No oil pressure...uhm...HELP

-

2darts

Reaction score
Hello all Mopar guru's, I just installed a 340 in my Dart, motor is freshly rebuilt. I've primed the motor prior to break-in, no oil pressure....uhm...removed the oil filter....no oil in the filter...uhm, removed the pump, checked the pump on the bench....lots of oil, works fine...uhm....reinstalled the pump, still no oil pressure....removed the pump checked to see if the plug is installed in the block under the rear main cap...there.... uhm...changed the pump, re-installed... still no oil going to the filter....UHM checked to make sure that the upper rear plugs are there....there....UHM!, turned the key on and turned over the engine, re-primed the pump...Still no oil pressure....I think i covered all of my bases, but I'm stuck and hoping all of my friends here at FABO can help me out...

what are you using to prime your motor?? the shop that built my motor gave me a shaft that was too short, I almost burn't out a drill before i figured it out.

Priming rod and I'm touching the bottom of the of the oil pump, I was told that mabe I have an air lock and that I should turn the motor from the balancer bolt and prime at the same time, gonna try that and see. Thanks

Did you check the direction you are turning? You may want to try the other way.

clockwise on a small block, but i tried to see if I did counter clockwise would work...didn't..... what you guy's think about the air lock theory? As it ever happen to anybody? This is my 3rd build and the others primed almost instantly

I think a good pump would pull a vacuum and remove the air. Oil pumps are positive displacemant and must have a relief to keep from blowing the filter off the motor. Is the pick up in the oil? I know it sounds stupid but I been in that boat before. I remind myself to keep it simple stupid (kiss).

Make sure the oil pressure relief spring isn't stuck. If it is, it could have metal in it, which you would want to find anyway. Happened to me years ago.
You should pm a mod and have this thread moved to "small block", where it may get more responses.

Pull the oil pressure sender switch and spin pump clockwise. Takes a while to get to the top. Stock pick up and pan? Right angle filter adapter?Did you reuse your pickup?

Ok guy's, first,... thank you for being here...We turned the crank, primed it again, I think I had an air lock in the filter,(does this make sense) once we loosened the oil filter the oil took awhile to get out of the block, but eventualy it came out, reinstalled the distributor and the oil filter,turm the motor and VOILA! we got pressure! I'm trying to send you images of the build, but can't seem to do that now,Thanks again guy's

Here you go, I think

Attachments

• side.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 122
updated, thanks again

Attachments

• IMG00963-20110317-1225.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 119
2darts, love your cars. Is the one in your avatar the other Dart?

To your question though, an air lock maybe in the pump. I like to pack them with Vasoline to make sure they prime up easy. Once primed it should blow oil into the filter. I normally wouldn't say this out loud but I've started a couple engines up after installing the trans and forgot to put the oil filter on. They make a big mes in a hurry.

2darts, love your cars. Is the one in your avatar the other Dart?

To your question though, an air lock maybe in the pump. I like to pack them with Vasoline to make sure they prime up easy. Once primed it should blow oil into the filter. I normally wouldn't say this out loud but I've started a couple engines up after installing the trans and forgot to put the oil filter on. They make a big mes in a hurry.

Yes it is, but I have to change to 4darts soon! Vasoline, I'll keep that in mind for the next one. We got her going, so thank for the great tip. These are the two others. The 68 GTS is a survivor

Attachments

• Jan_08_16 009.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 110
  • web.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 114
I know this is late, but I always pull the filter off. Any pump "pumps better" if you can reduce suction on the low end (can't change that) or reduce head pressure--by removing the filter.

Fill the filter by hand, then install, and then pull off the oil pressure sender. This also reduces head until the oil gets clear up to that point.

You mentioned turning the crank. That is necessary to line up the oil holes into the upper end to the rocker arms.

It should never take several minutes to prime an engine. A pump that is working will load even a 1/2" drill so that you really have to "hang on"

Would a air lock have caused this, It works now, but this might be usefull for somebody else that has the same problem. I hope all these great tips help other members!

-
Back