No power to instrument panel lights.

-

Ron Grubb

Reaction score
It’s a 1965 barracuda. I have power to all other fuses in the fuse box except the instrument panel light fuse location. Have metered the connections all have 12 volts except that one for the instrument panel lights. Help please!

The schematic shows that fuse getting its power from the headlight switch. It is wire E1 on this schematic. I would check the connection at the switch for E1 which should be tan in color. If it is connected, check continuity between it and the fuse panel. Also check if there is power at the connector for the tan wire on the switch. Hope this helps

upload_2022-5-25_16-22-54.png

Is the instrument light rheostat turned the correct way?

And functional?

HOW THIS WORKS. The light switch has TWO power sources. One supplies ONLY headlight power. The second is FUSED and powers the tail/ park, and the instrument lamps. When the light switch is ON power from the tail circuit is connected internally in the switch to the dash dimmer control which must be TURNED LEFT and then that dimmer controlled power comes out of the switch on TAN, goes TO the INST fuse in the panel, and from there distributed to all dimmer controlled lighting, via orange wiring

So all those conditions must be in place for the INST fuse to get power

HOW THIS WORKS. The light switch has TWO power sources. One supplies ONLY headlight power. The second is FUSED and powers the tail/ park, and the instrument lamps. When the light switch is ON power from the tail circuit is connected internally in the switch to the dash dimmer control which must be TURNED LEFT and then that dimmer controlled power comes out of the switch on TAN, goes TO the INST fuse in the panel, and from there distributed to all dimmer controlled lighting, via orange wiring

So all those conditions must be in place for the INST fuse to get power
Beat me to it again. That happened to me. A long look at a good wiring diagram helped me solve it.

The dash light fuse only has power when the light switch is turned on.
Thanks; now I have demonstrated that my wiring knowledge is … we let’s say not exactly top draw. I have an additional question. Blower motor works if hot wired directly to battery. But doesn’t when the hot ( green) wire is attached. I have a full 12 v at the green wire. Checked the connectors have good contact. Do I have an amperage problem?

Not sure. May be dropping voltage in the fuse/ clips/ switch or wire connections. Look in the shop manual and see if there is an amp draw spec on the motor.

-
Back