No fuel in carb

-

Moparornocar51

Reaction score
Hi guys i have a 426sb from hughes with a 950 bigs carb with a race mechanical pump and fuel regulator with return line to the tank,
so when my car sit for few days 3-4 i have no fuel in the carb windows, and i have to crank crank and crank the engine, that sucks!

Do i have a leak in the carb? i read some stuff on the i-net when that happend fuel could come to the oil pan and pump ect and you could damage ur engine is that right? Because i raced last year 4-5 1/4 miles and everythime my head gasket was damaged, but maybe thats antother problem...

thx Peter

If your fuel is anything like ours it's probably evaporating. I don't know what kind of mix you guys get there, but the crap we get here is really bad for evaporation, especially if the carb has the vent tubes.

A couple of summers ago I did a little experiment where I poured about an inch and a half of gas into a cap from a spray paint can and let it sit on my workbench. It was really hot outside and very humid. 24 hours later the cap was dry, no sign of any gas.

I'm not saying you don't have a leak, but just passing along what I have seen here.

I had to install a small electric pump by the tank to get the system primed so it would fire off quicker.

Thats normal when u put gas in a spray cap and let it sit there, but the carb is closed same as the tank, when i want to start your car in summer then you also have the same fuel as you put in at the winter, i run 98 octane and the fuel here is really good,

i dunno but i think i must ve a leak in the carb...

Thats normal when u put gas in a spray cap and let it sit there,

I would have to disagree, that much gas shouldn't evaporate overnight. I could understand if it were several days.

but the carb is closed same as the tank, when i want to start your car in summer then you also have the same fuel as you put in at the winter, i run 98 octane and the fuel here is really good,

i dunno but i think i must ve a leak in the carb...

Does the carb have vent tubes like a Thermoquad. That's what I was running and had exactly the same problems you are describing. It's been a little better since I swapped carbs and don't have the vent tubes anymore.

Hi guys i have a 426sb from hughes with a 950 bigs carb with a race mechanical pump and fuel regulator with return line to the tank,
so when my car sit for few days 3-4 i have no fuel in the carb windows, and i have to crank crank and crank the engine, that sucks!

Do i have a leak in the carb? i read some stuff on the i-net when that happend fuel could come to the oil pan and pump ect and you could damage ur engine is that right? Because i raced last year 4-5 1/4 miles and everythime my head gasket was damaged, but maybe thats antother problem...

thx Peter

Let's try a differerent route,mate. Is the oil getting darker,& smelling more like fuel. Sometimes, mechanical fuel pump diaphragm's,sit for a long time. Sometimes, the mechanical fuel pump diaphragm, developes a pinhole. This leaks petrol,into the crankcase. An real obvious indicator,would show an overfull level,on the oil dipstick.

The oil is not dark because my head gasket is damaged, now its grey but the oil dip stick really smells like fuel

The oil is not dark because my head gasket is damaged, now its grey but the oil dip stick really smells like fuel

Is the oil still at the level,,it was last parked? And what's the fuel pressure regulatior set at ?

Hi the fuel level was over the line it was parked, and about the fuel pressure regulator its hard to say because the fuel pressure gauge is shacking, u can read here http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=207882

Im also confused with that because when i start the engine the first time i never had problem with my cheap fuel pressure gauge from alstars, it was set at 7psi and it didnt shacke ut now its shacking to much, maybe because it set the fuel pressure regulator wrong....? Maybe its at 10psi now, but i never had problems with the engine, like it wouldnt go to 6200rpm without problems or so, the car drived good

Might start by checking the psi,get it back down to 7 ,then check your float bowl levels.

Hi Guys i'm having issues with my Thermoquad in my 340 duster, seems i have to pour gas into the carb after the car sits for a few days cause it wont start due to lack of fuel in the carb.. anyone have this same problem????? driving me crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
Back