newer challengers

-

Stone Runner

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a newer used challenger w/manual trans. This would be mostly a daily driver. Are there certain years that are better than others? Used RTs are a good price point but I think a used low mile SRT might be the way to go. Thinking of a 2009 or 2010 but could get newer. Will probably end up keeping forever and just rebuilding later. I can afford a new one but would prefer one that has depreciated a bit. Thanks for any sage advice.

2011+ has better handling and features. If going for auto-trans, go late 2012+ as earlier ones had timing chain tensioner issues and broken chains. I love my 2013 R/T Classic.

Attachments

• car2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 651
One of the new ones. Thought it was 14 or 15 had a total interior redesign. Interior is a thousand times nicer then the old ones.

I say if you are gonna do it go for the srt. Much more car.

Seem people have better results with the automatics too.

I've backed off the thought of buying one, but looked at them pretty hard a for a little while. Pretty much decided I'm not doing anything, but I keep looking things up.

Personally, I like the interior on the '15 the best, but wouldn't say no to an earlier one.

Personally, the Super Track Pack option is a must, no idea when they started that option. I've read that the STP option makes the car more likely to wheel-hop, though. No experience, just read it on the internet. :angel12:

Ideal (for me) would be a '15 Scat Pack 6M, but I would be ok with any 5.7 6M as long as I accept that I would be modifying it. Test drove a 5.7 6M and while it was fun I don't think it would be enough for very long and would require mod's at some point, while I don't think I would do anything to a 6.4 except drive it. :headbang:

If you are handy and have a shop, and plan to keep it "forever", you might look on copart.com. There is a '14 R/T for $5100 right now, just needs some interior work and a paint job to remove the text scratched into the doors and c-pillars. Couldn't read it, but pretty sure it started with "cheat...". :)

One of the new ones. Thought it was 14 or 15 had a total interior redesign. Interior is a thousand times nicer then the old ones.

MY2015 was when the interior was redesigned.

I say if you are gonna do it go for the srt. Much more car.

Can't argue. I think you could make a base R/T acceptable, but you will be spending money and getting your hands dirty (typical build vs. buy dilemma). SRT's have plenty of luxury to them that I'm not so interested in, but that is just me. Scat Pack is the best of both worlds, IMO.

Seem people have better results with the automatics too.

Automatics are faster, for sure. Not as much fun, but faster. O:)

Can't argue. I think you could make a base R/T acceptable, but you will be spending money and getting your hands dirty (typical build vs. buy dilemma). SRT's have plenty of luxury to them that I'm not so interested in, but that is just me. Scat Pack is the best of both worlds, IMO.

Have a friend that just bought a 15 srt. Traded in an 11 I think it was r/t. He was looking at that scat pack. He hated the ride. Got in the srt and loved it.
People forget that the srt isn't just a motor upgrade. It's a total package upgrade. Those brakes are incredible too. Big $$$$$$ to build up a r/t or scat pack to match the total srt package.

In the end it comes down to personal preference and what you will be happy with. I know if I bought a r/t or scat pack with intentions of keeping it forever I would kick myself daily for not getting the srt.

Have a friend that just bought a 15 srt. Traded in an 11 I think it was r/t. He was looking at that scat pack. He hated the ride. Got in the srt and loved it.
People forget that the srt isn't just a motor upgrade. It's a total package upgrade. Those brakes are incredible too. Big $$$$$$ to build up a r/t or scat pack to match the total srt package.

Pretty sure the '15 SRT has electromagnetic shocks. If nothing else, those have to add a huge range of usability. Luxury ride or track toy hard at the flick of a switch.

Truth is, the new SRT's have never even been on my radar (a.k.a. price range), so I don't know much about the package.

The copart car sounds like it came from a Carrie Underwood song. I have a history of buying broken toys and fixing them up. Kind of my justification for all the boats and motorcycles etc.
The SRTs with the 6.1 seem tempting since the prices have depreciated.

The new 15's have the new 8 speed trans too ( I know, you are looking for a manual )
But I was shopping them pretty hard too.
The 15 Challenger was all I was considering due to the new interior and drivetrain updates.
I ended up being sold on a new 300S because the lot has ROWS of them and discounted like crazy.
The 300 also had the updates same as the Challenger and for ten bucks more than the crappy little Jeep we had I now have leather interior, sporty dash, the new 20 inch rims ( again Challenger & 300 which I love the look ), 8 speed auto and the 300 HP V6.
It's no Hemi but for a daily driver hustles more than enough, and after a long trip in Amish country this weekend I got GREAT gas mileage.
I REALLY like the 15's and I figured I'll wait 2-3 years when they start getting turned in and get me one then.

I bought a used 2012 R/T 5.7 6M when it was 9 months old, it had 3K miles on it.
I just turned it over 12K miles last week.
It was a trade in at a local VW dealership, a friend I went to high school and collage was the used car manager, traded my Buell Ulysses XBX12 street bike in on it and gave $23K difference, not bad for basically a new car.

eKuPq5.jpg

Pretty sure the '15 SRT has electromagnetic shocks. If nothing else, those have to add a huge range of usability. Luxury ride or track toy hard at the flick of a switch.

Just a quick follow-up.

First, not sure the SRT has electromagnetic shocks, but I think they were at least a 3 setting setup.

Second, the 2016 Scat Pack cars appear to now have the SRT 3 setting shocks. Not certain, but I think the 2015 Scat Pack's only had the Super Track Pack shocks. So now, you can buy a Scat Pack and get the same ride as the SRT. :)

Third, for 2016, it appears the Super Track Pack option is only available on the R/T Plus. The available option list does not show it for the base R/T, nor any of the shaker R/T's. Doesn't make any sense to me, but that's how I read it.

Lastly, I think the Super Track Pack option now includes a "High Speed Engine Controller". Wonder what that is. Maybe the speed limiter has been raised or removed??? Higher redline?? Maybe it was there in the list for 2015 and I missed it, but don't know.

Just some random info I stumbled across.

I keep going back & forth about getting rid of my old cars and getting a New Challenger,
I saw a 2011 R/T 41K miles on it for $23,000

They are starting to get lower on price as the years go buy.
I have the option within a day to put a 5k deposit on a new hellcat challenger, built and ordered to what I want, tempting but honestly my current one has more power than you can use.

I have had both the 6spd and auto. I must say I like the auto better. When it comes to new '15 or newer or '14 or older it's simply a matter of personal taste. I happen to like the older '14 down. like the grill tail lights and no frills interiors.
Do you just want transportation or go fast? If you want to go fast get the 392.
If you want good transportation you can make some adjustments (bolt ons) go with the 5.7
The 5.7 are more plentiful.

Drive one, that is the only way if you know its for you.

Plus, super comfortable, fast, decent on fuel.

Down side you cannot see to back it up, and parking it is hard because it is as wide as a pickup truck.
I actually select parking spots that are not around any cars.

I appreciate all the input. I picked up a 2014 RT anniversary addition with 6 spd and 15,000 miles, leather etc... It is a repairable car. The damage is body only, no air bag deployment. The major project will be replacing the rear quarter panel the rest will be bolt on parts. I went this route to have a winter project, save money because I am performing the work myself, and since I'll be keeping it long term I'm not concerned about the lower resale value. With the money saved (not counting my labor) I can add some bolt on mods.

and on the plus side, now you can paint it EL5, something ma mopar failed to do :banghead:

nice...I was going to say there's a guy in Delaware that wanted to trade my 73 'Cuda 340 4spd for his GWE (Green w Envy) 2011 SRT8 w/ 6k miles 6m straight trade. you could've prob. picked it up for 28-29k.

I appreciate all the input. I picked up a 2014 RT anniversary addition with 6 spd and 15,000 miles, leather etc... It is a repairable car. The damage is body only, no air bag deployment. The major project will be replacing the rear quarter panel the rest will be bolt on parts. I went this route to have a winter project, save money because I am performing the work myself, and since I'll be keeping it long term I'm not concerned about the lower resale value. With the money saved (not counting my labor) I can add some bolt on mods.

Is it that Maroon color? If so I love that color, Also that pkg has real nice interior. Congrats.

Sweet! Did you do the copart thing or get it somewhere else? Any pictures? Can you say how much?

I had to just stop watching copart.com. Kept finding stuff that I wanted, but I am progressing towards a house addition/garage and that makes better sense than buying a car I need to work on when I don't have a place to really work on it. :D

Where are the pic's of the new ride???????

I had an older srt charger an 06, even just the 6.1L hemi with bolt ons was very fast, havent test drive the 6.4L yet, but the only thing I don't like about the srt is the stupied 20" wheels, that gets the pocket book when have to replace, not to much of a range on width, but I know the stock 06 could fit a 315 in stock wells with stock wheels, i put 295 on mine, put some Nitto inveo on and hook pretty good. Just my .02 have since sold it needing a truck for more things and sticking to my two classics I'm working on in my sig. Wouldn't mind another though, very fun cars

They look great, but they are too heavy, too slow and too expensive.

I just got out of my '15 RT+ STP 6M Sublime car. I was tired of the wheel hop & it just didn't do it for me. Bought a '67 383 Barracuda to replace it for daily driving duties.

I had an '09 RT 6M HEMI Orange car that got some hail damage & traded it in on the '15. The cars are ok for daily driving but don't really excite me & they just have a new/late model at feeling to them.

I do have an old pistol grip that I adapted to the original shift handle to make it the correct heigh & it's the old style. The Gunsliger ones are much too tall so I had to make something to work.

22825238435_fd5786e53f_z_d.jpg

15558764469_74797d3918_z_d.jpg

17173262819_93cd6ccb0e_z_d.jpg

-
Back