NHRA (IHRA?) stock eliminator - Fees? for 23.47 Weight break ??

-
The index is only about 4-5 seconds quicker than that car went off the showroom floor.
I think I would like that challenge. I have some pieces, and other pieces that I will be buying from an old stocker racer.
Cam, gears, converter, headers would move that car a long, long way from the factory single exhaust, 2.71's, and low stall
We just got to decide if this is what we want to do. I think it would be a blast.

Assuming the car is set up properly, using the moroso slider, to run 13.45@4170lbs is going to take about 295hp, at the crank, uncorrected(as the car sits on the starting line).

Assuming the car is set up properly, using the moroso slider, to run 13.45@4170lbs is going to take about 295hp, at the crank, uncorrected(as the car sits on the starting line).
I have a fresh 904 RMVB that was a backup for a stocker. I would have to get a converter. I have some pieces for the engine. This really wouldn't be expensive at this point for me.

The pace for the NHRA events is much slower than what goes on at a typical bracket race.
There is a lot of sitting around.
And the entry fees are fairly high.

Unless you’re fairly close to some tracks that host these events(nhra divisional or open races), I’d consider it carefully.
Also look into whether or not there are local stock and super stock association races, where they adhere to those rules(qualifying off the index, heads up runs, etc).

A lot of people think they can do it on the cheap.
It doesn’t usually work out that way.

Remember, you can’t dial slower than the index, and any run against a car in the same class is heads up.

One upside to running “P” is, there aren’t very many of them in the country.

the engine will have to be blueprinted, cyl heads, with 3 angle valve grind, block cut to min deck hgt, internal balance engine, cam , bullet cams or comp cams is best bet for a stocker cam, anti pump up lifters or solid lifters, 273 adj rocker arms or roller rockers, lt tension rings from total seal, pistons , from ross, JE, for legal pistons, after market rods are allowed, piston /rod has to weigh a min wgt, balanced, gears any ratio, 9 " tires , on rear just food fr thought.

A lot of people think they can do it on the cheap.
It doesn’t usually work out that way.

Remember, you can’t dial slower than the index, and any run against a car in the same class is heads up.

One upside to running “P” is, there aren’t very many of them in the country.
I think I could get the 13.45, or at least that would be the fun. I also would do it for hobby sport, never really caring if it was a winner

the engine will have to be blueprinted, cyl heads, with 3 angle valve grind, block cut to min deck hgt, internal balance engine, cam , bullet cams or comp cams is best bet for a stocker cam, anti pump up lifters or solid lifters, 273 adj rocker arms or roller rockers, lt tension rings from total seal, pistons , from ross, JE, for legal pistons, after market rods are allowed, piston /rod has to weigh a min wgt, balanced, gears any ratio, 9 " tires , on rear just food fr thought.
I would run the stock bottom end. Cam and rockers no problem. Like I said, just a hobby. Setting records wouldn't be at the top of my list. Just the fun in building one.

Do it.

When my friend started down that path 28 or so years ago, the car wouldn’t run the index at the first couple of races.

Since that time it’s gone on to set a few records.

Gotta start somewhere.

Do it.

When my friend started down that path 28 or so years ago, the car wouldn’t the index at the first couple of races.

Since that time it’s gone on to set a few records.

Gotta start somewhere.
Like you said, probably not a lot of cars that run that class. I thought I could take it to my local track and just run against the index by myself to see what I could get it to do. I really don't see me trailering it for hundreds of miles to compete. Maybe if an event was local. I would like to just build a stocker, class legal, and run it for the fun of it

Win what?
I don't know, class record ? Looks like the record was set for P/SA in 2008 in Tucson, Az with a 12.17 pass at 109.

Last edited:
I think you need to do a little more research on how Stock class is run.

In a nutshell, you qualify off the index.
The farther under the index you are, the higher you’re qualified.
Qualifying is done to establish the pairings for eliminations...... for a sportsmans ladder.

At many(most?)events there are no class eliminations.
Just the eliminator....... which is basically a bracket race.
Unless the ladder pairs you up with a car in the same class as you....... then it’s heads up/no break out.

Even when there are class run offs, unless you’re the only car that’s the only car in your class....... you’ll still have to race someone for a class win.
Cars that are the only one in their class go into a “combo”, where they run each other off a staggered tree(stagger is based off the class index) in a no break-out race.
Last man standing in the combo is the winner of those entries that were the only one in their class.

To set a record, you first have to set the record, then make a back up run within 1%.
Then, go directly to the tear down area and take apart what they tell you to take apart....... so it can be verified to be legal.

I think you need to do a little more research on how Stock class is run.

In a nutshell, you qualify off the index.
The farther under the index you are, the higher you’re qualified.
Qualifying is done to establish the pairings for eliminations...... for a sportsmans ladder.

At many(most?)events there are no class eliminations.
Just the eliminator....... which is basically a bracket race.
Unless the ladder pairs you up with a car in the same class as you....... then it’s heads up/no break out.

Even when there are class run offs, unless you’re the only car that’s the only car in your class....... you’ll still have to race someone for a class win.
Cars that are the only one in their class go into a “combo”, where they run each other off a staggered tree(stagger is based off the class index) in a no break-out race.
Last man standing in the combo is the winner of those entries that were the only one in their class.

To set a record, you first have to set the record, then make a back up run within 1%.
Then, go directly to the tear down area and take apart what they tell you to take apart....... so it can be verified to be legal.
Correct. I knew that it was basically a bracket race unless two cars are same class. I also know they tear down the engine. I know a guy in the mid 90's was the record holder for 4 years racing a 318 long bed truck. At one event, he set a record, they removed one head and the valves had nicked the top of the pistons and they disqualified him.

That 2008 info is leftover internet stuff. It’s not current.

I can’t get past the pop ups to see the current record list.

The newest info I could find is a couple years ago.
At that time, there was no record for P/SA.
It was at “minimum”, which means you could go to an event, run quicker than .500 under the index(12.95), go thru tear down...... and if you passed tech, you’d have the record.

The newest info I could find is a couple years ago.
At that time, there was no record for P/SA.
It was at “minimum”, which means you could go to an event, run quicker than .500 under the index(12.95), go thru tear down...... and if you passed tech, you’d have the record.
achievable it seems

I’m sure there have been plenty of runs quicker than that, but the ones doing it likely haven’t cared enough about the record to deal with the tear down.

I would run the stock bottom end. Cam and rockers no problem. Like I said, just a hobby. Setting records wouldn't be at the top of my list. Just the fun in building one.

You won’t be anywhere near competitive with a stock bottom end. You have to get the engine guide from NHRA and build it to that. You’ll probably need 8-10 head castings (with the correct casting numbers) to get a pair and a spare worth building.

To be competitive you’ll need hours and hours on the flow bench looking for .5 CFM anywhere you can get it, on the maximum allowed port volume of course.

Youll need to look at probably 6 or 7 different valve jobs and test them all, unless you pay someone who has made the castings you need Stock legal. Expect to pay through the nose for that.

You’ll need a modern, updated cam. A 10 year old cam won’t do it IF you want to be competitive.

Rings ain’t cheap.

By the time you start adding up, you’ll pay a lot of money to be competitive. Or you’ll spend less money and be a first round duck.

Stock Eliminator isn’t for the faint of heart.

You won’t be anywhere near competitive with a stock bottom end. You have to get the engine guide from NHRA and build it to that. You’ll probably need 8-10 head castings (with the correct casting numbers) to get a pair and a spare worth building.

To be competitive you’ll need hours and hours on the flow bench looking for .5 CFM anywhere you can get it, on the maximum allowed port volume of course.

Youll need to look at probably 6 or 7 different valve jobs and test them all, unless you pay someone who has made the castings you need Stock legal. Expect to pay through the nose for that.

You’ll need a modern, updated cam. A 10 year old cam won’t do it IF you want to be competitive.

Rings ain’t cheap.

By the time you start adding up, you’ll pay a lot of money to be competitive. Or you’ll spend less money and be a first round duck.

Stock Eliminator isn’t for the faint of heart.
I fully understand this. However, if I go forward with this I'll be just looking to build a legal car "for the fun of it". Hobby. Honestly, winning isn't the goal. It does appear that this class would be very low entry, and if nothing on the records there is a chance a 12.9 run would put my car on the records. I could make a copy of that and if erased quickly I'd still have a time with my car on the records.

did you mean 395 crank?
295 looks to be 14.8@4170
what iam i missing

-
Back