newbie needs suspension help..

-

cricket73

Reaction score
hey folks.. my 71 dart came to me with lots of issues, one being the bad suspension.. i'm really new at this, so bear with me if i'm asking silly questions. is there something i need to test/look for first? for instance, should my first though be looking for new leaf springs, or is there another part i should be looking at before changing those out? springs? shocks? again, really new, but ready to learn!

Well, how does it drive? Seeing how old the car is, it would be in your best intrest to rebuild the front end (ie, bushings, ball joints, and alinement). I'm not as experienced as most others on this site, but that seems like a good start. I noticed a big diffrence after I rebuild the front end on my 72 dart even after I destroyed the upper and lower passanger control arms on a curb.

good call Mild Mannered,
get a reasonably priced alignment, and if theres still problems you should look at a full front end rebuild. these cars are pretty old now but fortunately theres alot of resourses and companies offering rebuild kits for front suspensions the way you want it.
plenty of knowledge on this site for help if you need it.
fwiw- the leaf springs probably aren't the first issue you need to address.
-pauly

Good advise in the above posts,also check your leaf spring bushings for wear(cracking)Most spring shops can re-arch your leaf springs(cheaper route)or just buy replacement springs.good luck.

If your out in Valley Station, stop by and I can help you with some mechanically issues....Also have tons of reference material.......plus you can come and see our Valiants....

i'm up in louisville, downtown, at 7th and breck. where in valley station? i may be able to make a trip!

3rd street road, near arnoldstown road, next to Herbert lane

-
Back