No burnout?

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Ok it's sad, I can't get my 340 to do a burnout for love nor money.

Runs great, no bog off the line decent gears and just stock suspension and street tires, what gives?!

Specs: 650 Speed Demon mechanical secondaries, #69 Jet front #25 discharge nozzle #78 Jet in the rear with a #28.5 rear discharge nozzle on an edelbrock rpm intake

FBO ignition with a curved distributor timeing base under 800rpm at 14deg and curved to be all in around 2800rpm with 24deg

Stock J Heads 2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust

3.55 gears and a 727 with 2800 stall -2500rpm actual- stage 2 shift kit from transgo.

It runs a Hughes cam #heh2328al

111deg lobe seperation/installed centerline 108deg
intake lift .506/ exhaust .524
[email protected] Intake223deg/ Exhaust 228deg

Stock suspension and 255/60/r15 rear tires and a stock pinion snubber. Car goes great no bogs or other issues. If I hold the brake and hit the throttle the *** end will rise up and thats it just sits there and works the motor and trans. I can slide off the pedal and keep the gas matted it'll try but still no smoke.

I know this isn't a real measure of anything but still would be nice, my 98 4x4 dakota with a 318 can turn of it's 31's!

FBO ignition with a curved distributor timeing base under 800rpm at 14deg and curved to be all in around 2800rpm with 24deg

you have a total of 24* timing? usually run my small blocks at 35* +/- total.

would think that the car should be able to roast them with no problems.

The shop that built the engine curved it, they are mopar guys and a dealer here for Hughes, I know most guys run higher but it's what they said was best so I jsut set it and left it alone.

I figured it should kill the tires too but no dice, it'll chirp em on a 1-2 shift and a good squak from being rugged off the line but that's it.

I haven't tried loading it up and the convertor and seeing what it'll do but still not the burnout I want.

have you checked vacuum signal at idle? Try bumping up the initial to 16 and see if that helps.

Operator problem!!!!

Kidding. Actually, your problem is without a doubt, the timing. I had the same problem once. My uncles laughed their tales off at my expense. Cranked the total up to 37 degrees, and the old Bee woke right up! Happiest day of my life.

my 340 demon w/ 904 has no problem spinning the tires when i floor it in drive

I would start by checking the timing. 14-16* initial, 34-36* total..
I would also up those shooters. I bet a #34 wakes the low end right up.

Well I think I need to have the shop re-curve the distributer, I bumped it to 16 initial and it'll smoke em now, not some amazing rolling smoke show but it'll do it.

It's all in at about 30-32@2800rpm. I think a few more degrees in the advance would perk it up some more.

Stomping it in drive is snappier but doesn't break the tires loose. I changed the shooters down from the stock 31's because it wasn't nearly as snappy off the line and if it wasn't up to temp and you touched the pedal to get out of the alley it would shudder a little.

Once I get the distributer curved up again I think I'll try some bigger ones again.

Just for giggles, Bump the total up to 36* and see how it is. That will give you 22* initial which may be a bit much but if it doesnt kick back the starter you should be ok.

You dont have a ton of gear with 355s and a 27" tire.

Well I think I need to have the shop re-curve the distributer, I bumped it to 16 initial and it'll smoke em now,

think you should keep the dist. away from that shop. they don't sound like they know what they are doing.. get that thing at about 17* initial and 35* total in by 2200 rpm and i think you will really like it.

Longgone helped me out "big" time! I had the same problem...couldn't spin on ice "well not that bed":-D My real problem was finding the correct timing with all the engine mods. I was told 34* total timing was in the ball park "but" my light had no dial. Longgone suggested these steps..(below in link) READ thread #13.

I'm more then likely "still" out a tad but now it's kinda hard not to spin. (which we don't really want anyways) Just dig and hold on :toothy10:

Anyways..after timing as stated, just adjust your fuel mix and idle.

Good luck :cheers:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=23758&highlight=timing

The shop built my engine that did the distributor, Only issue with putting more in is the curve starts at 800rpm 5deg at 1600RPM 10deg at 2800RPM is what I was told, that beign said I might end up going to a guy in the local mopar club who has a general shop because the engine shop is too busy.

He tunes most of the 6 paks for guys around here and everythign else.

-
Back