No +12v at solenoid when key in cranking position

-

champyfz450

Reaction score
Hey gang, I'm having an issue with my Demon since pulling the gauge cluster to install a Holley 6.86 dash. I have no power at the solenoid with the key in the cranking position, could this have anything to do with completely removing the factory gauge cluster? Also, I should add that the car will start and idle if I "jump" the solenoid.

Thanks

Did ya check neutral safety or clutch safety witches? I seem to recall a hot wire at the solenoid being yellow? then maybe ignition switch or bulkhead connector...

Did ya check neutral safety or clutch safety witches? I seem to recall a hot wire at the solenoid being yellow? then maybe ignition switch or bulkhead connector...
Neutral safety switch is a good point! I will check that after work and report back. I had the car started last fall and everything worked as it should, the only change I remember making since then is removing the dash. If I dont get it figured out I will just install a push start button and send 12v to the solenoid from that.

the dash removal I think you have the bulkhead connector as well as the under hood side (3), including one that goes back to the trans mission neutral safety switch, and the connectors at the column, as well as the grounds from the dash to the column. But yeah a quick check would be to jump that switch with a piece of wire...or make sure that bulkhead connector is seated good.

If the neutral switch wire was off there would still be power to the yellow wire just no ground. Ground the terminal that the brown wire plugs onto at the relay. This eliminates the neutral safety switch

Hey gang, I'm having an issue with my Demon since pulling the gauge cluster to install a Holley 6.86 dash. I have no power at the solenoid with the key in the cranking position, could this have anything to do with completely removing the factory gauge cluster? Also, I should add that the car will start and idle if I "jump" the solenoid.

Thanks
WE NEED to know the year/ make model, or to put this more pointedly "IS THIS" a 74? (Seat belt interlock)

You may have gotten the shift mechanism / linkage from the column down out of adjustment when pulling the dash, OR IS THIS a console shift?

If this is NOT a 74, the electrical path for the starter relay is key switch---harness connector---through the bulkhead connector--to the starter relay coil--through it and out onto the wire leading to neutral safety at transmission---and to ground in park or neutral

Then once the starter relay is engaged, the contacts close and send power from the "big square" screw on the starter relay down to the starter solenoid

DO YOU have a factory service manual? Go to MyMopar and download one, free. You may have to settle for Dodge / vs Plymouth, etc

WE NEED to know the year/ make model, or to put this more pointedly "IS THIS" a 74? (Seat belt interlock)

You may have gotten the shift mechanism / linkage from the column down out of adjustment when pulling the dash, OR IS THIS a console shift?

If this is NOT a 74, the electrical path for the starter relay is key switch---harness connector---through the bulkhead connector--to the starter relay coil--through it and out onto the wire leading to neutral safety at transmission---and to ground in park or neutral

Then once the starter relay is engaged, the contacts close and send power from the "big square" screw on the starter relay down to the starter solenoid

DO YOU have a factory service manual? Go to MyMopar and download one, free. You may have to settle for Dodge / vs Plymouth, etc
My apologies, the car is a 1971 Demon

-
Back