No oil to top end

-
UPDATE: installed brand new oil pump, still no oil to top end.

To re iterate more clearly, absolutely nothing on the motor was touched outside of pulling the intake, putting a timing chain in, and cleaning the rockers/lifts/pushrods, then reassembly.

No cam swap, no cam bearings ext....i dont know what to do now. Rockers are properly installed. Double and triple checked and even turned motor over without them installed at all. Not 1 single drop of oil to the top end.
Then why in the WORLD replace the oil pump? That action alone shows you're not even thinking.

Another question to make sure I'm understanding. So, you took the rocker arms...shafts, bolts and all off the motor and spun the oil pump with a drill and no oil at all came from the second rocker stand from the left on either head? If that's the case, there's some serious crud stopping the oil galleys up. You should be very slowly rotating the motor (plugs out) while turning the oil pump clockwise with the drill.
YOU STILL MUST rotate the crank, or index it to line up the oil passages in the cam.

stripped intermediate shaft? oil pump not seated or aligned properly?

have you primed the motor using a hex shaft and drill while slowly turning over the crank shaft and observing the pressure on a gauge plugged into the sending unit port?

So how did you run the engine with no rockers installed?
Was wondering the same thing.

We’re assuming you have good oil pressure.

It’s not a complex system and there is not much to go wrong . Wiped out cam bearings might do it but that is rare. You must have made an incorrect assumption somewhere like the rocker shafts being installed correctly. Pull the rocker assemblies,plugs, distributor and drive gear and spin the pump cw using a drill and priming shaft. You will have to slowly rotate or bump the crank to find the top end oiling positions. The oil should shoot out of the heads.

It's pretty obvious the talking of "running" without the rocker assembly was referring to the running of the pump. Poor choice of words, yes.

It's pretty obvious the talking of "running" without the rocker assembly was referring to the running of the pump. Poor choice of words, yes.
Just trying to understand what the ‘test’ was

But the better the communication, the better his chances to get help.

It's been brutal.
It's always like this. People either don't know how to communicate a point across, or they just slap refuse to and expect it to be handed over on a silver platter. Not talking specifically about the OP here, just a general statement. If I ever need assistance with something, I include enough information to choke a horse.

It's always like this. People either don't know how to communicate a point across, or they just slap refuse to and expect it to be handed over on a silver platter. Not talking specifically about the OP here, just a general statement. If I ever need assistance with something, I include enough information to choke a horse.
I'm sure my machinist shakes his head every time I leave the door.

Passenger side head notches UP on rear of rocker shaft...Will restrict flow if not addressed...ask me how I know

It would help if the OP would confirm if there was oil pressure on the gauge or not. Oil pressure in the engine with no oil to rockers, is very different from no oil pressure anywhere.

No oil pressure anywhere..we spun the motor over with the starter with rockers removed for like 10 minutes. No oil.

Also the oil drive gear wont come out of the top of the motor

No oil out of the side of the block where the filter mounts?

got a bone stock 360 LA with a brand new oil pump in it. Running the motor absolutely no oil is coming to the top end, all the passageways appear to be clear, we blew air thru them,and we even pulled the rockers and ran it that way and still no oil came up.

Pulled oil pan and pump, put pump in a tub of oil and spun it with a drill and it flung oil everywhere like theres nothing wrong with it....what else could be causing this?
When you had the motor running and no oil to the rockers was there oil pressure on the guage in the car?

Sounds like bigger issues than no oil to the top end. The gear should come out with a pull and a twist. I use a big magnet to grab it.

Sometimes using a large screwdriver you can walk the pump shaft out. Or take thin flat bar stock and make a " L" shape and hook it under the gear....

OR try a magnet ^^^^^.....

Maybe the intermediate shaft is broken? The shaft didn't engage the pump??

Hate to be Captain Obvious.............There is oil in the engine?

When you did the TC, any chance that a bunch of crap fell into the pan and blocked the pick-up?

Also the oil drive gear wont come out of the top of the motor

that sounds like the source, or close to where the source of your problems lie.

try bumping the motor over with a remote starter while looking down in there and see if the shaft and gear and moving independently.

i also wouldn't put it past being sheared in the middle and stuck in the block both ways. top turns but the bottom doesn't drive the pump.

step one is that you gotta get that out and use a hex to prime/run the pump and see if you actually have oil moving.

i'm betting when you remove it you'll likely find the cause

that sounds like the source, or close to where the source of your problems lie.

try bumping the motor over with a remote starter while looking down in there and see if the shaft and gear and moving independently.

i also wouldn't put it past being sheared in the middle and stuck in the block both ways. top turns but the bottom doesn't drive the pump.

step one is that you gotta get that out and use a hex to prime/run the pump and see if you actually have oil moving.

i'm betting when you remove it you'll likely find the cause
gonna try to pull the intake tomorrow to have a better shot at getting to it

-
Back