Newbie here starting my 1st A body and need a/c help

-

mikeyt2014

Reaction score
I'm buying a 68 Dart GT that's all original 1 owner car that's been garage kept. So I want to redo the a/c since I'm sure it doesn't work and the efficiency isn't as good as today's for sure. I was looking around on ebay and found this company www.classicautoair.com H as anyone used them or are they any good? This kit runs $529 but I know I have to buy the condensor and the evaporator also seperately and here is what they have:

Are you tired of the recurring shaft-seal leaks, high horsepower draw and heavy weight of the stock RV2 compressor? Our high-performance modern rotary compressor upgrade kit will help with not only that, but provide better fuel economy and performance, allow for a continuous duty rating of 6,000 RPM and save half the weight of the stock compressor, but it'll look cool as well! It's also a great start to converting your air conditioning system from to 134a!
WHAT DO I GET WITH THIS KIT?
  • Modern rotary compressor
  • Compressor mount
  • Suction hose (from compressor to accumulator)*
  • Discharge hose (from compressor to top fitting on condenser)*
  • Expansion Valve
  • Thermostat
  • Filter-Drier
  • O-Rings & hardware
  • All the tech support you need!
* Suction & Discharge hoses are supplied with one end open on each, along with the appropriate ends or hose openings. Trim to fit and either clamp or crimp new fittings on locally or send to us and we'll crimp & return them for free.
WHAT DON'T I GET WITH THIS KIT?
Anything that does not require changing when upgrading to a rotary compressor. Parts such as the condenser, liquid hose and/or line, any heater related parts and parts inside the car will all need to be re-used.
Any part that contains refrigerant within it will also need to be flushed clean to prevent contamination of newly replaced parts that can void 1-year warranty.
BEFORE PURCHASING

TYPICAL SMALL-BLOCK (318, 340 & 360) CONVERSION!

Classic Auto Air has been around a while. They are as good as you can get. The techs will walk you through what you need help on.
my suggestion is, if you're under restoration, is to seal/weld up all holes and start fresh. Their kit will not use the same holes. This is common in all aftermarket kits.
They are very efficient in the heat and cool sides.
You can also keep your factory heat/air and go aftermarket condenser &/or compressor. Your choice. that's what I did and have a great cooling a/c too. I live in Tampa and can keep cool all summer long.
If you ever think about going 6 pac(smallblock) there is only one option. The Bouchilon brackets and shorty Sanden(7312) compressor. Classic Auto Air can set you up with this also.
You can download/send for their instruction manual for a heads up on installing.

I do want to keep all the dash stuff oem if possible. I'll put a new heater core, condensor, and evaporator in it, for that matter I could probably use the same lines, just buy new ones if I'm able to change out the compressor and it accepts them the same way. This car is a 69 Dart gt with a 273 in it, I made a typo earlier. How much was the compressor and bracket, do you have p/n's on them

The original system is so simple and straight forward, why would you even consider reengineering it? If your car is anything even remotely along the lines of a "restoration" the aftermarket A/C stuff is going to stand out like a sore thumb.
Stick with what Ma Mopar put in there, and just freshen everything up. You'll be happier and the car worth more in the long run.

Mikey, I don't remember part #'s sorry. Check with Classic Auto Air or Bouchilon about the brackets. The "shorty' compressor is #7312 as stated above. You probably won't need this compressor unless you're going 6 bbl. The normal Sanden compressor you see all over eBay should work. Watch for 12v versus 24v clutch when purchasing.
I stayed all Chrysler a/c except the compressor. You'll have to make up new rubber lines anyhow and the a/c shop can make them fit on both ends. Old to new.
I have a '74 Duster and all the new a/c evaporator and heater core were available. I rebuilt heater/ac box before reinstalling it.
I installed a hi/lo switch at the drier rather than the original lo pressure switch. Looks the same just makes a/c safer with the pressures. It was available from Classic Air. Should be available at any a/c shop. And surely go to 134 Freon.
Good luck.

oh I forgot. Classic can redo your hard lines. They can either recoat the finish on your lines or make you new ones from your lines, They do have many lines in stock to make yours from or send them your lines to make copies from. Mark showed me their stock of lines. I was just there 2 weeks ago. I didn't like the stainless steel. Too over the top for me. The original material lines he had I loved the original look & finish. Your choice.

I work at Oreilly auto parts as one of my part time jobs and actually all the stuff is available through them, which I may do since I can use my employee discount on it. I just saw them on ebay and wondered about them. I just may replace it all with OEM which is most likely the way I'll go. If for some reason the hoses do become an issue I have a company that's local to me that can make them. Is the heater core and evaporator hard to access? Is taking apart the dash and heater box a nightmare?

It isn't usually fun. Remove the passenger seat firsthand and console if you have one. You'll have a few nuts to remove out in the engine bay and usually a strap accessible by removing the glove box liner. Of course you'll have to remove all the pertinent hoses at firewall. There will be a long u-bolt that hangs into the overhead vent that needs removed. The heater/air box will usually fall down once the strap is loosened. It is a tight fit to get out from under the dash but it will come. The heater box plastic will probably be a little brittle. Be careful not to break it. somebody will make a box rebuild kit with gaskets & such. Also a firewall insulation set is available too.

See my photos post in July 2013 on updating my 74 Dart Sport with the engine compartment kit from Classic Air if you don't care about the originality of the V2 compressor. Be sure to replace the evaporator as old ones will look ok, pressure test ok, yet still leak down eventually after several days. My car was originally A/C but the components had been removed by the previous owner and came with the car.

-
Back