let the Dart go. I won't be having any time to try and fix it up, or mess with it. So I think I will be listing it up for sale.

I will try to get the motor going again, but if someone wanted to just pick it up the way it sits that's fine. I will pry list it here for awhile first, and then go to Craigslist at some point even though I'm not to fond of Craigslist.

I've weighed my options and it'll take to much time, and parts will be kind of out of my budget for awhile.

Well decision has been made. Due to current work situations this thing has to go. Will be listing up for $500 cash. Up to date, clear title is in hand and ready to go. I had every intention to rebuild this Dart, but being laid off has a huge impact on a lot of other things right now.

-
Back