Newer 318 engine.

-

19plymouth72

Reaction score
Hi guys i was wondering how easy it would be to fit 1 318 v8 5 speed or automatic(late '90s motor)into my 1972 plymouth valiant with a slant 6 currently.

Hi guys i was wondering how easy it would be to fit 1 318 v8 5 speed or automatic(late '90s motor)into my 1972 plymouth valiant with a slant 6 currently.
welcome. 318 magnums fit in A-bodies. there are magnum swap articles if you use the search bar. I'll say this, to put a small block in place of your 6, you'll need adapting motor mounts, small block radiator and a small block tranny. As far as the 5 speed or OD tranny, there are articles on that also.

You slant transmission won't fit, and your choice as mentioned above is either to fab mounts, or buy aftermarket adapter mounts to fit the /6 K frame OR scare up a V8 K frame. "You could use" 68--76, but preferred would be 73/ later as those have the improved "spool" engine mounts

There is a guy making or developing an adapter kit to bolt a 5-speed onto that 318. I haven't heard from him here on FABO for a while, and I forget his name. I think it was for an Aisen trans. Possibly,probably not strong enough for a warmed up 360, but perfect for a teener.
Otherwise than that; as far as swaps go, yours would be pretty easy.

-
Back