no bbs ball retainer?

-

64longroof

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Opened my bbs and found the little ball under the accel. pump sitting freely in the bore.
Did any early bbs carbs not have the little brass ball retainer?

Also, the other check ball that goes in the hole in the second picuture. Should it easily fall out of the hole that the nail is pointing to? Nothing came out of this hole when I turned it upside down.
And while I'm asking, why is it recommended to appy Vaseline or oil to the leather pump piece, when the gas will dissolve it away in a short time?

The car idles well, accelerates well, but gets 17 mpg hwy, and car can stall on sharp turns, and this also results in a gas smell (no it isn't sloshing out of tank). Float is set at 5/16. Timing is only 5 btdc.

Thanks again.

IMG_20180807_222928674.jpg

IMG_20180807_222911950.jpg

Opened my bbs and found the little ball under the accel. pump sitting freely in the bore.

That's correct on '64-up BBSs. Only '60-'63 BBSs had the ball retainer. Pro tip: put the carb centre casting on a sturdy, solid surface. Put a solid round bar of metal on top of the old ball and give it a careful but firm Rap! with a hammer. This will re-form the ball seat. Pry the old ball out of the seat (if you don't have to pry, you didn't rap hard enough), throw it away, and use the new ball when reassembling the carb.

Also, the other check ball that goes in the hole in the second picuture. Should it easily fall out of the hole

Yes.

Nothing came out of this hole when I turned it upside down.

Have you verified (like with a flashlight) that there's a ball in there? Maybe it was left out the last time this carb was opened. If it were jammed/stuck, you wouldn't have any accelerator pump action and the car would've stalled when you step on the gas.

And while I'm asking, why is it recommended to appy Vaseline or oil to the leather pump piece

Oil, yes. Not vaseline or grease. You oil the leather pump cup to soften it, then manually and aggressively flare the cup outward so it will make firm, uniform contact with the pump bore wall, then roll/spin it as you carefully install it in the pump bore (if you're not careful and you try to cram it straight in, the leather will want to fold back on itself).

Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

(Oops…I forgot I don't post here any more. My brain musta been unplugged.)

Last edited:
The bbs rebuild videos part 1 and 2 on u tube could go into a little more detail, for people who actually need to view them. Thanks for your help Dan. Kind of honored that someone who has posted thousands of times would reach out to me. By the way, where are pictures of your cars on line?

Pics of (some of) (what used to be) my cars are here.

Other stuff I notice: your carb castings look to be in good condition with little or no warp between the main casting and the air horn. Still a good idea to double up on the gasket at that junction (make sure both gaskets you use have all the correct holes in the correct places; there are differences). You're missing the nipple for the choke pull-off hose (maybe it stayed stuck in the end of the hose). You're missing the tension spring on the curb idle speed adjusting screw. Also see here and here.

Pics of (some of) (what used to be) my cars are here.

Other stuff I notice: your carb castings look to be in good condition with little or no warp between the main casting and the air horn.

I plane-sanded a lot to get rid of most warp, maybe too much. I also smoothed the sharp edge in carb throat whwere air horn lands on carb body, for cleaner air flow.....need every bit of help on this 1 bbl. Still a good idea to double up on the gasket at that junction (make sure both gaskets you use have all the correct holes in the correct places; there are differences).

IIwill.
You'r missing the nipple for the choke pull-off hose (maybe it stayed stuck in the end of the hose).
Nipple is with pull off vac hose.

You're missing the tension spring on the curb idle speed adjusting screw.
Thanks.
Than see here and here.[

Did the fuel line mod and .have manifold heat deflector. /QUOTE]

-
Back