Nitrous with a 4spd

-

Mad Dart

Nothing to see Here!
Reaction score
Just curious as to how you guys out there configure your NOS with a Manual Transmission.

Not that I will Immediately be using it but the information is always useful.....

I am using a Digital 6 Ignition that has the ability to lock it out at lauch via a wire for the line lock and a retard once it is activated. Do you guys just have a button on the shifter? Activated at full throttle and a momentary switch to cut it off on the clutch?? The digital 6 has a 2 stage rev limiter also 1 for launch and on top.......

Anybody's input would be greatly appreciated.

Id be interested to hear about this too since i am planning a nitrous setup possibly for my ride

I had it on my street car and I simply had the on/off on the pistol grip. I'd let off the button to shift.

A window switch isn't a bad idea on a manual trans car.

I had it on my street car and I simply had the on/off on the pistol grip. I'd let off the button to shift.

I would need it to be an automatic set up Possibaly set up on the clutch somewhere. I do not trust myself to let off the button on the shifter. It could be catastrophic if I screwed up. Bouncing off the limiter with NOS full bore. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

I would need it to be an automatic set up Possibaly set up on the clutch somewhere. I do not trust myself to let off the button on the shifter. It could be catastrophic if I screwed up. Bouncing off the limiter with NOS full bore. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

Never done anything with Nos, but I would think you could get a sensor like the brake light sensor, and put it on your clutch pedal. Better actually, would be I think the switch that is behind the clutch, which lets juice through to start the car when you have the clutch all the way down. If you could set that up so that it was on the opposite side, and switched on only when the clutch was all the way out, then you could have it so the nos would cut out when you started to put the clutch in.

here is where im screwed too...i was going to run a switch for my two step and line lock on my shift knob and was thinking of putting a button on my steering wheel for the nitrous...however, i didnt know you would have to let off the button on a stick car with the nitrous while shifting gears, and i dont know how easy it would be to let off on the button on the wheel...

correct me if im wrong but a window switch basically limits the rpms that the nitrous can activate- you can set a low and a high, so say you set the low to 3k and high to 6, the nitrous will not be able to activate any lower or higher than those rpms....

here is where im screwed too...i was going to run a switch for my two step and line lock on my shift knob and was thinking of putting a button on my steering wheel for the nitrous...however, i didnt know you would have to let off the button on a stick car with the nitrous while shifting gears, and i dont know how easy it would be to let off on the button on the wheel...

correct me if im wrong but a window switch basically limits the rpms that the nitrous can activate- you can set a low and a high, so say you set the low to 3k and high to 6, the nitrous will not be able to activate any lower or higher than those rpms....

Yes this is true but you would want it to be cut off somewhere with the clutch. Otherwise like I was saying earlier it would bounce of the limiter possibly allowing the NOS to turn on and off.

When I am racing I DO NOT LET OFF THE THROTTLE AT ALL so I will activate mine at full throttle, hoping to intercept the NOS trigger with the clutch. For sure it would be a good idea to have a switch or use the DIGITAL 6 to only have it activate between certain rpm's but I do thing you would need to use a window switch or something of the sort because you would be tapped out on using the Digital 6 as far as its capibility if I am not mistaken.........I could be wrong it has been a while since I read the manual.

Never done anything with Nos, but I would think you could get a sensor like the brake light sensor, and put it on your clutch pedal. Better actually, would be I think the switch that is behind the clutch, which lets juice through to start the car when you have the clutch all the way down. If you could set that up so that it was on the opposite side, and switched on only when the clutch was all the way out, then you could have it so the nos would cut out when you started to put the clutch in.

This is a good Idea or at least a base of where to start and figure this out for sure. I need to check and see what I have there now.

I think a "momentary switch" mounted on the steering wheel is what you need. Here's the Tech Line phone # for Holley/ NOS . They can tell ya what ya need to know.. Good Luck Holley Performance Products provides award-winning technical support via phone Monday through Friday from 8AM to 5PM CST, and Saturday from 9AM to 5PM CST @ 270 781-9741.

If you can walk and chew gum at the same time you can get used to holding the button on the steering wheel down when you want your nitrous solenoids activated ( pumping NOS and Gas). Let off the button when shifting and then get back on it with your thumb. I got faith in you!

If you never miss a gear, pass on the window switch.

Think about why you'd want the window switch and the potential mishaps that may occur. It won't guarantee anything using one, but may remove the extra HP from an NOS kit just in case. Having an engine full of n2o, bouncing off the limiter, is not a good thing.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products...trols/8956_-_Window_RPM_Activated_Switch.aspx

Ok, I understand what you are saying now. I am kinda slow...........I would need a window switch to turn it off YES you would be 100% Correct. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Only 1 other problem that I could see with a Manual Trans.

OK, Nitrous is activated by full throttle.....we have a window switch shutting the NOS off at lets say 6500RPM and REV CHIP set at 6800RPM example only: When I go to shift it I would also need some type of MOMENTARY switch activated on the clutch pedal so the NOS does not stay on when the LOAD on the drive train is interupted for a flash of a second right?? Just don't want to make a mistake here. Lets say missed a shift NOS would shut off at the 6500RPM and the LIMITER is set at the 6800RPM.

I wonder if you could take the negative trigger wire for the WINDOW SWITCH and incorporate that into the clutch somehow?? If so that would interrupt the circut also as long as you were in the WINDOW SWITCH RANGE of lets say 3000-6500RPM above or below it would remain off.

Does this make sense???????

If you can walk and chew gum at the same time you can get used to holding the button on the steering wheel down when you want your nitrous solenoids activated ( pumping NOS and Gas). Let off the button when shifting and then get back on it with your thumb. I got faith in you!

I know but I don't want to chance it with the 10+k motor............

I'll tell you what. If you're spraying a decent shot (150+) things happen very, very fast. Not a lot of time to think. IMO you should just use a full throttle switch. If you can powershift it now, you'll be ok. Just make sure you have the ignition retard wired correctly wo its pulling the correct amount of timing out. Just don't full throttle it at the line until you dump the clutch. That's with the idea that you'll have a good enough suspension to handle all that shock to the tires. Spray is fun if you use it right. You do have a bottle heater and purge, don't you?

I have seen others use a throttle sensor which activates the n2o only when at full throttle. Every time you let up on the gas to shift it shuts the system down.

can someone explain to me what a full throttle switch is and how it works? and maddart i dont mean to hijack the thread, so if i am please tell me and ill take it to pms (though this seems like a good place to ask since you guys all know alot more about this then me) Duster Don, i ended up getting the same ignition box as you (the mallory 685) and as far as i know it only has a window switch...my car is also a stick like maddarts, and i will be having the two step and line lock wired up to a button on my shifter knob, so i will need to have the button for nitrous on my wheel...purgeing, remote bottle opening, and bottle heating are things i will worry about for later, but i want to understand what i will need for nitrous to work with my tranny and ignition setup and if i should be depressing the nitrous button during shifts (no powershifts for me or ill kill my tranny)

I'll tell you what. If you're spraying a decent shot (150+) things happen very, very fast. Not a lot of time to think. IMO you should just use a full throttle switch. If you can powershift it now, you'll be ok. Just make sure you have the ignition retard wired correctly wo its pulling the correct amount of timing out. Just don't full throttle it at the line until you dump the clutch. That's with the idea that you'll have a good enough suspension to handle all that shock to the tires. Spray is fun if you use it right. You do have a bottle heater and purge, don't you?

Dusterdon,

I will have every possible part that is made to do it right for sure. I just dont know exactly what I need. I figure with someones hands on experience here in this site I should be able to piece together what is needed.

can someone explain to me what a full throttle switch is and how it works? and maddart i dont mean to hijack the thread, so if i am please tell me and ill take it to pms (though this seems like a good place to ask since you guys all know alot more about this then me) Duster Don, i ended up getting the same ignition box as you (the mallory 685) and as far as i know it only has a window switch...my car is also a stick like maddarts, and i will be having the two step and line lock wired up to a button on my shifter knob, so i will need to have the button for nitrous on my wheel...purgeing, remote bottle opening, and bottle heating are things i will worry about for later, but i want to understand what i will need for nitrous to work with my tranny and ignition setup and if i should be depressing the nitrous button during shifts (no powershifts for me or ill kill my tranny)

Yeah I think you need to take it to PM's........................................

Just messin with you Mshred...........haaaaaaaa

The more the marrier for sure........both of us are looking for the same thing so if i chime out for a while by all means take the reins for sure.

Its all good!!!!!!!!!!!

If you dont lift and the engine has a rev limiter, what's the issue with a full throttle switch? Aside from perhaps blowing up a muffler or two if it hits it. I agree with the complications...lol. I had to think a lot at first. But I street raced it for 2 years that way with no limiter and no problems. The switch was like a plane's bomb release... so I'd use my thumb to hit it and it didnt affect shifting at all. Use the switch on the secondaries and pray your clutch can deal with some heat.

after doing a little bit of research, it seems that most nitrous kits come with a full throttle switch which actuates the nitrous only when at full throttle obiovusly (when the secondaries are opened)...If you are not powershifting (therefore letting off the gas to clutch and shift then back on the gas) would having a full throttle switch put stress on the engine when you get back in the gas, or would it be just like letting off the button with your finger while changing gears? also, this may sound dumb, but why would you set your limiter a couple hundred rpm higher than the high limit of the window switch?

You want your NOS to shut off before your limiter starts cutting fire to the cylinders. You don't want unburn't NOS hangin around your motor!

-
Back