No joy when using igintion switch...

-

gsoco

gsoco
Reaction score
Help please. I just reinstalled my 62 Valiant 200 wiring harness, and according to the prints it is all connected properly. It cranks when jumped at the starter, but nothing when using the key...any ideas? All suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Also common is the yellow wire on your starter relay coming from the ignition switch is not making contact. A test light when attached properly with the wire also hooked up will light up when hooked to this terminal and the key is turned to the start position. This simply confirms the relay is getting the engage signal from the key switch. If you have signal at yellow wire/relay terminal then prior posters neutral safety advice becomes more relevant. You can simply ground the terminal on your starter relay where the neutral safety wire from the trans sender attaches on and it should operate the starter. But it will start in gear so only recommended as a way to isolate the problem and not as a permanent solution.

Also common is the yellow wire on your starter relay coming from the ignition switch is not making contact. A test light when attached properly with the wire also hooked up will light up when hooked to this terminal and the key is turned to the start position. This simply confirms the relay is getting the engage signal from the key switch. If you have signal at yellow wire/relay terminal then prior posters neutral safety advice becomes more relevant. You can simply ground the terminal on your starter relay where the neutral safety wire from the trans sender attaches on and it should operate the starter. But it will start in gear so only recommended as a way to isolate the problem and not as a permanent solution.
Thanks - do you know where the safety switch is on a 62 170?

62 is pretty early for my knowledge base, but i would assume its on the transmission just like all my other mopars. Its not unheard of to knock the plug off, or forget to plug it in.
you probably want to specify if this is an auto or not.
1962 Dodge Lancer Parts | MP700314 | 1962-65 Mopar - Neutral Safety Switch - Automatic | Classic Industries

the gent above me is correct also. better starting point after visually confirming this is still attached, is the starter relay, and seeing if/where you have voltage. a test light goes a long way.

via google, i assume your starter relay looks like this.
OER 2095608: 1962-65 Mopar Starter Relay | JEGS

the big terminal pulls current directly to the battery.

the small terminal on the bottom (at a 45 degree angle) i believe will only complete the circuit if the NSS switch is showing in park/N.

the terminal in the middle will also crank the starter, but it does NOT "see" the NSS....so...it'll start in gear. be careful. use a test light to verify all this.

Left (driver) side of transmission just above the oil pan rail about mid pan. Hex body with a single threaded (10/24?) terminal stud sticking out based on stated year.

It should be noted that the neutral safety switch wire is a lone wire not in any harness and is easily misplaced/forgotten when reassembling a disassembled car of this year.

Left (driver) side of transmission just above the oil pan rail about mid pan. Hex body with a single threaded (10/24?) terminal stud sticking out based on stated year.

It should be noted that the neutral safety switch wire is a lone wire not in any harness and is easily misplaced/forgotten when reassembling a disassembled car of this year.
Thanks! I went a looked at the setup and it appears someone has grounded the wire for the starter relay already... and replaced the safety switch on the transmission with a back up light switch...followed those wires to the instrument cluster light switch...It just looks as if I get no power to the dash...

I went a looked at the setup and it appears someone has grounded the wire for the starter relay already... and replaced the safety switch on the transmission with a back up light switch...followed those wires to the instrument cluster light switch...It just looks as if I get no power to the dash...

Very odd?! Can't imagine a back up light type switch would thread into the neutral safety switch hole. For a '62 the back up lamp switch is located on the pushbutton shifter assembly and not on the transmission. But back to basics. Perform checks outlined earlier and with the neutral safety terminal on the relay grounded it should start with key. In your first post you mention it will turn over when jumped at the starter, will it turn over when jumped at the relay? It should.

Maybe we should determine automatic or manual. Manual would have reverse lamp switch in trans, two wires. No neutral safety switch. Automatic would have neutral safety at trans, one wire, and reverse switch inside the cab.

RedFish is right on all facts! Original post never said after looking back and I presumed an automatic. Some things still apply. If a manual, and using an automatic trans starter relay, the already grounded post is explained. However if starter spins when jumped at the starter it should also spin if jumped at the relay. And prior advice regarding the yellow wire from ignition switch to relay and its testing is still applicable.

If there is actually power in the cab, dome lamp and everything else works, a good ign' switch would send 12 volts on the yellow wire to start relay when switch is in start position.

Very odd?! Can't imagine a back up light type switch would thread into the neutral safety switch hole. For a '62 the back up lamp switch is located on the pushbutton shifter assembly and not on the transmission. But back to basics. Perform checks outlined earlier and with the neutral safety terminal on the relay grounded it should start with key. In your first post you mention it will turn over when jumped at the starter, will it turn over when jumped at the relay? It should.
Maybe we should determine automatic or manual. Manual would have reverse lamp switch in trans, two wires. No neutral safety switch. Automatic would have neutral safety at trans, one wire, and reverse switch inside the cab.
Sorry - I should have mentioned it is the standard duty 3 speed manual transmission.

Thanks. I found the neutral safety switch was jumpered out. I had a loose wire on the ammeter, causing the entire instrument cluster to be dead...but now IT"S ALIVE!!...Thanks for your help with this. I ALSO REPLACED THE STARTER RELAY...Cheers!
1f44d.png

All the power goes through the amp gauge so more than just inst' cluster was dead. No start, no radio, no heater, nothing.

Conditions that would have been good to know at beginning of this thread.

-
Back