newish paint-waxes, sealers? what

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I did the body work/paint last Sept or earlier on 3 of my cars. I see the ads all the time for these modern sealers instead of waxes. Just wondering what is good The tree pollen is already starting here in SE Tx and it get bad! NO I don't have an enclosed garage!!!

I would suggest you always go to a good paint sealant over a wax. They are much easier to apply, more chemical resistant and last longer then waxes and bond to the paint surface much better. I purchased some Last Coat sealant but haven’t tried it yet so I can’t attest to how good it is, there lots of good choices in sealants you might want to google some reviews to see what others are liking.

Jescar power lock + followed by collonite 845. Monthly I spray on a light coat of polymer sealant called P & S Bead maker. There are a lot of reviews on Jescar Power lock + and Collonite 845.

No one uses this stuff!!???? I see new products new to me they are calling them silicon dioxide based. I hate Armour All it is bad on vinyl. Never have a drop anywhere if painting!!!!! Is this sio2 stuff just the lastest BS to sell someone and is canaba wax still the best?

I did the body work/paint last Sept or earlier on 3 of my cars. I see the ads all the time for these modern sealers instead of waxes. Just wondering what is good The tree pollen is already starting here in SE Tx and it get bad! NO I don't have an enclosed garage!!!

Griot Garage just developed a ceramic/wax product that is applied much like a spay on detailer. They reportedly developed it in house. The cost is reasonable and some of the highlights of the product are it's self cleaning, ease of application, durability and water beading performance.

It sounds good on paper, but I have yet to try it. I'm leaning towards it though, as I have several vehicles that need paint correction, polishing and sealing.

Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax - Griot's Garage

^^^ Seems everything has some of the silicon dioxide. I hope it is not like ArmourAll!!!

Pollen (pine and hardwood) season is days away. I have to apply something to repell the chit, it will stain!!

Ask yourself this.... If there is a hi tech application that will chemically bond to paint and offer Nanotech scratchproof color enhancing results .
Why aren't the factories doing this before shipping the car ?
I have yet to see any Technical proof that they do what they claim.

^^^ Seems everything has some of the silicon dioxide. I hope it is not like ArmourAll!!!

Pollen (pine and hardwood) season is days away. I have to apply something to repell the chit, it will stain!!

I hate what ArmourAll did to my dashes and vinyls in the 80's. It is harmful to everything I ever put it on back in the day.

Insects poop in mid flight out here leaving yellow and sometimes rust colored droppings on my cars. It's hard to remove the rust colored stains on my light colored car.

The only thing I've found that will get the stains off my paint is Comet in the green can. It says will not scratch delicate surfaces right on the label. I've been using it on my light colored cars since the late 70's and it's very effective. Just don't use it on dark colored cars or it will photo chemically react with the paint. It also gives the added benefit of polishing the paint.

DennisH.JPG

What is "silicon dioxide"? I always thought it was just an industrial abrasive, like what many grinding wheels are made from. Or used as "grit" in many sandpapers. So why would it be used in "paint sealant"? I have no idea, but it sounds awful fishy to me.

Anyways, per "Medical News Today":

Silicon dioxide occurs widely in nature. The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) give an idea to just how common this compound is.

It is easiest to recognize by its common name, quartz, which makes up about 12% of the earth’s crust. However, silicon dioxide also occurs naturally in everything from water and plants to animals.

Silica sand covers many beaches, and it makes up most of the rocks on earth. In fact, silica-containing minerals or silica itself make up more than 95% of the earth’s crust.

Silicon dioxide also exists in numerous plants that humans regularly consume, such as:

• dark, leafy greens
  • some grains and cereals, such as oats and brown rice
  • vegetables, such as beets and bell peppers
  • alfalfa
Silicon dioxide also occurs naturally in the human body, though it is still unclear the exact role it plays.

Manufacturers use silica to make everything from glass to cement, but it also has a use in the food industry as an additive and anticaking agent. This type of food additive prevents foods from caking or sticking together in clumps. This may help ensure a product’s shelf life, protect against the effects of moisture, and keep powdered ingredients from sticking together and helping them flow smoothly.

There must be dozes of these "sealants" now and they all have this SiO2 as part of its makeup. All I remember from 50 years ago in school was having to take them ALL over!!
A good canauba wax is old school, but I am old!! I was hoping to get a roof over my cars this winter, but here in SE Tx winter is bout gone!!! High of 72 today, 95 next week maybe!!! lol

There are modern waxes that protect better than good old carnuba. I've been using Turtle Wax "Ice" on my cars for a while now. Good stuff. Don't know what's in it, but no silicon dioxide. Probably some kind of silicone, or top-secret petro-chemical.

My son has a white Avalanche. He used this on it in the fall. You know how winter roads get here in Missouri. All he's done through the winter, is spray it off. Told me he hasn't used any soap yet. He swears by it, and he is anal about keeping his truck looking good. I'm going to use it on my truck and car, when it warms up.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mothers-...echron ceramic spray coating products&veh=sem

My son has a white Avalanche. He used this on it in the fall. You know how winter roads get here in Missouri. All he's done through the winter, is spray it off. Told me he hasn't used any soap yet. He swears by it, and he is anal about keeping his truck looking good. I'm going to use it on my truck and car, when it warms up.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mothers-CMX-CMX-Ceramic-Spray-Coating-24-oz/725180552?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222277029583&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=74766906542506&wl4=pla-4578366454205202&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=& wl10=Walmart&wl12=725180552_10001025924&wl14=techron ceramic spray coating products&veh=sem

I will grab some at Wally today. There seems to be many of similar chemistry out there.

I will grab some at Wally today. There seems to be many of similar chemistry out there.

Hope it works as well for you. Did I mention that he is anal about some things. Whenever I have a question about a product, I ask him to research it for me.

Ha.. The Wally we goto only had all the "cheaper" products, the other stuff I will have to order.

Side note: I always buy Powerade at Wally it comes in 28 oz bottle. We bought some at another Tx other brand store, they had different flavors I noticed, then I saw their bottle were a little bigger at 32oz and cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Screwed aaaaaaaaagain!

You have to watch Wally, and Sam. They have products made to their sizes, and especially at Sam's, packaged in multiples. If you break down the cost per ounce, or per item, lot of times it's not necessarily cheaper. I was at Sam's with a friend of mine that had a restaurant. He was going to buy a 2 pack of 1 1/2 gallon Clorox, until I pointed out it was almost $1 more than 3, 1 gallon jugs at the grocery store.

.99 cent only is the same scenario: "Ooh, a can of string be beans for .99!" Uhm...they are .69 at Alberstons...."oops...carry on"

Ask yourself this.... If there is a hi tech application that will chemically bond to paint and offer Nanotech scratchproof color enhancing results .
Why aren't the factories doing this before shipping the car ?
I have yet to see any Technical proof that they do what they claim.
I bet you cannot paint over this stuff, like Nu-finish. Maybe thats why manufacturers dont apply at factory but I think some high end car dealers will do it for you post purchase, contractor guys in the same tent as the headlight refinishers.

You cant paint over turtle wax either
When I Here an independent chemist give his approval I will believe they are more than just wax

-
Back