No Fabo for a week!

-

skokz

Reaction score
Well tomorrow I will be attempting to drive 2200 miles in a 36 year old gm product(oldsmobile), that has over 200k miles, atleast not the bottom of the barrel of gm products. So it will be a interesting drive from arizona to north carolina with no air conditioning and no radio, well am but I can never find anything to list to on am stations. So if any of you guys see a 73 white olds sitting on the side of the road with the hood up dont forget to honk(just kidding) and there will hopefully be some cool pics to come in a week or so. It gonna be a long week with no fabo.

i wish you were going to say you were driving to nc with a truck and epmty trailer. is so, there is a 440 demon 4-speed in glendale that i want, but i do not want to wait for a shipping company.lol good luck on your trip

Well tomorrow I will be attempting to drive 2200 miles in a 36 year old gm product(oldsmobile), that has over 200k miles, atleast not the bottom of the barrel of gm products. So it will be a interesting drive from arizona to north carolina with no air conditioning and no radio, well am but I can never find anything to list to on am stations. So if any of you guys see a 73 white olds sitting on the side of the road with the hood up dont forget to honk(just kidding) and there will hopefully be some cool pics to come in a week or so. It gonna be a long week with no fabo.
Have a safe trip,maybe get a 12v fan that plugs into the cig lighter?Take some pics.Talk in a week!:-D

Atleast its not a Ford in the same condition, you would nearly be guaranteed to be on the back of a tow truck :D

Good luck with the drive, might want to look into an mp3 player for your sanities sake lol

wow, hey i have a 67 olds sitting in my driveway 330 v8 310 hp, next on the fix up list. good luck with your trip!

Finally got back to nc. Sadly only I made it back and the car made it to texas only. Have few pics and rest of details about what happened later. Sun burnt and tired, I think Im gonna be sleeping for few days.

Looking forward to some good news and great picture's skokz :cheers:
Enjoy we will be here waiting your return :-D

It's going to be a nice trip I bet :happy10:

Good size post. Here heads up but It worth reading!

Well not the kind of update I was hoping to make. I got back to nc but it was not from driving. It was from a 18 hour plane ride after beening stuck in texas for two days.
Pulled into a rest area to take a break for a few hours. Giving me and the car a break for a few hours.
So go to start car and fires up for about 5 seconds if that. So start checking spark good on that. Check for fuel. So after turning motor over for a minute, not at once and not enough half a shot of gas comes out.
So go and order a fuel pump but they have to order one so I got to sit in a hotel overnight waiting for one to come in the morning.
So next morning call at 10 in morning not there. Which was suppose to be. I was told to call back, will be in at noon. So noon gets here at still not there. So at this time Im suppose to be checking out of hotel. So go put stuff in car and its almost 100 degrees out. So start walking a mile and a half to the parts store atleast it was downhill there. Get there and i still have to wait for the fuel pump to come in but atleast was in ac. So 30 minutes of wating pump finally shows up. Then I get to walk the mile and half back to the car and go put the fuel pump on.
About an hour later get pump on yes took an hour. Took alot longer than I thought. Heat, sweat, grease, oil and no shade to hide in made it fun and the sun burn still hurts 4 days later.
So had some gas in a small plastic bottle, pour and fill up the float. Alright time to start it up and turn key nothing battery was to weak to start car.
So now, when I need help/hand the guy that stopped already took off.
At that time I was still putting fuel pump on. Now Im at gas station where no one can see me, Im behind gas station. So I walk over to the tire shop and ask if they can bring over one of their trucks so I can get jump.
So he walks over where the car was and Im going why not bring the truck but he did not understand I needed a jump. Get back to car and he keeps saying you need new battery. After 5 minutes he goes and gets truck.
Hook up truck and go to start cranks up but stops running so alright add some more fuel to it. Keeps stalling out. After adding about half a gallon of gas to the carb it would never run from the fuel pump.
Then after 5 minutes, it would not run at all.
So at this time It comes down to, I have to make decision do i get towed to a garage and try and get car running and hope I have no more problems rest of trip so I can get home or do I take rest of money and get cab and get a plane ticket.
After about 10 minutes I realize I don't have enough money to cover anymore problems and still have backup plan to get home incase it something else happened. Did not want to take chance considering i still had almost 2000 miles more to go.

So gas station owner, said did not have a problem with car sitting behind his business as long as it is not in way. That was nice of him. Now have to find a cab ride to el paso, that was nice 30 min ride. Get to airport and trying to find a plane to nc and there nothing until tomorrow either 8:30 am or 2:45pm. So here come day 2 in texas. Ticket price for am flight was 150 more than afternoon flight. So have to wait another 24 hours in texas.

Get to airport and first plane was suppose to take of at 2:45, plane doesnt even get to the gate until 2:50. Second flight was also late taking off. Get to third airport a little before 10 at night. That plane was suppose to take off at midnight. Third flight is 45 minutes late leaving and of course my fourth flight is suppose to leave 50 minutes after 3rd flight arrives.
I get into Newark and off the plane at 5:45am and next flight schedule to leave at 6:20. I can get to next gate at 6:10 and of course this plane leaves 5 minutes early.

So 37 year old car makes it 360 miles.
2 days in hotels in texas.
4 plane rides over course of 2 days.
Meeting interesting people in airport sharing this story.
Getting back home with no car and no money.
Priceless!!!!!!!

Long story but I think its worth it to read. I did get a few pics but I did not get alot since I was driving at night and then got to point, I did not want to take any pics.
Live life once take chances and you get stories like this to share!!

I will look at camera later and see if I did get any good pics but until then. Im gonna enjoy my saturday and watch and help fabo member load up his new dart. You will have to wait for details on that. Gotta save some for later and hopefully later on will get chance to meet and hang out another fabo member and enjoy some cold beer and nc bbq for the first time in over two months.
Peace and enjoy yall weekend!!!!!

Is there any members around that could help you out? Check the members in areas thread. We need to set up a help line for members in need on trips like this.

If its still there in a couple months, I probably can have enough money saved up. Ill probably try and find a hitch for it and a towbar and drive out my geo and see if I can fix it and get it running. If i get it running I can tow back the geo or whatever happens. I might see how much it cost to have it transported. Ill worry about it next week.

Im not sure if there any members in that area. I didn't have a laptop or even a phone with internet. So I had no way to check on here to see. So I had to leave the car in texas and I just got back home to nc for the first time in almost three months.

its a GM,sounds like a bummer trip ,ive done many cross country trips in my years,always in a mopar,had minor breakdowns,was always something i could fix and keep going,i quess i was lucky,thks jesus chrysler

its a GM,sounds like a bummer trip ,ive done many cross country trips in my years,always in a mopar,had minor breakdowns,was always something i could fix and keep going,i quess i was lucky,thks jesus chrysler

Yep you right its a gm, It was a bummer but im laughing about it now. Its not worth getting angry over. I took a gamble by doing it. On the plus side I did take it into 3 states. Next time I will do it in a mopar and not a gm product.

+1 for mopar

The car is located near fabens, if someone would be willing to tow and get running for me that would be appreciated. I can get it towed up to 100 miles for free. Also if there also members in new mexico, it about 50 miles into texas off I-10.

-
Back