NO MORE CAMPING AT CARLISLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-

hemi446

Reaction score
My friend Mike tried to get our camping spots for next year at Carlisle and was told there would be no more camping during the Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle. We have been camping since the first one 25 years ago Mike started as a vendor and I got in the act a couple of years later. I have only missed one in all those years because I was in CA for work. Over those years we went from sleeping in tents to a very nice travel trailer with A/C and as you know as we get older the more we enjoy our A/C. And over the year we have made many great friends most from far away. A lot of those friend travel days to get to Carlisle from Canada. With no camping it is sad to say those friendships will fad away because it is the only time we see each other and get to catch up. We are trying to come up with a simple solution but so far none has come up. The problem is we really like camping there you can leave your things out without someone walking off with them and you feel safe doing it. I really can't see the show expanding into the camping areas most of the time that back area is empty. But if the powers to be don't want camping that how is going to be but for one I WILL NOT BE COMING BACK me and 5 other people that camp with us have no reason to spend the money on the show and the 10 camping spots that we buy. The only reason I bring a car to the show is because so many people know the car and come looking for us I'm not interested in winning I have already done that and want to enjoy myself with my friends. It seems a shame that things that look like they are working some how need to be changed. I have said enough but if people that are interested in changing the minds of the people that make decisions like this could reach out to the management at Carlisle even if you don't camp or have interest in doing so it's still our show and we should have a say in what is being changed. How would vendors like it if all of a sudden there would be only a manufacturers midway and no one else could vend we are the ones the people that come every year and spend our money before the show even starts are the life of any show big or small. Please post your thoughts and comments. Thanks for your time Bob

That sucks!
You need to send this letter to whoever runs the show. You never know, if enough people complain...

That is going to hurt the show. Local motels gouge bad enough as it is. $200 a night in Mechanicsburg was full this year too. Whats their reason?

Mike has e-mailed the powers to be because the camping spots are in his name
To answer the other question. I was told because they want to expand the show. Expand it to were if they do away with the camping area that backs up to the turnpike they may gain 75 too 125 spots to rent out but who walks back there to look at cars. And how many people are they going to loose
ME For sure

You can add my name. Now that I'm old, if/ when I ever get "out of town" to these sorts of events, the ONLY way I can handle it physically and financially would be to crash on site.

Nobody goes back there.... they want to be near the food, the restrooms, and the vendors.

Why don't you guys voice your concerns with a thread in the Carlisle Forum. They're a vendor here & might be more likely to see it there.....

I can move this thread to that forum if needed. Just post here or send a message & let me know. Good Luck !!!!

Thanks I will, this has really got me going and it takes a lot for that to happen and I know Mikes bent real bad also. Everyone please check it out and post any and all coments maybe someone will listen if people speak up

Please clarify... You can still overnight on your paid Vendor Spots. Correct ??

My friends & I are in the same boat. This year is the first for us getting a hotel. We have been camping in side for as long as I can remember. They first took our camping sites when they started to use that so called dumb *** race track. Then they pushed us out of our other sites. That show is the biggest of all the shows they have there. We sent letters, made phone calls & nothing. They seem not to care. I don't know what they are thinking. Also a friend of mine camps there Monday thru sunday with a camper. He tried to get his sites again for next year like he always does. The woman he talked to told him there will be no camping inside the fair grounds starting next year. They have plans for that grounds.

Last edited:
Well Cawley if we can't get it changed I will drive up for one day spend 10.00 to park and what ever it is to get in I don't even know how much it is let's say another 10.00 and I will not spend another dime with them walk the vendor area and go home. I only live 85 miles away so hell I will already save money no money for camping spots no money for show field but just figure the 5 of us what about all the other campers how much less will they take in. I would be willing to pay the same price as a show field entry per camping space because a hotel room is what 200.00 a night during the show let face it it's a big show and expensive to keep up the facilities but for car people it's about the brand it doesn't always have to be about the FING dollar I think mopar people spend the dollars as long as there not being screwed over by people only looking for the dollar

Once again, greed wins out over the wellness of the people!! On a good note, the Nats is now allowing camping on the grounds, which we will be doing for the first time this year!!

And we talked about doing that but for most of us Carlisle is only 2-3 hours away. If thats what we decide to do we will just start a new tradition. It just hard to give up on something that we all enjoy so much.
I'm not williing to quit so easy and I think the people on this forum that support Carlsile Chrysler Nationals will help out and see if we can change things back. Do get me wrong I don't have a problem with change if it's good for everyone but to say they want to expand the show, again expand it to what.
There seems to be not enough hotel rooms in the area and no on site parking people are parking farther and farther away because the show is so big.
The older people will at some point not be involved with the 60s-70s cars and the young people will have to take up the slack but as one group slows down and another grows it always seems to balance out.
Yes car counts grow as more people become interested it the older cars but now the older cars are becoming the Magnums, Chargers, Neons because they are the one that are plentifull.
Still now much bigger will it grow just because there is no on site camping anymore?
Ok that's another RANT by me today. But if they have some grand plan for the camping area just explain it please don't just say NO camping sorry like the people don't matter anymore.

Once again, greed wins out over the wellness of the people!! On a good note, the Nats is now allowing camping on the grounds, which we will be doing for the first time this year!!

Really! Have not heard that. You camping at Bob's spot?

Really! Have not heard that. You camping at Bob's spot?

Oh, I think not!! We actually have 2 spots of our own this year, we have so much stuff to take!! Bob is all over the map and it's hard to get any stuff in there, he only has 7 spots!!!

We're camping along the tree line where it's shady and cool-er!! $50 for the weekend, can't beat that!!!

We just talked to them at Carlisle Production's today.... and this is what they said, there will not be any camping inside the fairground's, ONLY if you are a VENDOR!! They said the extra room is needed for cars in the Showfield, as there were so many cars, just was not enough room. They did say, that you will still be able to camp at the Carlisle show, but it is outside Gate 1, across the street, and behind the Diner and Main Fire Station. It is the very large triangular shaped property that runs north to south behind Fire Station. They also said that there is NOT any hookups, electric, sewer, or anything else of the like, so you will have to provide all of it yourself, as far as we know. I do not know what the situation is on showering/getting cleaned up, etc, that you may have to walk in the ground's to the shower's to use, but not sure at this time. So, for all of you that do/like to camp, all is not lost hope for the Chrysler's at Carlisle Show. I hope this write-up is somewhat informational to you!
Dodge33

just wondering.....what did they get for a 1, 2 or 3 day spectator pass this (2016) year?

Thanks for the information. I understand Carlisle's position on the camping but anyone that has been back in the camping area can see that the show and vendor area doesn't even come close to getting to camping area.
So someone has come up with some type of idea that the show can be grown to the point that it must take up that area as well.
All of the people that camp have alway been friendly and had a good time without being a bother to anyone.
Because we are on the Carlisle property we are free to have a beer or two or any other adult beverage without any worry about being in public with an open container, with the camping moved outside of the fair grounds that may not be possible and just think you leave your cooler sitting there unattended and someone under age helps them self does that set you up for being charged with a crime.
Just a thought

just wondering.....what did they get for a 1, 2 or 3 day spectator pass this (2016) year?

Denny, I believe someone said it was 10 bucks a day, or 20 bucks for all 3 days. I'll say this.... to me it should not be more than 6- 7 bucks a day to be a spector IMO. In my earlier post, I had mentioned 2-3 years ago, it was said that there were over 45k walk thru's (people) you are talking almost 400-500k if you pay 10 bucks a day to get in. Also, don't forget that many spectators eat there, buy soda, water, hats, t-shirts, and any other kind of memorabilia at the show! Nothing wrong with making money, you just have realize how much coin they are really making at these shows. Dodge33

thanks,.....I scored some complimentary 3 day passes for John and I.....and was wondering how hard to pat myself on the back. I guess it wasn't that big a deal.

when we hit the gate, I just told them "we're with the band"....and they let us right thru....... works (almost) every time.

thanks,.....I scored some complimentary 3 day passes for John and I.....and was wondering how hard to pat myself on the back. I guess it wasn't that big a deal.

when we hit the gate, I just told them "we're with the band"....and they let us right thru....... works (almost) every time.

I usually with the band, and it hardly ever works for me!!!

-
Back