No oil to rockers but have oil to lifters what rmp to flow shafts with all new stuff

-

ev2

old guy
Reaction score
VERY LOUD AND LOTS OF NOISE!!! ROLLER CAM LOTS OF OIL PRESSURE, LOTS OF OIL AT LIFTERS,BUT NO FLOW TO HEADS WHEN RUNNING PRIME CAM JOURNALS by hand yes have oil flow to heads !!!!!!!!!but no oil at idle, no oil when revving motor a little, still no oil splash on valve springs, check oil flow again kept priming again and filled heads up with oil just about have lots of flow when line up by hand, flow's very well out every rocker when line up by hand . fire up motor and still no oil to upper shafts and rockers WHAT RPMS DOES OIL FLOW out the shafts. ALL NEW STUFF ps all hughes stuff,eddy heads super prep, roller cam ,shafts rockers ,hold downs ,bee hives springs ,retro lifters, manton cup stile push rods, [blue printed oil pump, p.o.p] meldon pan 936, pick up, REALLY NEED SOME HELP SO CLOSE BUT SO FAR

Attachments

• DSC03662.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 650
  • DSC03660.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 613
  • DSC03772.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 633
  • DSC03697.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 613
  • DSC03701.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 605
  • DSC03699.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 608
Sounds like someone installed your cam bearings barely lining up with the oil holes.

Or your rocker shafts are upside down??

This is an important enough post to include punctuation. It sure does help old farts like me read.

flows out of ever rocker when line up by hand ! like a river

Well...... IDK, I am sure someone has been here done that and will chime in. Something is for sure not right though.

Beautiful engine you got there by the way!

You sure you got the shafts on right?

Shaft plugs out? Oil galley plug under distributor left out? Bypass spring in pump left out? wow, thats a head scratcher as you got a river of oil at prime but none at idle?

Sometimes the Eddy heads have an issue with the oil passage feeding to the rocker shaft not quite being drilled all the way through & leaves a burr that blocks the passage by about 50%.
I've also seen rockershafts that have little flaps of metal where the rockerarm oil hole is drilled through with a dull bit. You'll need to extract the end plugs to verify.
I also like to grind a little slot in the shaft where the oil comes up through the saddle bolt hole to give a better flow path for the oil.

Sometimes the Eddy heads have an issue with the oil passage feeding to the rocker shaft not quite being drilled all the way through & leaves a burr that blocks the passage by about 50%.
I've also seen rockershafts that have little flaps of metal where the rockerarm oil hole is drilled through with a dull bit. You'll need to extract the end plugs to verify.
I also like to grind a little slot in the shaft where the oil comes up through the saddle bolt hole to give a better flow path for the oil.

Pretty sure he has the Hughes Banana Shafts that already have the groove's notched in them. I wouldn't doubt the eddy head oil passage problem one bit. Don't see how Hughes could have missed that on their super prepped heads though. Yeah right! They screwed my buddy over real good on a set of heads they ported so I would not put it past them.

Only thing I will buy from Hughes is their Rocker Arms and that it all!

Pretty sure he has the Hughes Banana Shafts that already have the groove's notched in them. I wouldn't doubt the eddy head oil passage problem one bit. Don't see how Hughes could have missed that on their super prepped heads though. Yeah right!
The problem I'm referring to with the rockershafts is inside the shafts. The drill used to punch the oil holes for each rocker arm can push a little flap of material that can block oil flow.
Everything you get from Hughes is top notch, just ask Dave. :finga:

If you have oil turning by hand - you have it when it's running. Here are are few things to look at:
- Like Skrews said - the shafts could have been full of shavings and "hanging chads" from drilling. I find that a lot too. Pull the end plugs, clean and deburr the holes, and re-cap it.
- If you run the studs in the Edelbrocks you may want to look closely at the holes where the oil passage flows around the stud. I use longer bolts on them with rolled threads so there's no restriction there.
- What year /type is the block?
- Hughes retro lifters?
- The cam bearing have the holes for the oil passages in the exact same spto on every bearing. But the block's feed passage can be off a little. I put a chamfer on the backside of the cam bearings that have the holes. It affectively almost doubles the number of rotational degrees the oil passages are aligned for.
- Side clearance on the rocker assemblies?

The problem I'm referring to with the rockershafts is inside the shafts. The drill used to punch the oil holes for each rocker arm can push a little flap of material that can block oil flow.
Everything you get from Hughes is top notch, just ask Dave. :finga:

I understand what you mean about the shafts, pop off the end caps and look inside.

Going to learn something good when this ones fixed up!

Lol @ Dave!

no oil when running out of rocker shafts.have oil pressure, have oil at lifters when running hughes shafts new ones with the cut on the bottom of the shaft. have retro lifters' 340 71 block. stroke, hughes studs with the eddy heads, check side clearance 0.005 to 0.015

You said you had oil when the passages are lined up and the pump is turned by hand (priming shaft) - correct?

If you have oil coming through the heads and when the shafts are installed there's no oil to the rockers, logic dictates there's a problem with the rocker assemblies, be it the shafts, studs, or whatever else. I think you should inspect the clearance around the studs VERY well as moper suggested. Then, it you don't find anything there, I would splatter those rockers and shafts all over the work bench until I found the problem.

"If you have oil coming through the heads and when the shafts are installed there's no oil to the rockers" NO shafts are install i do have oil flow WHEN PRIME BY HAND LOTS OF OIL. but no oil when running ps thanks for all the feed back someone been here i know it

OK, so when you prime by hand, you have oil at the rockers?

The engine runs. So we can eliminate the intermediate GEAR and cam GEAR. So, I would inspect the intermediate shaft end where it engages the oil pump and the oil pump female hex very closely. Do you have an oil pressure gauge on it? What's it read when the engine is running VS you priming it by hand?

Real head scratcher there. As has been asked already - the shafts are oriented properly? On my SB with the Hughes I had to install the end plug last because it would interfere with the end studs. Don't know if that matters but I was kinda concerned about restricting the flow path.

Why not call Dave since I see a lot of his stuff in the pics.

And that engine bay looks SWEET!

-
Back