newbie transmission question

-

fitchett

Reaction score
what trannys work with small block mopars and how do u identify them do they have numbers on them.i have a couple laying around dont know what they r though.

Well, at a glance, the first thing to figure out is whether you're looking at a 727 or 904 transmission. There are two easy ways to tell: First, the 727 is a big mamma jamma, and the 904 is more reasonably sized. Second, the trans pan on the 904 looks like this: and the 727's looks like this.

The 727 is most likely to be a v8 trans, but there are slant six 727's out there.

The next thing to decipher, is whether it's a v8 or \6 trans, the quickest way to tell is to look at the starter location. On a v8 trans, the pocket for the starter sits at about 4 o'clock on the trans, looking at the front of the trans. while a slant six trans will have it closer to two o'clock. see: V8 and \6

If the transmission is a 727, it may in fact be a big block transmission, I'm not familiar with the difference between the big and smallblock trannies, But I believe the starter location is different somehow too.

there are slant six 727's out there.

If the transmission is a 727, it may in fact be a big block transmission, I'm not familiar with the difference between the big and smallblock trannies, But I believe the starter location is different somehow too.

i would like to see a slant 6 727.i believe they were never compatable or produced for the slant 6. the 904 is 31 inches long and the 727 is 35 inches long regardless if it is a big or small block. the way to tell a BB 727 from a SB is the size of the converter housing. the starter is in the same spot on both. use the link i gave you to determine what you have. the spline count alone will help

i would like to see a slant 6 727.i believe they were never compatable with a slant 6. the 904 is 31 inches long and the 727 is 35 inches long regardless if it is a big or small block. the starter is in the same spot on both.

slant 6 727 came in some older trucks. used to be a yard around here with a ton of old navy trucks that had slants with 727 trans in them...

what trannys work with small block mopars and how do u identify them do they have numbers on them.i have a couple laying around dont know what they r though.

best bet is a 904... easy way to tell the slant from a small block 904 is starter location.

trans%20pans%20difference.jpg

If you post the numbers off of them, we can give you a lot more info about what they came in originally. The I.D. numbers are stamped into the drivers' side pan rail.

-
Back