newbie here lol

-

Bearkat50

Reaction score
2thumbs.gif
hey guys am a newbie to mopars and i just got my first mopar 3 days ago and am wondering what i should do with it, my car is a 72 dart 2 dr originally a 318 auto car, i know i want to use it for the track as well as the street and dont have an excessive amount of cash to throw into it. bought it for $550 and it came with a 318 motor and a 904 transmission with a lockup torque converter. let me know some ideas guys please id really appreciate it, oh yea also does anyone know if a grill and rear bumper from a 70 dart would fit? or would a bigblock fit in here easilly? let me know pros and cons please im new to mopar thanks
cheers.gif
icon_smile_big.gif

dodgedart1.jpg

dodgedart2.jpg

dodgedart3.jpg

dodgedart4.jpg

dodgedart5.jpg

dodgedart6.jpg

Welcome to FABO!

I see you have your plate full! LOL!

It really depends what you want to create your vehicle into and of course how much you are willing to invest. Mopars are high to fix up when compared to Chevy parts...... believe me! We'll be glad to answer any questions you have.

Welcome, it looks as though you have your hands full. But you could literly do what ever you want with it. If you dont have a bunch of cash I would throw the motor/trans in it that came with the car.

Welcome. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks here, so just post your questions in the appropriate sections below.

looks like alot of work ahead of you i would keep the 318 and ditch that p.o.s 904 and go for a 727 its a way better tranny thats virtually bullet proof

Welcome!! Nice find for $550. There are a ton of options as far as the build, and yes you could big block it. Id suggest going back and looking through some old threads and seeing which direction you want to go. More power means upgrading the brakes, suspension, etc and will cost more obviously than just getting it road worthy with the 318/904 combo and then making the upgrades later. Keep us posted on the progress and best of luck with the build!!!

Welcome aboard, I'm going to move this to a different section since, he he he, you just jumped right into the fray with 2 feet and no lookin.

But to answer your question........

You do have a good bit of work infront of you. My suggestions are;

For now, use the 318 and 904. A big block will fit in there. And Shumahcer (sp) creative services ( http://www.engine-swaps.com/ ) makes swapping engines easy. But the cost of it all is just more money that right now, you don't have alot of, it can wait for better days.

Work with what you have now, go big block later.

Work on the body, engine compartment first since it is empty, and get it ready for paint. Cheap paint doesn't mean a poor job or finish. Lay down several coats and top it off with several clear coats and just keep on buffing.

Performance wise, the 318 can make a nice scoot. Basic add on's and a cam will get you into the 13's without getting into the rebuilding of the engine. Just comploment the engines power with a stall converter, in which you can get a inexpensive lock up converter from MoPar/Mancini racing, scroll to the bottom of the page. (http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mopper41.html) with a basic shift kit for the lock up tranny.
And a set of gears for the rear and some S/S springs.

While theres nothing like a big block for motorvation, the conversion kit plus the big block and tranny needed for it, (Big blocks need there own tranny, the small block tranny will not bolt up) and then driveshaft shortening, upgraded rear, etc.... well, it adds up quick. By the time you get half way through, you could have been rolling with the small block.

Snoop around here in the for sale section of used intakes and such for the 318 on the cheap.

Welcome and to say the least you are one lucky dude to have happened onto this site as there are a ton of guys and gals that can walk you through any phase of your build. A word of advice. Building these cars is somewhat like eating an elephant. Do it one bite at a time. You cant eat it all at once nor can you build that car all at once so be patient and you'll get her done. Parts galore as you need em.

-
Back