no dash lites/blower motor 89 ramcharger

-

dodgeboy

Reaction score
just picked up an 89 ramcharger pretty darn cheap,so of course ive got some repairs to make first one no dash lites fuse is good tail lites work all works just no dash lites . any ideals where to start at/second is blower motor not workin for heat/ac when i went to check fuse its not there the spot where its supposed to be is melted badly so i know im gonna have to remove the wires and rig up somethin im thinkin motor went bad and everything melted b4 fuse blew any input is much appreciated.thx DB

Have aftermarket radio in it ? I dont know that vehicle as well as others. I do know they are all the same in many ways, so the problems are often the same.

yes redfish it does have a aftermarket radio in it,it also barely works took it out for its first long drive since i got it its gonna need some serious front end work also.

Kind of hard to read without periods and sentences. The dash lights are controlled by the headlamp switch. It has a rheostat wiper that gets corroded (all cars, even my M-B). Try spraying contact cleaner on the wire coil. If no luck, they are usually cheap. $11 switch for A-bodies. Perhaps same PN for yours. Check rockauto.

guess the cig lighter also is inop? I would look inside the lighter receiver and look for a penny or something metal in there shorting the circuit out. I have seen that a lot.

Check the bulbs and sockets on the back of the cluster and I've seen alot of the fan speed switches get to hot and be melted...

yes redfish it does have a aftermarket radio in it,it also barely works took it out for its first long drive since i got it its gonna need some serious front end work also.

I'm fairly sure your instrument housing is plastic and has or had a ground wire.
I'm not sure if the dimmer reostat in in the headlight switch for that model.
I do know the stock radio had an orange wire for the light in its dial that was operated by the same circuit.
So... You'll need to check for power on the orange wires and look for a loose ground wire and or pinched wires at the fan switch since it is in the same area the aftermarket radio was shoved into.
Hope this helps

i apreciate all the feedback, i will check these things out tomorow.and bill grissom i apoligise for my grammar .i get into a hurry and forget to punctuate properly.

Check the fusible links under the hood. I think they are on the drivers side inner fender.

The blower crapped out on my '95 Dodge RAM van a year ago. The problem was actually the fan switch on the dash. It melted internally from corrosion build-up. I don't remember whether I got a new replacement from Rock Auto or O'Reilly. Replaced the switch - good to go.

I had a 91 Dodge Ram and after chasing my tail and throwing parts at I finally checked the fusible links and bam.:banghead:

-
Back