No fuel to carburetor

-

g413

Reaction score
I drive my 67 barracuda with a 318 2 bbl just close to home because it is not very reliable yet. A couple of weeks ago I thought I ran out gas, but a nearby friend pourred some gas in the carb and I got it home. I can't tell the gas level because gauge or sender is not working.

So I put several gallons in the tank. It still won't start so I disconnected the fuel line to the carb and cranked it about 20 seconds, and not one drop. I took off the fuel filter and tried it again -- not one drop.

So it seems like it must be the fuel pump or the pickup screen is completely clogged. And since there is no flow at all, I would suspect the fuel pump.

Anybody else had a fuel pump break? Is cranking for 30 seconds enough to get gas to the engine? Any other ideas?

Hey g really looks like the fuel pump has had it so as long as your replacing it why not get into the gas tank and replace the sending unit and filter, (blow the line out while you have both ends disconnected) and be one step closer to taking the car out of town? Pretty easy and under100 bucks to do everything !

Yep, sounds like a ruptured diaphragm in the fuel pump. Time for a new one.

Yes, replacing the sender unit was on my list of things to do. However, it may get bumped to "top priority."

Yep, sounds like a ruptured diaphragm in the fuel pump. Time for a new one.

Could be a few MORE things

Rusted through fuel tube, bad connector hoses, or the line is plugged. Could be the pump lobe came loose on the cam. It's happened. It would pay to check a few things out unless the OP just likes spending money.

Refer to the shop manual. They show a test procedure in there. One is hooking a vacuum gauge to the pump inlet and see "how hard it sucks." Min of about 12" Hg as I recall.

FIRST thing I always do when I get an old car is remove and inspect the fuel tank. If it's rusty bad in the bottom, it gets a new one. If I can save it, I take it to the local radiator shop and have it coated. I do the same with a new one. Unless you find and fix the problem at its source, you will never, ever fix it.

If the tank is rusted and gunked up badly, chances are the supply line needs replacing too. My guess is the tank has 1/2" of rust and crud in the bottom, the sending unit sock is stopped slam up, it needs a new supply line and the fuel pump is shot.

Nothing in that realm is hard to do. Very simple procedures using basic hand tools. But, if you don't find and fix the problem, you will never have a reliable car.

If it ran for any length of time the fuel filter should have shown the nastiness in the tank. The sock at the pickup doesn't stop 100% of it.
I would set my gas can by the fender and route a length of hose from it to the pump inlet. The pump should pull fuel from the can up and over the fender in a jiffy.

-
Back