1. Xtreamist

Xtreamist Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:54 PM
    I pulled the drums off the 67 Cuda over the weekend. Trying to figure out why the brakes don't work and go to the floor. The drums, shoes, and everything else in there look really good. There are no leaks in any of the lines, ect. Master cylinder is full of fluid. What are some of the other thing I can check? Maybe the master cylinder push rod is stuck?

May eventually as least do a disk conversion on the front with a new MC but for now I would like to get the drums to work. I do have a Ford 9", not sure if that matters much. The PO did drive the car, though it was about two years ago.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. Lee Robinson

Lee Robinson FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    3:54 PM
    Bad MC would be my guess, with no leaks as you describe.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • 67Dart273

67Dart273 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      1:54 PM
      MC has to be "primed." If you look up Google / etc "bench bleeding" a master cylinder you'll get lots of info. You need a way to keep the master from sucking air back in on the upstroke. There are all kinds of cheap tools for this, a kit of plugs, or a kit of adatper fittings with hoses, etc.

bench bleeding master cylinder - Google Search

Other than that.........

1...Bleed the system
      2....Shoes may not be tight enough. For bleeding, until you are done with that procedure, tighten the adjusters up TIGHT so the wheels won't move. This locks the shoes in place and you can get a better feel for what is going on.

• Like Like x 1
      1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.