"No Budget" 1966 Valiant 100 straight axle GASSER

-
Gotta get this show on the road... I take it that you like straight axle gassers ;)

What made you think that? I can recall as a kid (5 or 6) back in like 65 all the hot cars had the front ends high - I though it was cool. Then as I got older and used to watch drag racing on TV (remember Wide World of Sports used to televise the drags for a few years) I really fell for the straight axle gassers.

Man talk about some cool videos of the non-sanctioned drag strips around.

I was diggin the tunes on the shady strip (I think that was the one with the tunes) video.

And that DartAttack was pretty wild - right hand drive to boot . . .

What made you think that? I can recall as a kid (5 or 6) back in like 65 all the hot cars had the front ends high - I though it was cool. Then as I got older and used to watch drag racing on TV (remember Wide World of Sports used to televise the drags for a few years) I really fell for the straight axle gassers.

Man talk about some cool videos of the non-sanctioned drag strips around.

I was diggin the tunes on the shady strip (I think that was the one with the tunes) video.

And that DartAttack was pretty wild - right hand drive to boot . . .

I love shadyside, if you're sober enough to figure out which car is yours, you're sober enough to race ;)
Well, maybe it isn't that bad, but it can get pretty wild.. I've quit watching drag racing on T.V. most don't even show super stock anymore... I get bored as hell seeing the same old cars at the track, mustangs and camaros, maybe a duster or dart if you're lucky.. Not many outlaw tracks are left...

WOW!! you are moving forward :cheers: I have been out most of the day , dentist :angry7:and then crashed about 3pm I think, I have been busy going though a few things out of my closet tonight and taking pictures to post them up here to find a new home for them, I just ran out of gas, and hitting the hay, You be careful and enjoy this cool build and I will catch up tomorrow :cheers:

Yeah, I know about the no inspection for 35 and older that we have. Handy, but a bit worrisome with some of the **** people try to pass off as drivable. So long as it's already been titled in NC you're good, if you ever get a project from out of state the DMV will have to inspect it first, but after that you're golden. I like the gassers, but the street freaks I don't care for. Too high up front and negates the pros the gassers were after.

I've been working on welding the spare tire well patch panel in today, who's brite idea was it to cut that out anyways??? Metal in truck is so thin it's been trying to burn through... Can't tell if I'm sun burned or weld burned... I'll get some pics posted in a few days... This is gonna be project...

Hey memike, this is the track I'll be running at.. I was at this race...
I hope your life insurance policy is paid up.
You couldn't pay me enough to run down that track.
I was telling the wife that somebodys.......... and then the nova hit the wall.
And the spectators are way to close and just on the other side of the Jersey barrier.

On another note. Good luck with your gasser project. They are CooL

I hope your life insurance policy is paid up.
You couldn't pay me enough to run down that track.
I was telling the wife that somebodys.......... and then the camaro hit the wall.
And the spectators are way to close and just on the other side of the Jersey barrier.

On another note. Good luck with your gasser project. They are CooL

Actually, it's an excellent track, the owner spent some serious cash on it awhile back.. Pro-Mod cars test and tune there...

I will go see an ol friend and see what he has in his parts pile hornet :-D
I have known him over 30 years and he has built many cool gassers and hot rods, I stopped in to look at the supper Hawk I herd he had =P~

Tim Morlin Visit 7 22 2010 036.jpg

Tim Morlin Visit 7 22 2010 037.jpg

Thanks bro...
Looks like he builds some high end quality cars there... emmmm-- SWEET!!!! I'm going to get back at it, gotta make some progess on this thing everyday...

Here's some of this weeks progress on the valiant, cut out the rear spare tire well, patched it, cleaned up this much of the trunk area and primed and painted it with some ace rust stop, later after the mini-tubbing is finished I'll grey splatter paint it all... Then put in a fuel cell and mount the battery...

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_2002.jpg

Since we're on a "NO BUDGET", heres the '73 valiant floorpan section I cut out of a 4-door at the scrap yard ( total cost $0 ), I'll be using it to start making the valiants new floorboard... I've already cut the passenger side off and started fabbing it to fit the 66 floor..

IMG_2009.jpg

Heres a few pics just how bad the valiants floorboards were, most of the orange area will be cut out, I left some of the old pan just to have an idea what a 66 floorpan looks like for when I re-do it...

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

0 build budget for parts you mean? Cause shop/welding supplies aren't cheap either.

Heres the first rear floor patch panel I mad from the 73's rear floorpan, this isn't finished yet, the third pic is the second patch panel I'll be welding in tomorrow, I'm just roughing everything in right now...

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2015.jpg

0 build budget for parts you mean? Cause shop/welding supplies aren't cheap either.

By "0" Budget I mean I'll be selling and tradein' parts I have no money in to fund the build... Obviously I wont be counting drill bit costs, gas to get to the scrap yard and welding wire etc....

That´s a very great project

I mean sero budget it´s "selling and tradein' parts"

I love this you now :)

I bet there is allot of sweet out there Hornet :-D
You are moving forward bud :cheers: The trunk and floors turned out great GOOD JOB!! :thumbrig:
I bet you are tickled to see your gasser build moving forward
It's one step at a time ain't it :happy10:
It seems like there is allot of car shows and cruises going on here in my area, I seen Jerry Hall Saturday at Hill Top gas station and said he would be at his shop Tuesday
I will see what he has in his parts pile =P~

Keep up the hot hard work :cheers:

Very Nice!!!! Love that body....my first car was a '66 valiant....stick 6.
I too am very involved in a straight axle build. Mine is a 1967 Barracuda fastback with a 354ci HEMI. I have owned the HEMI for 45 years and thought it was about time to do something with it. I would post some pictures but I am not smart enough to do so on these computer contraptions...
I used straight tube axle kit from Speedway....vega box etc. Seems to have worked out good engine/trans(4speed)/rearend all in place. One time was going to pro-street it so it has a pro-street rear frame set up and DANA 60 from S&S racecars.
I sure don't know much but more than happy to share what I have experianced.
Oh yea.....being upstate New York have to deal with some winter so that gives time to think..hahaha

Thanks guys...
memike I think I lost, sweated out about 10 pounds last week... I'm going to weld 2 long mounting brackets under the spare tire well patch when I get the fuel cell and figure out where it will mount, thats why I didn't beat any strenght creases in the patch...

Well we need to get a fuel cell so you can move forward :happy10:

pretty cool build! and don't you know the brand y guys are going nuts watching a falcon post car go away like that. ha ha

For all of you who don't know, I worked at a scarp yard 2-years ago.. I've been planning this build for a long time.. Here's the 8.8 explorer 3.73 locker rear end I'm fixing for the valiant, I'm going to have a short axle tube pressed and welded in the center section on the side the long tube was on, then I'll weld on some leaf sring perches... This rear is another scrap yard FREE-BEE...

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg

Ok, I know this is what y'all have been waitin' on... Here she is, the A-100 STRAIGHT AXLE........ scrap yard free-bee....

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

-
Back