NHRA Tech

-

hemizach

Young Blood
Reaction score
Thought that I might as well post this since I had it saved. If anyone ever has any questions for what you need for your car to pass NHRA Tech then just go on the website. This may not be useful to everyone, but I figured I might as well share for the people that might need it.

http://www.nhra.org/contacts/tech_faq.html

dont get me started on how NHRA mandates the replacement of MINT CONDITION, PRISTINE, MOSTLY UN-USED , EXPENSIVE seat belts every 2 years .

yes,, your 2 year old MINT belt is now EXTREMELY UNSAFE. and will not pass tech.

GEE,,,, think anyone is making $$$$$ on this ??

:angryfir:

:banghead:

i know...i know..

i wish someone would start a racers petition on this stuff. I would but im way too lazy.

Im with you on the belts. It is just as much to get them recertified as to buy new ones. I understand UV, dirt, oil, snaggs ect. but its a joke. My OHSHA fall protection gear doesnt even need to be replaced every 2 years.

hi the 2years rule is supposed to have been modeled after the limit the military use;s on their belts!! civil aviation doesn't seem to require this limit.
new boeing 747 still have same belts in them after 15 years. yes the belt people are making money .

If I leave my 42 year old seat belts in my car, it will pass tech...but if I have my five point belt with 3 inch wide straps more than 2 years I have to get it recertified, what a joke!! I'm actually sending my belts out today to RJS for recertification...49 bucks...which is less than half of what I paid for them, so I guess its not too bad...but pointless spending non the less!

Agreed.... I will have to do the same thing when I eventually build a car. Everyone likes making money :/

NHRA supports the corporate sponsers. Can you say NHRA = Summit Racing and Jegs Sales Department. Don't get me started..................

dont get me started on how NHRA mandates the replacement of MINT CONDITION, PRISTINE, MOSTLY UN-USED , EXPENSIVE seat belts every 2 years .

yes,, your 2 year old MINT belt is now EXTREMELY UNSAFE. and will not pass tech.

GEE,,,, think anyone is making $$$$$ on this ??

:angryfir:

:banghead:
I KNOW WHERE YOUR COMING FROM. I CAN RUN 10.80'S WITH 30 YEAR OLD OEM SEAT BELTS, BUT CAN'T WITH A SAFER 2-YEAR OLD SEAT BELT. WHERES THE LOGIC?

Our home track just switched unexpectly to NHRA (Milan) As fast as it happened some of us kinda figure that something weird had to happen for them to change from IHRA so fast. was practiclly an over night thing. one day they have the 09 season stuff posted then poof!..... hey you all we are now NHRA. so most of us are sorta confused about what ya can run and what will not pass tech.
I am currently holding out along with some of the other guys because we are afraid that we will not pass tech. I currently have a bet with someone that we can run as fast as 11.50's without a cage per NHRA rules. So I will have to break down and get a rulebook to win the bet. but all of the cost have went up from last year. everything but the change to NHRA is the same from last year.

crap! it costs enough to get the cars together and now double to race. Really I think if a track changes sanctioning bodies just before a season starts with no advance notice then the NHRA should grandfather the local guys in and allow them in under the prior santioning bodys rules for a 60 day period.

Most low buck guys like myself have a budget set aside for racing for the season. Others have made their cars faster over the winter but, would have still been ok for the IHRA but, now will have slow their cars down from what they ran last year because they would not meet NHRA rules.

for pro racing I like the NHRA but for the local guy goofing off kind of guy like myself and many others I would much rather have the IHRA. it kinda starts the year off on a bad note.

From what I understand my car will be ok for what I want to run and pass tech. but I know a bunch of the 9-10 second guys that will not be running till mid season at best this year.

use to be able to go to the track on a wed night for test and tune pay 20 bucks and run till dark now , I would have 50 bucks into my outting with car prep. now it look more like 100 bucks. a lot of us do not have that kind of cash to spend.

Just kinda venting now I feel better. I know I could scare up a few street races at the local cruise nights but, heck I aint drag racing on the street too much to lose. but, is others might not think the same as I do .
I really hope that we do not see that kind of thing going on around here.

I will continue to encourage taking the racing to the track but, Some of these kids around here might not take the advise once they find out what it costs these days. I really hope we can have some of those 20 buck days that everyone can afford.

Pete

Our local track in Eastern Washington State went to NHRA over the winter and put a couple hundred thousand dollars of improvements in including concrete launch to 1/8th mile (cant wait to see people break on that for the first time, lol). From what we were used to for 50 years with virtually NO (and I mean NONE) tech and safety standards its going to be a huge wake up for everybody. No more bungee cord battery hold downs and glass jar puke bottles. I'm happy that it will be safer even if it costs a few bucks more to race but I know the serious people are worried about their first tech inspection. Im planning on making sure I'm good to 11.50's, make a balls to the wall run, then find out where I stand. Stuff like the belts though are really going to make a lot of people pissed. I dont know what I'll do about those type of deals. This is a weekend hobby for me and new expensive stuff that is perfectly good every other season is not going to be my cup of tea.

-Sefus

NHRA tech is a joke. One of my local tracks is now NHRA so when I went I was expecting a ball buster tech, but no this is what I got:
You running nitrous? No

You got a helmet? Yea

You got a girlfriend? Yea, she's at home

Good place for her, have fun.

I never popped the hood, he never asked why I don't have a battery switch, or if I had a driveshaft loop to go with my slicks. WTF? Oh well

Lol wigsplitter,Yea it's funny most drag cars are garage kept and windows are rolled up on them,you should see what passes tech at oval tracks.....o.m.g.it is a disgrace what they let pass thru tech safety wise! anything will pass tech (depending on who you are)performance wise.what a joke! I buy seat belts for my figure eight cars every two years even though they are good for five,I have passed them down to lower classes to get rid of them and to help some kid along.If you aint gonna use them find an oval track and pay it forward

hi the 2years rule is supposed to have been modeled after the limit the military use;s on their belts!! civil aviation doesn't seem to require this limit.
new boeing 747 still have same belts in them after 15 years. yes the belt people are making money .

Never hered of that one. I was in the Navy working on helos. Never changed a single belt the whole time I was there. If it ant broke don't fix it. We did not replace stuff that was broke some times. Did not have the money.

Have seen date tags that was made and passed tech. Said they were made at print shop then sewed on by hand. It dont hurt to beat the system, when the system sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

Not just seat belts !! it's the window net also. Just had RJS redo my belts & make me a new net, and in large letters they stamped last time. You can only have new fab. put on 1 or 2 times because the hardened steel goes bad.Also the same compy has to redo your belts, if rjs didn't make them new they can't put new material on them.Its the BS safty company that NHRA uses that says the belts loose almost 50% of their strenght at 1 year,witch is a lie. Even if they did new the belts are 100's of times the strenght they need be.They aren't as wide as they are because they are weak its because if they are ever needed wide belts hurt less than narrow ones.Its all about making racers spend money! it they look good they are good!

Hey don't the "Platinum series" belts give you a free re-cert (or almost free, like $20 or so) after 2 years. I bought a set for $69 and they came with this coupon that said send the harness to them and the receipt and they will re-cert them...

yeah i was a cobra helicopter tech in the army believe me you couldnt get a set in two years even if you put in for them from all the dayum paperwork!!

Racing is expensive period. That's the way it is if you want to play you have to pay. As for the belts in the aircraft, WTH if you crash in one of them you probably aren't going to survive anyway. Why even bother with the belts?

How Can You Wear Out A Set Of Racing Belts That Are Snaped Togeather 5 To 6 Times A Race, About 120 Times A Year. I Would Say The Cert Period Should Be 5 Years. But It's All About The Money.

-
Back