Next Question - Balancer Time?

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
Now that the timing cover needs to be replaced on our M880 318, I'm looking at the balancer....that seems like a lot of rubber. As far as I know this engine is original except for a water pump and thermostat (that I've found, anyway).

I'm headed to Summit tomorrow to buy a pile of other things for this rig. Do I throw a new balancer in the cart too?

Balancer.JPG

Take a look at the Powerbond brand. Replacement or street version.

Yes to the balancer, and while you have the timing cover off, install a good double roller timing chain.
Do not know how old your engine is, but before you start throwing all kinds of superfluous fixes at it, is it time for an overhaul? The plugs in my '72 318 looked great, but she was hemorrhaging oil. So I bit the bullet, glad that I did, the rod bearings were into the copper.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:
^^ and a tensioner...Get a balancer that is the same width.

Ok I'll be the odd man out ; I've seen a lot worse that were still on straight, just like yours. To Me it looks just like any, perhaps every, 318 ever parked in my driveway.
But hey, they're reasonably cheap..... and what price do you put on peace of mind....

Trickflow makes a nice balancer(havent installed yet) that I bought thru Summit.
Thanks for the info on the Trick Flow balancer. I just heard from Summit that my single plane intake has shipped. It'll match my TF 190 heads for my 408 build. I'll order the TF neutral balancer for the package. COVID-19, or whatever, has slowed my build. Prayers to all, especially to Veterans, at this time. pics to follow for all that care on my build. Paul.

Nevermind. I somehow thought this was about a slant 6. lol

Yes to the balancer, and while you have the timing cover off, install a good double roller timing chain.
Do not know how old your engine is, but before you start throwing all kinds of superfluous fixes at it, is it time for an overhaul? The plugs in my '72 318 looked great, but she was hemorrhaging oil. So I bit the bullet, glad that I did, the rod bearings were into the copper.
Just my opinion.

This process started as a cooling system and intake/4 bbl mod...then discovered the timing cover was jacked....so I bought a double roller for it..THEN decided to do the balancer since I was gonna have it off. I also found the water jacket studs broken off one head, so it's getting head gaskets too. I'm really not wanting to do a whole engine rebuild yet. I know it runs (not for long, no coolant at the time) and I want to get it running so I can make sure the rest of the driveline is ok. Down the road I plan to build a nice little stroker or something for it. It's an M882 Five-Quarter ton, with only 87k on the clock. The tires are from '93 and it was last registered in '95.

PW 1.jpg

It straightened my young *** out, and set my moral compass correctly for the rest of my life. We'll be neighbors soon, when my wife retires in the spring, and we move back to western Florida next summer.

-
Back